Join TexasGunTalk

Interstate shipping

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Austin Cowart, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Austin Cowart

Austin Cowart Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    Guys someone explain interstate shipping to me. As I read it I can ship without an ffl to a private citizen as long as they are a resident and residing in my own state. someone help me out.

Cheers
    Austin

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Someone will probably post up an answer, but you can always call these guys with any question. I have called them and they always tell me what I need to know.

U.S. Department of Justice
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    Dallas Field Division
    1114 Commerce Street
    Room 303
    Dallas, TX 75242
    (469) 227-4300

3. Austin Cowart

Austin Cowart Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    thanks

much thanks

4. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    My understanding is if you ship, you must ship to an FFL holder, in state or out. Face to face in Texas requires no FFL. I could be wrong..........or not. I'd like to know what you find "on the books".

5. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    I always send guns to a FFL.I am not a lawyer but I always do this to protect myself.

6. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/pdf/pe.010.00.000046.00.pdf

Section 46.06 is the section you want to reference:

TEXAS STATE CODE:

I really don't have all the answers. I have heard a lot of speculation about various shipping methods, and I only have a little experience myself with inter-state shipping. Judging by the few times I've tried to ship a gun for an interstate transaction, UPS, USPS, and Fedex all whine incessantly about that you can only ship to a FFL or manufacturer.

7. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looking at the Texas State Code I quoted above, you can see that all of the legal terminology states that you cannot KNOWINGLY sell to an individual meeting several specific characteristics. The burden of proof rests on the state/city/DA. Ideally, ask to see both a driver's license (to prove residency) and a CHL. The reason for that is if someone has a CHL, they are considerably more likely to be a law-abiding citizen, so it's added assurance you aren't selling to some nutjob. At the very least, in a face to face transaction, at the least I would still request to see a driver's license to at least prove residency, age, etc. Some people won't budge on selling without seeing a CHL also. Personally I think that in a FTF transaction, in addition to checking their license, talking to the individual for a few minutes alone will tell you a heck of a lot about their character and whether you want to be selling to them or not. I like chatting about firearms anyways, so personally I'm going to make a point to do this on any future FTF sell I happen to make in the future.

8. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    USPS GUIDELINES:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065404

In short, technically you can't ship handguns by USPS if you are a civilian. Shotguns and rifles are fine. Judging by the text of their regs, it appears that they will not accept shipping of any NFA weapons (short barrel shotguns, short barrel rifles, machineguns, etc).

9. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    UPS GUIDELINES:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...es/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearms

Basically the jist, you can ship handguns, shotguns, and rifles, but only to an FFL. They don't accept shipping of NFA firearms.

10. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    FEDEX REGULATIONS:

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms

The jist of those is basically the same as UPS, for most of it they defer to federal law. So handguns, shotguns, and rifles are in. As far as NFA stuff goes, I have no idea about any of that and I certainly wouldn't be the person to ask. ;) In the state of Texas, there is no law prohibiting an individual from shipping a firearm to an FFL or manufacturer. It looks like individual to individual is not allowed anywhere in state or federal regulations. Maybe someone can give a definite answer and cite the actual regulations (I browsed but it's late, I'm tired, and probably missed some stuff). Until then, I'd say it looks like you'll have to deal with an FFL. If it's convenient and the distance in travel isn't beyond reason, then a face to face transfer is always an option.