• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenGoodLuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    North Dallas
    Irrational Houston Faculty Come Unhinged Over Campus Carry

A slide show was presented at a recent discussion regarding the Texas state law which will allow students (and faculty members) to legally conceal carry on school campuses statewide. The slideshow says, in part, that faculty may not want to “go there” to avoid creating a tense situation in their classroom, suggesting their law-abiding students may very well draw their weapon if they don’t like what they hear.

I looked up the senate president, Jonathan Snow, and found his email address at Jonathan Snow. This is the email I sent him:

Dear Dr. Snow,

I read with concern your comments in a recent Houston Chronicle article (UH faculty suggest steering clear of some topics if students armed - Houston Chronicle) in which you are quoted as saying: "Academics know the intrusion of gun culture into campus inevitably harms academic culture." As a scientist, do you have any statistical evidence to back up that statement?

What is objectively and empirically proven is that concealed handgun permit holders are among the most law-abiding citizens in Texas, if not THE most law-abiding citizens, with an almost non-existent record of committing crimes. Please see https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Reports/ConvictionRatesReport2014.pdf. As you peruse this report, you may notice the overwhelming number of 0% for crimes committed by CHL holders. For 2014, the total offenses committed in Texas were 47,413, of which an astoundingly low 111 crimes were committed by CHL holders, representing just 0.2341% of the total.

Moving beyond the statistics, CHL holders are required to be fingerprinted and undergo a background check conducted by both the Texas Department of Public Safety and the FBI. They must also take a handgun safety course and prove proficiency in Texas laws concerning use of a deadly weapon. The minimum age to receive a CHL is 21, which means that most students on campus would not even have a CHL.

Let's take a look at the logic behind the faculty's fears. The UH faculty senate passed a resolution stating "The diverse academic communities and free academic discourse are especially threatened by the presence of deadly weapons in teaching, research and living spaces, "How does the very presence of a gun or knife threaten anyone? Guns and knives and other deadly weapons don't shoot or stab by themselves. They require the action of a human. Hands can also be deadly weapons. So the issue isn't the presence of an object, but the presence of humans intent on causing harm. Legislation and resolutions can do nothing to prevent a human who is intent on inflicting harm from doing so. Banning guns on campus will only prevent law-abiding citizens from carrying on campus. Criminals and those intent on causing harm will not, and have not, been prevented from acting by signs, resolutions, laws, and fear.

I saw this slide as part of a presentation that was made at a recent discussion:

29fz7ep.png

The above advice might be warranted for all students, or specifically for any student that the faculty senses is exhibiting errant or disturbing behavior, but there is no reason to believe that only students with a CHL should be included in this advice. Dropping 'certain topics' from a curriculum because of 'fear' regarding a sub-set of students smacks of fear-mongering and discrimination. A college campus should be a model forum for discussing all topics in a civil, calm manner, with room made for different opinions and viewpoints.

What the Senate will accomplish if guns are banned on campus will be to create a gun-free zone where homicidal maniacs can act with impunity and have no fear of people on campus defending themselves. I urge you to reconsider your proposals and allow concealed carry on campus, because otherwise, the only people who will have guns on campus will be criminals.

Sincerely,

Ben [name]
    [address]
    [phone]
    Hurley's Gold

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Lol. I read it a bit different.

It says don't be an A-hole and bully students to me.

Have a buddy that said it best, he really loves open carry. He can now get mad and challenge anyone who disagrees with him to a duel at high noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

The gun-HATING leftist bigots of academia won't listen to reason, as they have "book smarts" but little commonsense.
    Also, they LIE like rugs, when faced with their lack of knowledge, especially when caught in their mean-spirited, ignorant & foolish lies..

Truth is that their numbers are FEW but their voices are really LOUD & filled with prejudice against things they don't (and worse WON'T) understand. = In some ways they are just as evil & blinded by their prejudices as the worst of the racists.

ImVho, what needs doing is to FIRE a few of the worst loudmouthed zealots & the rest will STOP being so openly hateful.

just my OPINION, satx

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Excerpted from the OP's post, I found the following startling, as anti-gunners usually blame GUNS having minds of their own causing mayhem:

"Guns and knives and other deadly weapons don't shoot or stab by themselves. They require the action of a human.

Do tell.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Hysterical Libtard should be nervous about the way they use their condescending mouths to teach a class of young people's. I have seen the inside of many colleges and Universities where the "faculty" do little in the way of teaching but rather push their Libtard agenda.

