Capitol Armory ad

Is it a faster turn-a-round to apply online before you go to class rather than...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I don't think it is. I think, and may be wrong, but the online app process is really there for convenience with people that take a class only and are on their own for everything else.

In other words, if you're just taking the class from an instructor that only does the class, the online app makes it easier for you to process everything.

But if you take a class that provides everything for you, including having someone there to take the photo's and do fingerprints, it's often cheaper and always a whole lot more convenient and quicker.

You may be in the system ahead of time, but I don't think that expedites anything in processing.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I haven't found that it has any bearing on your overall waiting period. Where I see pre-registering as a problem is many instructors will make you wait on your packet before taking your class. I'll provide you with a packet, but you still have to wait for your state packet to show up before you can submit it to DPS.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    state packet?? i thought you just show up, take the class, do the fingerprints and your done. Do i need to get something from the state before i go to a class>>

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    state packet?? i thought you just show up, take the class, do the fingerprints and your done. Do i need to get something from the state before i go to a class>>

No. The instructors can provide you with a packet that includes all of your paperwork. However, if you pre-register with DPS, the STATE will send you a packet with a preprinted application. You'll need to take this with you to your class. It is the same packet. Pre-registering, however, means you get your packet from the state instead of your instructor.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you apply online you can still go to the class before you get your packet from DPS. You can use everything from the packet the instructor gives you except for the yellow application. You will discard that and use the application you receive in the packet DPS sends you.

You just cannot send off for the actual license until you receive the packet from DPS and get the application that is in there.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    If you apply online you can still go to the class before you get your packet from DPS. You can use everything from the packet the instructor gives you except for the yellow application. You will discard that and use the application you receive in the packet DPS sends you.

You just cannot send off for the actual license until you receive the packet from DPS and get the application that is in there.

Yes, you CAN. But there are instructors who will tell you to wait until you get your packet. We don't.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I haven't found that it has any bearing on your overall waiting period. Where I see pre-registering as a problem is many instructors will make you wait on your packet before taking your class. I'll provide you with a packet, but you still have to wait for your state packet to show up before you can submit it to DPS.

This is what my instructor told us.
    If you went on line, then wait till your packet shows up because a control number was issued to that packet. Or so we were told by a FWPD Sgt. that did our class.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This is what my instructor told us.
    If you went on line, then wait till your packet shows up because a control number was issued to that packet. Or so we were told by a FWPD Sgt. that did our class.

It is your actual CHL number that is issued. But as discussed in this thread, you needn't wait for the packet to take the class.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    2-4 weeks or months? WHAT? I know a LOT of people who applied online, myself included. Every one of us got our packet from the state in under 10 days. I got mine in 5....days. I applied prior to my class, got the packet and zing it was back on the way. The nice thing about the packet from the online reg is that you worry less about the forms being filled out with bad hand writing. LOL

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    2-4 weeks or months? WHAT? I know a LOT of people who applied online, myself included. Every one of us got our packet from the state in under 10 days. I got mine in 5....days. I applied prior to my class, got the packet and zing it was back on the way. The nice thing about the packet from the online reg is that you worry less about the forms being filled out with bad hand writing. LOL

I know a lot of people for whom that is true as well. DPS will tell you 4 to 6 weeks, but it's usually less than 2. I met two young ladies who, after repeated calls to DPS, are still waiting after 3 months.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    That just befuddles the mind. When someone completes their online application, it should be set up to just print off automatically, someone grabs it, sticks it in a prepared envelope and VIOLA, it's gone.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That just befuddles the mind. When someone completes their online application, it should be set up to just print off automatically, someone grabs it, sticks it in a prepared envelope and VIOLA, it's gone.

Come on.....that makes TOO sense....:banghead:

Top Bottom