• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    A few years ago a Texas family was driving through Baltimore. They were stopped, ended up with four cops searching their vehicle, bags, and anything else they had, because "they were from Texas and had to have guns". When they finally gave up, the family was left on the side of the road with their possessions scattered as a result.

My concern is, with the lowered standards for recruitment and training of LEOs - not to mention the Leftists indoctrination in Blue states, there are too many LEOS with the wrong attitude on the road today. And with them it will not take much to go from a routine traffic stop to a beating, arrest, or a fatality.
    This is my concern
    Texas SOT

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yes, I did that. I have deduced that I can legally do so. If traveling through. I don’t know what the attitude is over there. All it takes is one technicality and I’m in legal trouble. What if we make a side trip and they don’t consider that passing through. If it somehow results in a felony, then there goes my hobby.
    There is no difference to them if you are traveling through. If you are stopped, you are in their state. They will treat you according to their state laws.

Might you eventually get out of it? Maybe. But at what expense?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heres the deal. We will be taking road trip up the northern and north western states, two of which do not recognize Texas LTC. As I understand the law, I can do this provided my handgun is transported according to certain federal guidelines, I’m not asking for legal guidance. What I want to know is would you do it? My plan would be to take my 7rd single stack with 2 mags. While in Oregon and California the pistol would be transported in a field strip state. My problem is, with Texas plates I don’t want to be singled out for a traffic stop. I don’t know what the cops view is of handguns and I do not want to be the subject of detention. I do not have unlimited funds and any sort of legal issue out of state would likely cost me my job and wipe me out financially. Can anyone from those two states chime in? Am I a Texas redneck and a potential target? I suppose I can register for a carry insurance, but is it worth it?

Please be aware that some States don't respect the federal firearms traveler protection law(s), which they allow only in appeals after State court convictions.

IANAL.

leVieux

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I think the states you gotta avoid are Cali and Colorado.
    I moved from CO to TX last year, in part due to the 15 round limit for the state and the growing trend in MSR bans once pre-emption laws were removed. That said, drive the speed limit through Denver city and county, avoid Boulder, and try to keep to the Interstates. Almost all the County Sheriffs said they would not enforce the mag limit, so I think you are relatively safe passing through.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Several years ago as a part of their drug program in Shelby County, TN, law enforcement would sit at the County line and stop vehicles with FL or TX tags.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Several years ago as a part of their drug program in Shelby County, TN, law enforcement would sit at the County line and stop vehicles with FL or TX tags.
    Sadly, I think the red state/blue state thing is degenerating into a Cold "Civil" War. You might look to federal government to stop this, but red vs blue Congress and political appointee government officials seem to be encouraging it.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Seriously, you’re overthinking this. When was the last time you had an LEO interaction? That’s the likelihood side of the risk equation. The impact side is anywhere from to talking to thru state charges.

On the other side is likelihood needing to defend yourself and impact of not being able to.
    Concur with this. For years I drove to visit my mom in Maine during the summer and I had to drive through NY and Mass each way. Never stopped, even while driving my Corvette with TX plates. When the Mrs was flying we would bring her TSA issued handgun with her fed creds so I figured that would cover us, but even the times I was alone no problem.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    An interaction in Texas with L.E. will very probably turn out just fine, you being a law abiding citizen, but the same situation in a commie state...not so likely.

And as an afterthought, why help any commie state economy with one's spending in their welfare state?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I am specifically concerned about Oregon and California. Crater lake is one of the stops wife wants to make. That, and there’s the only vegan tiddy bar in the US located in Portland. Wife is onboard, so I say why not?

**edit, I’m not vegan. I just think it would be a cool accomplishment, especially since accompanied By wife. Perhaps I’ll get her a lap dance,
    Be aware, titty bars are thicker than convenience stores in Portland. You may be looking for the needle in the haystack.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Much as I would like to visit my sisters, I have no plans to ever cross the CA line.
    I wrote off the west coast and most of the east coast years ago, and I'm from the west coast. Fortunately I've been to Crater Lake a few times and titty bars of Portland several times. Vegan? Who wants to see stripping vegetables?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Transporting Firearms in California​

1. Home
    2. Firearms
    3. Transporting Firearms in California

HANDGUNS​

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.
    Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
    Yeah, the California and Oregon cops have ALWAYS followed the law to the letter.

Trust me, if you get pulled over and they find handgun, they'll find a reason to take it in most cases. The Oregon State Police are notorious for doing things like that, especially if you're out of state.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A few years ago a Texas family was driving through Baltimore. They were stopped, ended up with four cops searching their vehicle, bags, and anything else they had, because "they were from Texas and had to have guns".
    IIRC, in the aftermath of that incident it came out that some MD LEAs had vehicles with license plate readers. The readers are linked with servers at home base that automatically run all plates. Plates were matched to owners. Owners who had an LTC were flagged and the LEOs in the car got a notice of same.

Of course, all this takes place in a fraction of a second.

It turned out that for some LEAs, sighting a car whose owner had an LTC was considered by them to be sufficient probable cause to make a stop and fully search the vehicle.

I suppose I could hit up a search engine and try to verify my memory but that's unnecessary. If I'm wrong, someone will let me know. :)

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Traveling with and carrying on are two different issues. However the reality to Glenns warning is if you plan to travel with there will be some part of your brain that would have you use it if needed without thinking of consequences. Sad how all of this is designed to take away your natural right to self preservation.
    Well, maybe. The US Federal courts here in LA have told the State that they cannot enforce the 1000’’ SCHOOL ZONES UNTIL THEY CAN PRODUCE CLEAR (DIGITAL) MAP APPS showing individuals where they can’t go. s
    So far, no-one has even tried, so it is moot for now But, the ib intend to violate our Constitution in every way posssible.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’m leaning toward going naked on this trip. I‘ll carry a knife and mag light. The car we are taking is fully insured, and we won’t have a lot of cash with us. If we were just passing through, then I’d go or it. But, we will be stopping for tours and such which is a gray area in my mind. Appreciate everyone’s input

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I’m leaning toward going naked on this trip. I‘ll carry a knife and mag light. The car we are taking is fully insured, and we won’t have a lot of cash with us. If we were just passing through, then I’d go or it. But, we will be stopping for tours and such which is a gray area in my mind. Appreciate everyone’s input
    I’m leaning toward going naked on this trip
    They will really like you in Cullarado and Commiefornia. And you'll be ready for the vegan strip club.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Colorado Springs has a bunch of military bases in it. Many military drive cars licensed in their home states. Northern CO also has a lot of military across the border in Cheyenne WY. It is not unusual to see out of state plates all over the I-25 corridor and heading west on I70 into the mountains for recreation. I don't think LE as a whole target out of state vehicles to hassle red staters. I think some areas (small towns, poor counties) might be more inclined to pull over out of state speeders, but this is easily mitigated by driving the speed limit through CO. personally, I would have no problem driving through CO with an unloaded weapon locked in the trunk.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    While travelling the interstates (and mainly travelled highways) in Oregon, just remember, the Oregon State Police are sticklers to speed limits. Unlike CHP and WSP, they'll pull you over for just going a couple miles over the speed limit.

Top Bottom