Is it illegal?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by TXTacticalSource, Oct 10, 2008.

1. TXTacticalSource

TXTacticalSource Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    If I do not have a CHL and I transport my gun to the shooting range in a Range Bag is it illegal?

Sorry for the dumb question...

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    No, it is perfectley legal, matter of fact as long as it is concealed you may carry it in your car any where you go....

3. TXTacticalSource

TXTacticalSource Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    WoW I feel a grate relief...
    Well hopefully I get my CHL soon.

Thank You!

4. lonewolf23c

lonewolf23c Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I thought if you didn't have a concealed weapons permit, it was illegal to conceal a weapon anywhere. Although I do put mine in a range bag when I'm out cause I don't want it sitting in plain sight if I run into the store for something.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not in Texas. As long as the handgun is not in plain view, he is not committing a crime at the time (traffic violations don't apply), is not prohibited from possessing a firearm and not a member of a street gang, then he can car carry.

Even if he does not qualify there, it is legal to carry while engaged in a lawful sporting event where a handgun is commonly used, and while going to and from.

6. lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Ahh, guess the rules are different in Texas. I know that in Idaho you have to have your guns in plain view, but I however don't agree with that. I don't want my gun sitting on the dash where some criminal can see it while I'm in the store.

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Just remember, your talking about THIS state;

texas_sign.jpg

:p

8. lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I know, I just wish Idaho should come up with the same logic. I think that people should be able to carry their guns how they choose. Whether it be in plain sight or concealed in a range bag, holster, etc.

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It's not a dumb question at all.....

:2cents: But it is really scary knowing you own a gun and don't know he laws pertaining to owning a gun.

There's a thread that's stuck at the top of a forum that has the link to related gun laws. It would be a good idea to take a gander. :texas:

10. Paulie Boy

Paulie Boy New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Near Victoria
    so what about the castle law? I though Texans are allowed to carry in thier cars for protection. Does the weapon have to be concealed or can it be sitting in your lap or next to the seat?