Gun Zone Deals

Is flashing the highbeams to warn other driver Illegal in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 98f150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    I would like to know if a driver could be given a ticket for flashing the highbeams to warn other driver of a speedtrap.
    ARJ Defense ad

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Flashing High Beams means you are passing and is perfectly legal.... Just make sure your tail lights and brake lights work :)

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Even if it were illegal to warn of a speedtrap (which it isn't), they can not prove that was your intention.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Flashing High Beams means you are passing and is perfectly legal.... Just make sure your tail lights and brake lights work :)

That, and your license plate lights (at night), and have a front license plate. I once got pulled over 3 times in <1mi for no front plate. It was on the way to Chilifest and DPS was just looking for reasons to pull people over to look for drunk drivers. On the way back, I got pulled over for busted rear license plate lights. Got verbal warnings on all counts.

So, as long as you're not doing anything illegal and thus give the LEO no reason to pull you over, there's nothing to worry about.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    So, as long as you're not doing anything illegal and thus give the LEO no reason to pull you over, there's nothing to worry about.

LOL, every single one of my LEO friends tell me they could follow virtually anyone for less than a mile and find at least two legit reasons to pull somebody over if they wanted to.

OP, I can't find the case, but from what I've heard it's protected free speech as already stated.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Well then your LEO friends would be lying. Or d-bags.

Wasn't looking for an argument but I'll play.

You telling me you follow every single law on the books, as it relates to driving, for every second that you're on the road? Never drift in a lane, speed limit, lights all work, turn signals for every single lane change, never follow the car in front too close, seat belt, and the list goes on?

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Well then your LEO friends would be lying. Or d-bags.

Reread his comment...he said they could, didn't say that they did. As a traffic officer, I can tell you it's easy to find PC(probable cause) for a stop. Doesn't always mean you'll get a ticket though. Look through the traffic code, look at the amount of possible violations.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    LOL, every single one of my LEO friends tell me they could follow virtually anyone for less than a mile and find at least two legit reasons to pull somebody over if they wanted to.

OP, I can't find the case, but from what I've heard it's protected free speech as already stated.

Florida Judge Rules Flashing High Beams a First Amendment Right | AutoGuide.com News

Now, my question is safety of others. A lot of people can be easily affected by others using their high beams at night.....so does TRC 547.333 (c) section (1) and (2) no longer apply? Within specified limits it can be a risk to others...

(c) A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe distance ahead of the vehicle, except that: (1) an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet shall select: (A) the lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading; or (B) a distribution aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator; and (2) an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Wasn't looking for an argument but I'll play.

You telling me you follow every single law on the books, as it relates to driving, for every second that you're on the road? Never drift in a lane, speed limit, lights all work, turn signals for every single lane change, never follow the car in front too close, seat belt, and the list goes on?

When a cop is behind/near me, then no I do not drift in a lane, speed in excess, fail to use turn signals, or tailgate the car in front of me. I always wear my seatbelt and I don't knowingly drive with non-working lights.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    When a cop is behind/near me, then no I do not drift in a lane, speed in excess, fail to use turn signals, or tailgate the car in front of me. I always wear my seatbelt and I don't knowingly drive with non-working lights.

Well, with what you listed, there are a lot more than 6traffic and equipment codes out there, lol

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Reread his comment...he said they could, didn't say that they did. As a traffic officer, I can tell you it's easy to find PC(probable cause) for a stop. Doesn't always mean you'll get a ticket though. Look through the traffic code, look at the amount of possible violations.

I'm familiar with what you can and can not get pulled over for. I once got pulled over for stopping past the white line, not using my turn signal, and speeding 50 in a 45. As the light turned yellow, I got over one lane so as not to block the right lane for people that want to turn. Yes, I did break the law by not using my turn signal and having my bumper past the white line, but that does not make the LEO any less of a d-bag.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

Yet, as you posted in post #5 you knowingly drive without a front plate.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Dangit, ya mean to tell me high beaming somebody is against the law? Well crap.

Btw, thanks for the case.

That's Florida, this is Texas. If there is no law explicitly prohibiting an action, then said action is not illegal.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I'm familiar with what you can and can not get pulled over for. I once got pulled over for stopping past the white line, not using my turn signal, and speeding 50 in a 45. As the light turned yellow, I got over one lane so as not to block the right lane for people that want to turn. Yes, I did break the law by not using my turn signal and having my bumper past the white line, but that does not make the LEO any less of a d-bag.

So at what level of law breaking does an officer not remain a d-bag for stopping you?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Yet, as you posted in post #5 you knowingly drive without a front plate.

DROVE without a front plate. At the time I did not know it was illegal to not have a front plate. Hell, I've bought multiple vehicles that came off the showroom floor without any mechanism to attach a front plate. If anybody should be cited, it should be the dealership/manufacturer for producing/selling a vehicle that does not comply with "equipment laws."

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    So at what level of law breaking does an officer not remain a d-bag for stopping you?

Hmm, that sounds familiar...

Top Bottom