• ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Uspsa/ipsc

Anyone here try it? In August I'm going to my first match just wondering if anyone has gone and kinda what to expect.
    Texas SOT

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    USPSA is the US branch of IPSC (which is worldwide); there are some domestic differences, but they are very close.

Seems to de fairly close to the same idea.
    IDPA and USPSA are close, but the devil is in the details. The scoring is different. The mindset is different. There is overlap in equipment. For instance, if you have an IDPA-legal rig, you can find a division to shoot in USPSA (just bring 2-3 extra magazines). However, going the other way is not as clear and gets into the devilish details. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Lee

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    In USPSA, you can shoot a single stack 1911 in Single Stack or Limited 10 divisions. The 2 differences are ammo capacity and equipment; SS allows 8 max (for 45) and carry-type gear, while L10 allows 10 max, and almost any safe gear (like Limited or Open divisions). Either way, you will reload more often than the Limited or Open shooters, in that respect it is "harder" but you do not compete directly against them, only against your own division.

Lee

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    Is there some kind of compensation or porting on the barrel? Maybe a scope? Those are the only ways you would get bumped to Open. A racy holster would knock you out of Single Stack, but only to Limited or Limited-10.

Lee

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    I am not sure if they are doing a real IPSC match, or USPSA. They are sometimes used interchangeably, but there are some fine details. A plain 1911 in 38 super would be Single Stack, and your ammo is probably minor power factor. A club might choose not to recognize SS (their perogative) but the next likely spot is Limited 10. Sometimes someone hears "1911 in 38 super" and they think the only possibility is an open race gun.

Single stack rules are at USPSA rules "Revised April 17, 2009", pg. 51.

What I said before:
    SS allows 8 max (for 45)
    If you go minor power factor, SS allows up to 10 rounds loaded, if your mags can hold them.

Lee

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My mags are 9 rounds but I'm gonna meet up with the guy that runs the range and get a general idea of what to expect and see the range first hand. All I have seen is what is on youtube which is kinda intimidating but o well.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Shooting that pistol in single stack you won't be at any major disadvantage. In that division you can't have many changes to the gun or use a race holster. The round won't put you in open. Depending on the power factor your bullet makes, the bullets weight times velocity, you may be shooting either major or minor. That won't make much of a difference in your first match so don't worry about it. Just ask the match director about it when you sign up.

Don't worry about the videos you see on youtube. Most of those are from the better shooters. At a local match there will be a wide range of skill levels. As long as you shoot safely no one will care about how quick you are. Just focus on following the rules and getting your hits. You'll naturally speed up in your first few matches once you get more comfortable, just don't try and force yourself to go faster. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from your first match and have a lot of fun.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Thanks I'm still waiting on all the info I requested from the head office and looking forward to shooting I've always thought it looked like fun and just found out we had a range here.

Top Bottom