• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Sitting at the VA hospital this morning listening to a young man trying to explain to his (I believe) grandfather about closing apps that were running in the background on his Iphone. He was telling him to double click the Home Button and view all the apps running and then close them to save battery life. I have always made sure I close web browsers so they won't keep running but had always thought that installed apps just quit running when you use the Home Button to go back to home screen. Am I missing something here? How else do you close an app when you through using?
    Gun Zone Deals

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Okay....anyway short of deleting app to stop them from running when not using?

You don't actually delete the app. You kill it under the "task bar" that pops up at the bottom after you double click the Home button. You touch one of the app icons and hold it there until they start wiggling and a red X appears. Touch the red X's for each one you want to kill. When done, press Home again.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    You don't actually delete the app. You kill it under the "task bar" that pops up at the bottom after you double click the Home button. You touch one of the app icons and hold it there until they start wiggling and a red X appears. Touch the red X's for each one you want to kill. When done, press Home again.

Thanks Tom! You can teach an old dog new tricks!:cool:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    There are several other things to do to preserve battery life as well. Screen brightness, push notifications, wifi, etc. any app you open stays open forever in the background it is just suspended.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    There are several other things to do to preserve battery life as well. Screen brightness, push notifications, wifi, etc. any app you open stays open forever in the background it is just suspended.

Thanks Winchester. Was comparing my Ipad's battery life (time in between needed charges) to my sister's Ipad and it turns out the difference was screen brightness as you suggested. She keeps her too dark for me and I have mine as bright as I can get it. May try to tone mine down some.

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX

Not entirely correct. Many apps will leave a portion of themselves executing in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Not entirely correct. Many apps will leave a portion of themselves executing in the background.

If you want to get down to technicalities, any app opened is always executing something in the OS to enable it to come out of hibernation. So, ALL apps leave a portion of themselves executing in the background. We are now officially splitting hairs.

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    If you want to get down to technicalities, any app opened is always executing something in the OS to enable it to come out of hibernation. So, ALL apps leave a portion of themselves executing in the background. We are now officially splitting hairs.

That was the point. If you have a large number of apps in hibernation, it can affect battery life. Opening the task bar and cleaning it out regularly is a good practice to keep your iOS device running efficiently.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    That was the point. If you have a large number of apps in hibernation, it can affect battery life. Opening the task bar and cleaning it out regularly is a good practice to keep your iOS device running efficiently.

Exactly, I mentioned other things that will ALSO help and said that apps opened are always open just in the background, and you replied with not correct?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Most background apps are suspended. Apple calls this Fast Switching. A few apps, streaming, music, gps, do multitask in background and burn battery life.

Another way to save battery life is to turn of wifi, bluetooth when not needed.

Top Bottom