• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Better know by seasoned citizens as farsightedness. We just can't keep the front sight in focus anymore. Darn. So I have converted over my rifle and pistols to red dots after trying several different corrective eye glass solutions (over the counter and prescription). Now get the red dot on the target and good to go. Yes, there is a learning curve/transition period after using iron sights.

To help with the transition I watched and learned from a number of gun channels on YouTube. Which you can watch them here.

I don't offer any suggestions which red dot is better/worse for any given firearm. There are more than enough opinions in the videos and elsewhere. The question for you is it time to switch if for no other reason than I can't see the front sight clearly anymore and its not going to get any better. May all your shots be bullseye, A Zone, 10/5 points or whatever be it with iron or red dot sight.
    Texas SOT

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm a believer in red dot sights. I have mounted red dots on most of my rifles. I have presbyopia also, but I don't have a problem shooting with iron sights as long as I'm wearing my glasses. Red dots are great as long as you don't have a bad astigmatism. I would use the red dots even if I had 20/20 vision, except on hand guns.

Last edited:

SimonRL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Planet Earth
    Yea, a red dot will help you because you don’t focus on the dot, you focus on the target and overlay the dot on the target. If you have astigmatism it can cause the dot to flare or sparkle, but you can still get rounds on target easier. I have red dots on the vast majority of my pistols and I am all in on them.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Better know by seasoned citizens as farsightedness. We just can't keep the front sight in focus anymore. Darn. So I have converted over my rifle and pistols to red dots after trying several different corrective eye glass solutions (over the counter and prescription). Now get the red dot on the target and good to go. Yes, there is a learning curve/transition period after using iron sights.

To help with the transition I watched and learned from a number of gun channels on YouTube. Which you can watch them here.

I don't offer any suggestions which red dot is better/worse for any given firearm. There are more than enough opinions in the videos and elsewhere. The question for you is it time to switch if for no other reason than I can't see the front sight clearly anymore and its not going to get any better. May all your shots be bullseye, A Zone, 10/5 points or whatever be it with iron or red dot sight.

Thanks so much for putting these together !

leVieux

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I fixed this by getting my eyes fixed instead. Laser Lens Replacement. Like cataract surgery but for vision correction. Expensive, but so far I am seeing very good one month out. I can now see both the front sight and the target clearly like in my younger years. Never get cataracts now either. My near vision was terrible and had to have glasses to read or see anything up close.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    You might try talking to an opthamologist. They can usually manufacture a custom lens that will focus at a specific distance. I had a pair made. I stood in my shooting stance and had my wife measure the distance from the cheekbone below my dominant eye and the front sight. Do this with all the guns you care about using to get a distance range.

Take it to the Doc. Mine built me a pair of bifocals with the focus lens on top and a distance lens on the bottom. Or you might want a closer view on the bottom. That's your call. I chose to have bifocals with a line as that gives you the best field of view versus the progressive lenses. In addition I stuck a magnifying sticker "lens" on it.

Word of caution: do not attempt to drive home from the range in these.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Those might work okay at the range but not so much in real life. The main reason I went with surgery. Still find myself reaching to either take them off or put them on (glasses). I had glasses all over the house, car and work just in case. So far have rounded up 17 pairs from over the years and donated them. Don't have to buy prescription Maui Jim sunglasses any more either!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    There is no such thing as a whole-eye transplant. The optic nerve, which goes directly to the brain, cannot be transplanted. Easy Peasy right?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is no such thing as a whole-eye transplant. The optic nerve, which goes directly to the brain, cannot be transplanted. Easy Peasy right?

The First and Second Cranial Nerves are considered by many to be extensions of the brain, rather than actual "nerves", although the Second does have nerve-like structure. So far, there has been no successful reconstruction or funtional anastamosis of either.

leVieux

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    To continue this discussion here is an article from American Rifleman magazine Aug 2021 issue reviewing the optics market. There is lots and lots to choose from and the writer does an excellent job of helping one sort out what could or won't work.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I'm not as "seasoned" as some individuals on here, but I do have trouble shooting with iron sights at a distance be it a rifle or a pistol. I have been putting scopes on all my rifles since my arms got too short to read papers in front of my face. I added an RDS to my first pistol last year and I love it. I can shoot better than I did back in my 20's. I have even added a quality RDS to my 9mm carbine too. Call it cheating or a crutch or whatever, I'm enjoying it.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX

I am in the same boat, last year I began to use readers. Went to eye Dr, said it was just old eyes. I have excellent far vision, but can't see anything closer than 10 inches. I do have a RDS on my AR, which is set as far forward on the top rail as possible. During the day/bright light, the dot is clear, but in dim light, the dot is fuzzy. May be going to a LPVO here soon.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I hope someone has an answer to my problem. I recently acquired a S/A XDM with the Vortex Venom already mounted at the factory. I put the battery in and cannot find the red dot. My wife sees it just fine. I wear glasses with mild correction both top and bottom and have no problem with seeing the front sight, but there is no red dot. I have seen it a couple of times when I've tried it, but it's never easy, and today I can't find it at all.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I hope someone has an answer to my problem. I recently acquired a S/A XDM with the Vortex Venom already mounted at the factory. I put the battery in and cannot find the red dot. My wife sees it just fine. I wear glasses with mild correction both top and bottom and have no problem with seeing the front sight, but there is no red dot. I have seen it a couple of times when I've tried it, but it's never easy, and today I can't find it at all.
    If you have seen it before, we know you are capable of seeing it. Red dots on pistols take a lot of practice.

I love them on carbines, but on a pistol, I’m iffy. I have an RMR on a G34, but I will never impress anyone with my shooting on that gun. I know I need to practice a whole lot more with it. Practice seems to be the answer.

SimonRL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Planet Earth
    My Dad has the same problem. I can see the red dot just fine but he cannot see it for love nor money.

Top Bottom