• ...and so much more!
  • glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Thinking the battery might be the problem, I replaced it, turned it on, and there's the bright red dot. I can see it well. It's going to take some practice to feel natural with it. I wonder if my wife was just seeing the red fiber front sight and thought that was what it was supposed to be. I was planning on putting this one up for sale but I'm keeping it now.
    Hurley's Gold

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    I'm not as "seasoned" as some individuals on here, but I do have trouble shooting with iron sights at a distance be it a rifle or a pistol. I have been putting scopes on all my rifles since my arms got too short to read papers in front of my face. I added an RDS to my first pistol last year and I love it. I can shoot better than I did back in my 20's. I have even added a quality RDS to my 9mm carbine too. Call it cheating or a crutch or whatever, I'm enjoying it.
    I love pistol red dots. Target focus is where it’s at. It is truly transformative IMO.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    If you have seen it before, we know you are capable of seeing it. Red dots on pistols take a lot of practice.

I love them on carbines, but on a pistol, I’m iffy. I have an RMR on a G34, but I will never impress anyone with my shooting on that gun. I know I need to practice a whole lot more with it. Practice seems to be the answer.
    If you have shot a fair amount and have a consistent presentation, it’s really not that bad to get used to it. The biggest issue IMO is to train yourself to look at the target and let the dot show up. Don’t go looking for your front iron sight. Once you get comfortable with this, it becomes second nature like throwing a ball.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    To continue this discussion here is an article from American Rifleman magazine Aug 2021 issue reviewing the optics market. There is lots and lots to choose from and the writer does an excellent job of helping one sort out what could or won't work.
    At the bottom of the online article mentioned above, you can print off as a PDF the chart featured.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    You might try talking to an opthamologist. They can usually manufacture a custom lens that will focus at a specific distance. I had a pair made. I stood in my shooting stance and had my wife measure the distance from the cheekbone below my dominant eye and the front sight. Do this with all the guns you care about using to get a distance range.

Take it to the Doc. Mine built me a pair of bifocals with the focus lens on top and a distance lens on the bottom. Or you might want a closer view on the bottom. That's your call. I chose to have bifocals with a line as that gives you the best field of view versus the progressive lenses. In addition I stuck a magnifying sticker "lens" on it.

Word of caution: do not attempt to drive home from the range in these.
    Instead of going to eye doctor there is a company in Texas who can take your prescription and make sunglasses (or clear lenses). What I like they can make curved sunglasses that wrap around the eye socket. I discovered them browsing a motorcycle magazine. The curved lenses better protects than flat lenses the optical shop usually offers. Now I can wear the same glasses at the range (impact resistant) and while out and about daily events. BTW: my first pair from this company had the focal point where my front sight was clearly visible, but they were only good for pistol shooting. Very expensive solution for part time hobby. When I went to red dot sights I can use my progressive eye prescription for the sunglasses and they are good for all outdoor wear.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Better know by seasoned citizens as farsightedness. We just can't keep the front sight in focus anymore. Darn. So I have converted over my rifle and pistols to red dots after trying several different corrective eye glass solutions (over the counter and prescription). Now get the red dot on the target and good to go. Yes, there is a learning curve/transition period after using iron sights.

To help with the transition I watched and learned from a number of gun channels on YouTube. Which you can watch them here.

I don't offer any suggestions which red dot is better/worse for any given firearm. There are more than enough opinions in the videos and elsewhere. The question for you is it time to switch if for no other reason than I can't see the front sight clearly anymore and its not going to get any better. May all your shots be bullseye, A Zone, 10/5 points or whatever be it with iron or red dot sight.
    Since the first posting on this topic I have added more videos about red dot sights to the playlist mentioned above. I found the videos from the 1911 Syndicate on training to use the red dot sight helpful.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Instead of going to eye doctor there is a company in Texas who can take your prescription and make sunglasses (or clear lenses). What I like they can make curved sunglasses that wrap around the eye socket. I discovered them browsing a motorcycle magazine. The curved lenses better protects than flat lenses the optical shop usually offers. Now I can wear the same glasses at the range (impact resistant) and while out and about daily events. BTW: my first pair from this company had the focal point where my front sight was clearly visible, but they were only good for pistol shooting. Very expensive solution for part time hobby. When I went to red dot sights I can use my progressive eye prescription for the sunglasses and they are good for all outdoor wear.
    These are my current prescription outdoor glasses with progressive lenses (no line between focal points). They have turned out to be excellent shooting glasses with a red dot. With a progressive lenses one just 'learns' to point their nose/face and the object is in focus. With a red dot I don't have to have a clear distinct front sight picture; see the dot on target pull trigger.

Attachments

• 20211112_151813-COLLAGE.jpg
      20211112_151813-COLLAGE.jpg
      363.1 KB · Views: 89

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Better know by seasoned citizens as farsightedness. We just can't keep the front sight in focus anymore. Darn. So I have converted over my rifle and pistols to red dots after trying several different corrective eye glass solutions (over the counter and prescription). Now get the red dot on the target and good to go. Yes, there is a learning curve/transition period after using iron sights.

To help with the transition I watched and learned from a number of gun channels on YouTube. Which you can watch them here.

I don't offer any suggestions which red dot is better/worse for any given firearm. There are more than enough opinions in the videos and elsewhere. The question for you is it time to switch if for no other reason than I can't see the front sight clearly anymore and its not going to get any better. May all your shots be bullseye, A Zone, 10/5 points or whatever be it with iron or red dot sight.
    And now no BS from someone who really knows his firearms, legal defense, author, LEO training and just about every thing firearms related;
    "Massad Ayoob's Pros and Cons of Red Dot Optics for Every Day Carry Handguns". I have added this video to the playlist metioned above. Disclaimer: years ago I was able to take one of his training courses when he came to north Texas. Well worth the time and $$$$. He and his instructor team knew their stuff.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    If you have seen it before, we know you are capable of seeing it. Red dots on pistols take a lot of practice.

I love them on carbines, but on a pistol, I’m iffy. I have an RMR on a G34, but I will never impress anyone with my shooting on that gun. I know I need to practice a whole lot more with it. Practice seems to be the answer.
    For those who have/had trouble finding the dot (like me) after decades of using iron sights, watch the videos from the playlist mentioned at start of this topic. I recommend the ones from Sage Dynamics, Massad Ayoob, Jerry Miculek, 1911 Syndicate, Grand Thumb as they offer their solution to finding the dot. For me it was drawing the handgun in a consistent manner and practice.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These are my current prescription outdoor glasses with progressive lenses (no line between focal points). They have turned out to be excellent shooting glasses with a red dot. With a progressive lenses one just 'learns' to point their nose/face and the object is in focus. With a red dot I don't have to have a clear distinct front sight picture; see the dot on target pull trigger.

Yes, BUT, post cataract surgery, my corrective vision prescription has changed numerous times in the first two years post-surgery.

I have worn the "no-line" glasses for years, both before & after the surgery. I strongly getting a refraction & new prescription from an Ophthalmologist first.

As the "Varilux" lenses are expensive and difficult to fit properly, I always go to a real expert. The best I know of in Texas for this are Phl Delphin @ Hermann Eye Center in Houston and "Fred" at Garland Eye Center in Dallas metro. Just tell either that an Old Doc in LA sent you. If you need a new refraction, they can arrange one on-site, done by an Ophthalmology Physician.

In my experience, those "shopping center" places are both expensive and incompetent.
    leVieux

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

Practice is definitely an answer to shoot fast, but anyone should shoot better as a general rule with a decent optic.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    For those who have/had trouble finding the dot (like me) after decades of using iron sights, watch the videos from the playlist mentioned at start of this topic. I recommend the ones from Sage Dynamics, Massad Ayoob, Jerry Miculek, 1911 Syndicate, Grand Thumb as they offer their solution to finding the dot. For me it was drawing the handgun in a consistent manner and practice.
    I had a bit of trouble from the draw at first until I heard Julie Golob say something to the effect of “…when sighted in, your pistol red dot should be pretty much in line with your iron sights, so just look for the front sight like you’ve always done, and it should be there…”.

