Is it illegal?

Oct 8, 2008
Houston, TX
If I do not have a CHL and I transport my gun to the shooting range in a Range Bag is it illegal?

Sorry for the dumb question...

DirtyD

Well-Known
Sep 20, 2008
Spring
No, it is perfectley legal, matter of fact as long as it is concealed you may carry it in your car any where you go....

lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
Idaho
I thought if you didn't have a concealed weapons permit, it was illegal to conceal a weapon anywhere. Although I do put mine in a range bag when I'm out cause I don't want it sitting in plain sight if I run into the store for something.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
I thought if you didn't have a concealed weapons permit, it was illegal to conceal a weapon anywhere. Although I do put mine in a range bag when I'm out cause I don't want it sitting in plain sight if I run into the store for something.

Not in Texas. As long as the handgun is not in plain view, he is not committing a crime at the time (traffic violations don't apply), is not prohibited from possessing a firearm and not a member of a street gang, then he can car carry.

Even if he does not qualify there, it is legal to carry while engaged in a lawful sporting event where a handgun is commonly used, and while going to and from.

lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
Idaho
Not in Texas. As long as the handgun is not in plain view, he is not committing a crime at the time (traffic violations don't apply), is not prohibited from possessing a firearm and not a member of a street gang, then he can car carry.

Even if he does not qualify there, it is legal to carry while engaged in a lawful sporting event where a handgun is commonly used, and while going to and from.

Ahh, guess the rules are different in Texas. I know that in Idaho you have to have your guns in plain view, but I however don't agree with that. I don't want my gun sitting on the dash where some criminal can see it while I'm in the store.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Ahh, guess the rules are different in Texas. I know that in Idaho you have to have your guns in plain view, but I however don't agree with that. I don't want my gun sitting on the dash where some criminal can see it while I'm in the store.

Just remember, your talking about THIS state;

texas_sign.jpg

:p

lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
Idaho
I know, I just wish Idaho should come up with the same logic. I think that people should be able to carry their guns how they choose. Whether it be in plain sight or concealed in a range bag, holster, etc.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
If I do not have a CHL and I transport my gun to the shooting range in a Range Bag is it illegal?

Sorry for the dumb question...

It's not a dumb question at all.....

But it is really scary knowing you own a gun and don't know he laws pertaining to owning a gun.

There's a thread that's stuck at the top of a forum that has the link to related gun laws. It would be a good idea to take a gander.

Paulie Boy

Sep 1, 2008
Near Victoria
so what about the castle law? I though Texans are allowed to carry in thier cars for protection. Does the weapon have to be concealed or can it be sitting in your lap or next to the seat?

Top Bottom