APOD Firearms

Is it legal to carry in a boat WITHOUT being a CHL holder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I know that as of September 1, 2007 it is legal to carry concealed inside your car without having a CHL.

I have a student that asked me, "Well what about a boat?"

Interesting question. Please site penal codes/laws.
    Guns International

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Lots of misinformation and distraction in that thread. Most of the misinformation was corrected, but hard to wade through.

To answer the question, generally no, you cannot lawfully carry a handgun on or about your person in a boat. That means ON you or within your immediate reach.

If you are traveling (and that is not defined) you would be lawful. I don't think playing around on a fixed body of water like a lake would qualify as traveling. Also possession is unlawful on Corps Of Engineer Waterways.

See Penal Code 46.02, Unlawful Carrying Weapon. A Boat does not meet the definition of a motor vehicle. See the Texas Transportation Code 541.201 (23) and (11).

Traveling is in Penal Code 46.15(b)

Hope this helps

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    You da man, sir.

Is that true even with a CHL?

Lots of misinformation and distraction in that thread. Most of the misinformation was corrected, but hard to wade through.

To answer the question, generally no, you cannot lawfully carry a handgun on or about your person in a boat. That means ON you or within your immediate reach.

If you are traveling (and that is not defined) you would be lawful. I don't think playing around on a fixed body of water like a lake would qualify as traveling. Also possession is unlawful on Corps Of Engineer Waterways.

See Penal Code 46.02, Unlawful Carrying Weapon. A Boat does not meet the definition of a motor vehicle. See the Texas Transportation Code 541.201 (23) and (11).

Traveling is in Penal Code 46.15(b)

Hope this helps

Top Bottom