I for one like this very much and hope that there is a shift to a more equal and civil manner within the classroom however its reached.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    There is much truth here!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I remember back in the 80s when universities changed employment contracts for professors from 9 months to 12 months (pay wise) so they couldn't get unemployment and food stamps during the summer. You would have thought they had been mugged and raped or something. They were entitled to those freebees. Liberal jerks.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Are these the same brave Liberals who talk about speaking "Truth to power" but kowtow to the threat of Islamic violence?

Real brave of them. Talk big but the very idea of a gun in the classroom and suddenly it's all "be safe"

They obviously don't believe in themselves as educators and clearly see students who disagree with them as the enemy. If you really don't want guns in your classroom have a rational debate about the issue, college is supposed to teach critical thinking after all.

Problem is gun control is all about emotion these days. Facts are not on their side, which is why they have these ridiculous and cowardly tactics.

No respect for the lot of them. Won't stand up for their own beliefs but want to tell me what mine should be? Sod off swampie.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    BGL, please let us know if (and what) he responds. Would be interested to see if he has the courage to discuss this. Would like it even more if he was willing to come here to discuss with the group. Although I disagree with his presentation, I always welcome hearing another opinion and I would like to hear the "why" and "proof" behind his thoughts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Irrational fears from the academic "intelligentsia", what else would we expect.

As to the tsip Dean who supposedly quit over this (a lie, I would suspect) - don't let the door hit you in the backside...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    And well done, Ben.

I would add how will anyone be intimidated since the gun would be concealed? Can the prof's smell a gun? Xray vision? Someone could be illegally carrying in their class today...

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    The funny thing is...if they are so "scared" of the class, why not arm up themselves and take some defense classes...where have the teachers with the motherly/fatherly instincts all gone?? They should want to protect the whole class from harm, wherever that may come from.

Also, regarding the powerpoint slide, what do they mean by "that student"?? The crazy one who is most likely less than 21 years old and not licensed? Hmmm...because you won't know who "that student" is if they remain concealed...wow, just....wow...

BenGoodLuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    North Dallas
    Dr. Snow replied to my email:

Dear Mr. -,

Thank you for your thoughtful email. I am well familiar with the assertions you make regarding CHL holders. I would be interested in knowing what your familiarity is with campus culture. Have you ever taught university students or advised them in a professional capacity? Have you ever mentored students or faculty?

My presentation to *faculty* had to do with faculty and their interaction with students. So far, nationwide no faculty member, even ones who own guns and are in favor of 2A rights, as I am, have taken exception to the topics I have raised. Many people from outside the campus community have taken it upon themselves to instruct me how to interact with students and fellow faculty.

I would be interested in your perspective on the issue of power and its expression in the classroom, especially if it is informed by some experience in that setting.

Sincerely,

Jon Snow

And this is my response:

Dear Dr. Snow,

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand why I have to be familiar with 'campus culture' in order to make my points I've never taught or advised university students, but I believe that people are people and we can engage in dialog with anyone in a rational, calm manner, unless a specific person demonstrates that they are unable or unwilling to do so. Dealing with students on campus is no different than dealing with people in a mall, an office, or on the freeway.

Are you saying that 'campus culture' is so out of control that professors are seriously considering not discussing topics that might offend students? If that's the case, we have a more serious issue. Students could possibly be offended by any topic, which would make all topics possible off-limits. I doubt that's the goal of a higher education.

You assert that 'nationwide no faculty member' has taken exception to the topics you've raised. Even if that is demonstrably true, is what you are saying true and unassailable? You state that "Many people from outside the campus community have taken it upon themselves to instruct me how to interact with students and fellow faculty." Does this mean that professors and faculty can only be instructed by other professors and faculty? Given that the University of Houston is a public institution of higher learning, funded by taxes, then all citizens have a right to make their opinions known to professors and faculty of that institution. You are servants of the public and the public has a right to let you know how they feel.

My perspective on the issue of 'power and it's expression in the classroom', is that generally, the professors have the power. Although I don't have recent experience, I was a student once, and my kids are college students now. The professors have the power - to control the class, to influence their students' thinking, and to set expectations in the classroom.

Guns are inanimate objects and a fear of inanimate objects is irrational. It's ironic that Texas grants the privilege of driving to persons from the age of 16 and up, and many young drivers drive irresponsibly and dangerously. Yet no one has called for the banning of automobiles on campus. Concealed carry is available to citizens 21 years and older who have demonstrated good citizenship, responsibility, and have passed a criminal background check. Those are the kinds of students you should WELCOME into your classrooms.

Sincerely,

Ben

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom