• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slim jim

Official News Guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Iowa Senator to Stop Buying Pizza Hut if It Fires Delivery Man Who Shot Robber

Tuesday , April 01, 2008
    foxnews_story.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

An Iowa state senator has vowed to stop buying Pizza Hut products if the chain fires a Des Moines delivery man who shot a teen who tried to rob him last week.
    Sen. Brad Zaun, R-Urbandale, told other lawmakers that he supports the delivery man, James William Spiers, according to a report in the Des Moines Register.
    "I think what he did was the right thing," Zaun said Tuesday. "If I was in a situation to protect my family, protect myself, to continue being a father, I would’ve done the same thing."
    The chain has suspended Spiers pending an investigation, the Register reports.
    "We have policy against carrying weapons," Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas told the paper for a March 28 story. "We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."
    But Zaun thinks Spiers, who had a permit to carry the concealed weapon, was well within his rights when he fired the shots March 27, so Zaun is "going to be watching Pizza Hut."
    Kenneth Jimmerson, 19, who was hit with three bullets, called 911 for medical help and subsequently was arrested on a charge of first-degree robbery.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344608,00.html
    Military Camp

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If it's true, and if he gets fired.......hes alive and sounds like was within his rights to use deadly force so good for him. Pizza Hut would also be well within their rights and have a duty to uphold policies they must be fair and consistent in enforcing so good for them.

If it's a company policy, it's a company policy and he knew it and had a choice. Regardless of what some Senator who's trying to be popular thinks. It would be irresponsible for him to persecute a company for being fair and consistent in running their business. God knows people beat the crap out of companies if they even think they're not being fair and consistent. Working to change the policy is one thing but that has nothing to do with this.

The guy's alive, he shot a bad guy and that's good; if he loses his job, big deal. He'll have offers lined up now that it's in the press.

Another jack ass politician sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for one thing, personal gain.

For the record, I think the guy should get a medal for shooting the punk. I also think if he broke company policy, he should not be excused from whatever disciplinary action is prescribed by that policy. Then life goes on. :D

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Oh, but I'll add this. I'd like to see the policy and how they worded it and exactly what it restricts if he was in his personal vehicle. I'd be surprised if a policy could limit someone form carrying in their personal vehicle, but who knows. That's why they have attorneys to help put these things together.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Oh, but I'll add this. I'd like to see the policy and how they worded it and exactly what it restricts if he was in his personal vehicle. I'd be surprised if a policy could limit someone form carrying in their personal vehicle, but who knows. That's why they have attorneys to help put these things together.

The only way I can see it is if he uses gets reimbursed mileage by the company. In other words, if he uses it on the company dime, they can tell him not to have a gun in the car.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The only way I can see it is if he uses gets reimbursed mileage by the company. In other words, if he uses it on the company dime, they can tell him not to have a gun in the car.

The company does not own, or insure the car. It's not their jurisdiction. If that was the case, then my employer could fire me for having a firearm in my house since I am working from home and it's against their policy.

Mileage is an additional income to replace the Government tax benefit. If it was making the car part of their jurisdiction, then anyone that used their car for business and wrote of the mileage on their tax forms should be able to apply for Government vehicle plates.

Top Bottom