• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Heres the deal. We will be taking road trip up the northern and north western states, two of which do not recognize Texas LTC. As I understand the law, I can do this provided my handgun is transported according to certain federal guidelines, I’m not asking for legal guidance. What I want to know is would you do it? My plan would be to take my 7rd single stack with 2 mags. While in Oregon and California the pistol would be transported in a field strip state. My problem is, with Texas plates I don’t want to be singled out for a traffic stop. I don’t know what the cops view is of handguns and I do not want to be the subject of detention. I do not have unlimited funds and any sort of legal issue out of state would likely cost me my job and wipe me out financially. Can anyone from those two states chime in? Am I a Texas redneck and a potential target? I suppose I can register for a carry insurance, but is it worth it?
    Guns International

Doons

FJB
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    Fort Worth
    A buddy just got back from a car trip to Commiefornia. I didn’t ask specifics but he said he had to lock the gun up and separate from the ammo. I‘’m sure you can find the law(s) for transporting your weapon In CA and OR. He has Texas plates, was in the LA area for a week and had no issues…. Other than feeling naked without his carry gun on. It was back on as soon as he crossed into Arizona on the way home.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Heres the deal. We will be taking road trip up the northern and north western states, two of which do not recognize Texas LTC. As I understand the law, I can do this provided my handgun is transported according to certain federal guidelines, I’m not asking for legal guidance. What I want to know is would you do it? My plan would be to take my 7rd single stack with 2 mags. While in Oregon and California the pistol would be transported in a field strip state. My problem is, with Texas plates I don’t want to be singled out for a traffic stop. I don’t know what the cops view is of handguns and I do not want to be the subject of detention. I do not have unlimited funds and any sort of legal issue out of state would likely cost me my job and wipe me out financially. Can anyone from those two states chime in? Am I a Texas redneck and a potential target? I suppose I can register for a carry insurance, but is it worth it?
    California I get...But don't worry about Oregon. Research what states view your rig as a domicile or if you travel, travel with an RV. Oregon law of transporting a gun I can't repeat off the top of my head, you will have to look it up. You aint gotta strip the thing but I think as long as the gun is in a case and the mag is outside the gun you're gtg. Oregon law, other than sb941 is actually pretty chill. Avoid Corvallis, Springfield, Portland. Lebanon and Linn county is a safe zone for you. Be polite and you will not be bothered. Locals and LE there will most likely want to see the guns you have to drool and talk about em. No...I'm not kidding. Linn County deputies are pro gun. They have actually delayed people while doing a traffic stop because they wanted to talk about a gun. Actually one guy who I won't reveal, someone over knew to the area got pulled over and lectured the driver about not packing. That it was his civic duty...

Last edited:

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    • Firearms must be locked up in a hard case.
    • Mags must be unloaded.
    • Mags must be 10 rounds or less capacity.
    • Ammo must be stored separately.
    • I don't think there's federal restrictions on transporting a handgun between states for personal use so long as you're driving.
    • CHL insurance is a good idea, but I don't know if it helps you with guns not legally stored. Check with the insurance provider.

The above applies to California. Oregon has a pending voter initiative requiring a firearms license to even possess a firearm. You should check to see if it's passed yet and what exceptions are carved out for visitors bringing guns into the state.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I am specifically concerned about Oregon and California. Crater lake is one of the stops wife wants to make. That, and there’s the only vegan tiddy bar in the US located in Portland. Wife is onboard, so I say why not?

**edit, I’m not vegan. I just think it would be a cool accomplishment, especially since accompanied By wife. Perhaps I’ll get her a lap dance,

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I am specifically concerned about Oregon and California. Crater lake is one of the stops wife wants to make. That, and there’s the only vegan tiddy bar in the US located in Portland. Wife is onboard, so I say why not?
    Dude just read the laws for each state. Go have fun. I myself...I wouldn't go into Cali. Colorado is a short drive if you go that way but just fyi they have crappy laws and lots of speed traps. That state is stupid. Just an observation. I didn't get a ticket.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Big mistake. Federal transport laws allow you to transport but you can't stop anywhere, just keep going and you must follow every rule. Not worth the risk and if they stop you and arrest you you lose your ability to own a firearm. Those Texas plates will get you. That's when you know LEO per se don't respect the constitution.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Doesn’t Colorado have reciprocity with Texas?
    Limited. See: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/tx-gun-laws/

If either Oregon or Washington are your destination states on this trip and if you cannot legally possess a handgun in those states, then you cannot legally transport your handgun to either under 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms. The handgun must be legal in the state from which you depart and legal in the state to which you are going - for you to be able to legally transport it as per the requirements of said statute. Why risk an arrest that could result in doing time for you!

That said, I surely would not risk traveling to, or carrying in, WA or OR with a handgun except for the fact I am covered by LEOSA. Even then, I'd be concerned about carrying if I inadvertently came within 1,000 of a school zone; LEOSA is not an affirmative defense for violation of the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Traveling with and carrying on are two different issues. However the reality to Glenns warning is if you plan to travel with there will be some part of your brain that would have you use it if needed without thinking of consequences. Sad how all of this is designed to take away your natural right to self preservation.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    • Firearms must be locked up in a hard case.
    • Mags must be unloaded.
    • Mags must be 10 rounds or less capacity.
    • Ammo must be stored separately.
    • I don't think there's federal restrictions on transporting a handgun between states for personal use so long as you're driving.
    • CHL insurance is a good idea, but I don't know if it helps you with guns not legally stored. Check with the insurance provider.

The above applies to California. Oregon has a pending voter initiative requiring a firearms license to even possess a firearm. You should check to see if it's passed yet and what exceptions are carved out for visitors bringing guns into the state.

Be a good time to break out the revolver for this type of trip....

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball

**edit, I’m not vegan. I just think it would be a cool accomplishment, especially since accompanied By wife. Perhaps I’ll get her a lap dance,
    Be careful. That vegan tiddy bar could be crawlin with monkeypox.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have been driving the country for many years including CA, CO, and OR with Texas plates in a vehicle that will stand out from a crowd.

I carry everywhere but know the consequences and make my own decisions. That's for you to decide though.

Here's the thing. Don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself. That's the best way to avoid trouble. Follow the traffic laws and don't drive like an asshole.

You will not be singled out because you have TX plates. That's not a problem in my experience.

People have been moving all across the country for many years now, especially people moving out of Commie states to Texas. Texas plates visiting their old home state isn't as unusual as you might think.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Limited. See: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/tx-gun-laws/

If either Oregon or Washington are your destination states on this trip and if you cannot legally possess a handgun in those states, then you cannot legally transport your handgun to either under 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms. The handgun must be legal in the state from which you depart and legal in the state to which you are going - for you to be able to legally transport it as per the requirements of said statute. Why risk an arrest that could result in doing time for you!

That said, I surely would not risk traveling to, or carrying in, WA or OR with a handgun except for the fact I am covered by LEOSA. Even then, I'd be concerned about carrying if I inadvertently came within 1,000 of a school zone; LEOSA is not an affirmative defense for violation of the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990.
    This is my concern

Top Bottom