APOD Firearms

Is a .410 Shotgun Effective for Deer Hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I understand killing for survival. However, Indians were also know for running whole herds off cliffs to supply their needs. I don’t think they were too concerned about the Buff no matter what Costner likes to portray.
    Capitol Armory ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I understand killing for survival. However, Indians were also know for running whole herds off cliffs to supply their needs. I don’t think they were too concerned about the Buff no matter what Costner likes to portray.

mongoose,

Running buffalo off cliffs was a VERY rare thing & ended with the coming of the horse to NA culture. In any case, the animals that were killed were utilized. = Our ancestors were NOT wasteful.
    (Hunter-gather cultures do NOT waste protein or any other possibly useful item.)
    To quote a British Army Colonel who lived with the Cheyenne for about 10 years in the 1830s, "Every part of the buffalo was used, except the grunt."

My sincere suggestion to you is to believe ONE PERCENT of what the "historians" claim about the American Indian. = The vast majority of "modern historians" are HATERS.
    (Btw, when I was in grad school at Tulane, one of my history professors said that we AI "- - - -fully deserved everything that happened to them, as they were primitives, unwilling to change their ways, in the way of progress & 'had to step aside' for a better & more advanced American society.")

just my OPINION, satx

Patience0830

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    FreeStateuv IN
    Yes, a .410 will kill a deer. Probably farther away than anybody here is willing to admit. Depends on how far away it will accurately deliver a slug. And how far you're willing to follow a difficult blood trail. But it's a good example of what can be done, but should probably not be attempted. You can kill deer with headshots from a .17 HMR if you're accurate. Doesn't mean you should try it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Yes, a .410 will kill a deer. Probably farther away than anybody here is willing to admit. Depends on how far away it will accurately deliver a slug. And how far you're willing to follow a difficult blood trail. But it's a good example of what can be done, but should probably not be attempted. You can kill deer with headshots from a .17 HMR if you're accurate. Doesn't mean you should try it.

Patience0830,

The ONLY "currently loaded" .410 round that MIGHT be suitable for killing WT is the "5 pellet" (difficult to find in then USA) 000 Buckshot shells that are loaded/available in Asia. = Those 000 rounds will cleanly kill "WT-size game" out to 25-30M by a "cool shot".
    (Some Asian nations do not allow civilian ownership of firearms that are larger/more powerful than the 3" .410 shell.)
    NOTE: There once (circa 1890-1920) was a 300 grain RNL conical-bullet round at about 1600FPS & that was loaded into 2.5 & 3 INCH .410 brass cases. - That cartridge efficiently (called: "THE PARADOX SPECIAL SHELL") collected all sorts of beasts, including TIGERS out well past 100M.
    (The firearms that fired that ammo were mostly SMOOTH-bore, except the last 4-6 inches of the barrel, which was rifled.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Patience0830

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    FreeStateuv IN
    Patience0830,

The ONLY "currently loaded" .410 round that MIGHT be suitable for killing WT is the (difficult to find in then USA) 000 Buckshot shells that are loaded/available in Asia. = Those 000 rounds will cleanly kill "WT-size game" out to 25-30M by a "cool shot".
    (Some Asian nations do not allow civilian ownership of firearms that are larger/more powerful than the 3" .410 shell.)
    NOTE: There once (circa 1890-1920) was a 300 grain RNL conical-bullet round at about 1600FPS & that was loaded into 2.5 & 3 INCH .410 brass cases. - That cartridge efficiently (called: "THE PARADOX SPECIAL SHELL") collected all sorts of beasts, including TIGERS out well past 100M.
    (The firearms that fired that ammo were mostly SMOOTH-bore, except the last 4-6 inches of the barrel, which was rifled.)

yours, satx
    Thanks for the info. Haven't seen .410 slugs in some time. Guess that's why.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Patience0830; All,

Btw, up to about 1920 there were PARADOX loads for 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 & 20 gauge double-barrel "partially rifled" shotguns. FYI, most of the PARADOX GUNS were modified in British India. = The recoil of the 8/10/12/14 gauge Paradox loads were said to be, with British understatement, "quite significant".
    (The 8-gauge paradox brass case shell was 4" long & fired a 1/5th POUND or about 3.25 ounce lead bullet at 1500FPS.)

Note: The famous tiger hunter/author COL Jim Corbett owned/hunted Asian Gaur & tigers with a 16 gauge Paradox gun that was made by BOND ARMS of London & "modified by" SHIKARI ARMS CO in New Delhi, India circa 1910. - Col Corbett said that his paradox gun was "strong medicine" for Gaur.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Patie0830,

ImVho, .410 slugs are essentially WORTHLESS & therefore aren't easy to find for sale.

FWIW, I have an OLD 20 gauge FOX DB, that is "shooter grade", i.e., re-blued long ago. - I've seriously considered having it "sawed-off", rifled, sights fitted & made into a PARADOX gun.
    (I have the dimensions for the old CONICAL 550 grain PBCB bullet for 20 gauge. YES, empty brass cases are available though "NOT CHEAP".)

"In the thick stuff" that firearm would be A KILLER on most anything out to 100M. = I suspect that 600 grains of #1 Alloy at about 1600FPS would "hit with great authority".

yours, satx

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Only if you caught him in the shower
    100.gif

Nexus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Haven't heard this kind of odd shotgun hunting question since I had to endure living in Massachusetts for a number of years. "Shotgun Only" deer hunting sucks.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I used .410 slugs ONCE aligator hunting. Muzzle about 3 inches from 8 foot gator skull and the slug bounced off, went through the gunnale of the aluminum boat, punched through the ice chest and lodged in seat. SO my answer is. Unless you stick the muzzle in the deer's ear NO! It would be unethical to attempt to use .410 slug on a deer.

Top Bottom