I tried it…it works!

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I set up red dots sights on these guns for my shooting partner. He is 81 years young. He also has an XDm 9MM I don’t have a pic on, but same exact setup. He mainly shoots the .22’s, 9 & .45. Not much .40.

For the last 5 years or so, he would get very discouraged shooting his pistols. Just had a very hard time hitting things and was discouraged. Then, a mutual shooting friend introduced us to red dot sights.

Fast forward to today. These are his guns I’ve set up for him:

4743FD39-C6E8-4292-8925-F850E2EE785C.jpeg F3B64F16-FED8-4259-9DEA-E3221AC6EFE9.jpeg DB4997DC-D836-4F56-9D69-5850696D8BAB.jpeg

Now, he is always looking forward to shooting and we get out a couple times a month. We shooters off a table set on two saw horses at 12 yards from the targets.

this is a typical 10+ round target shot by him at 12 yards:

A53D259A-6674-4AC7-B7A6-5E300ABD6D94.jpeg

I’ve seen the happiness and pride in my friend’s eyes when he shoots one hole groups with his XD’s and .22’s. It’s brought a sport he has loved for 60 years back to him.

They work…

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I set up red dots sights on these guns for my shooting partner. He is 81 years young. He also has an XDm 9MM I don’t have a pic on, but same exact setup. He mainly shoots the .22’s, 9 & .45. Not much .40.

For the last 5 years or so, he would get very discouraged shooting his pistols. Just had a very hard time hitting things and was discouraged. Then, a mutual shooting friend introduced us to red dot sights.

Fast forward to today. These are his guns I’ve set up for him:

View attachment 292983 View attachment 292982 View attachment 292981

Now, he is always looking forward to shooting and we get out a couple times a month. We shooters off a table set on two saw horses at 12 yards from the targets.

this is a typical 10+ round target shot by him at 12 yards:

View attachment 292984

I’ve seen the happiness and pride in my friend’s eyes when he shoots one hole groups with his XD’s and .22’s. It’s brought a sport he has loved for 60 years back to him.

They work…
    That’s a really nice .22. I recent got a Ruger sr22 and have been thinking of adding optics and a laser if possible. Also have pretty bad eyes.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    If you'd prefer to stay with iron sights, the Merit Optical Attachment is worth considering.
    Basically it's an adjustable peep sight that attaches to your shooting glasses. A small disc of black electrical tape - at the right location on your glasses - with the right size pinhole (~1/16") will do the same thing.
    Obviously it won't be available to use in a self defense situation, but it does allow you to train.
    A co-worker ended up in a self-defense situation after the attacker knocked his glasses off... he managed to dump the mag into the center of the blur.

dtschirh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2018
    Texas
    As mentioned above, you can get special range glasses with focus points that allow you to see the front iron sights clearly. The down sides to this are twofold, although the front sights are in focus, the target may be a blur. Also if you carry, your likely not going to have you range glasses on when you need it.

The beauty of a red dot is, no matter what prescription lenses you wear everyday, the dot should work for you. Just target focus and the dot superimposes itself.

Hardest part of red dots is getting a consistent presentation from the draw. With iron sights you instinctively correct the sight alignment if your draw is not perfect. With red dot , if presentation is off, people often hunt for the dot. A practiced consistent presentation makes that go away. It also makes shooting with irons better too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    "Ken Hackathorn takes a detailed look in this video at the newest trend - the mounted red dot sight on self-defense handguns. He owns quite a few and has fired thousands of rounds with them. He is ready to give his evaluation with the pros and cons behind the red dot."

He is very candid and informative on this topic. For those considering going to a red dot and/or brand new shooters he has some very worthwhile advice. Either to save you money, time and ammo. Or convince you to switch/start with a red dot.

Top Bottom