• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maddogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    As a civilian without any criminal history/records/convictions is it legal for me to purchase and own body armor? I search but could not find any law/ruling on this. Only one where it said that it was illegal for a felon to own one. Just want to make sure.
    Thanks

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    As a civilian without any criminal history/records/convictions is it legal for me to purchase and own body armor? I search but could not find any law/ruling on this. Only one where it said that it was illegal for a felon to own one. Just want to make sure.
    Thanks

Legal, except for felons

maddogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Thank you for all the replies. I thought it was legal except for felons but the guys at the gun store kept on telling me it wasn't.
    I don't want to break any laws.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    There are a few places that sell it.
    I believe pro defense in Clear lake does
    The cop shop down town does (don't know if they let public in anymore)

ctyshtr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Houston
    Does anyone know the laws when it comes to an individual selling their own body armor? I assume the same rules apply...no felons and so on? Here is the real question. what about when it involves Rifle plate or SAPI plate? from what i can tell they are legal but must be sold as separate items? so you buy the vest with the soft armor and the SAPI plates are sold separately?

Any real legal knowledge would be very appreciated?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Does anyone know the laws when it comes to an individual selling their own body armor? I assume the same rules apply...no felons and so on? Here is the real question. what about when it involves Rifle plate or SAPI plate? from what i can tell they are legal but must be sold as separate items? so you buy the vest with the soft armor and the SAPI plates are sold separately?

Texas law only covers possession of body armor by felons. There is nothing regarding the sale of body armor.

Texas Penal Code 46.041

neverenough

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Austin

Being the owner of many sets of body armor and varying levels of rifle plates (3 and 4)....Selling body armor is legal. It is your responsibility to get a signed waiver from your purchaser though that he is allowed to own it to cover your butt should he go out and rob a bank later. So if he's a felon, you cannot sell to him. Burden of responsibility will fall upon you as the seller to make sure you tried to follow the rule.

Rifle plates and Sapi plates are legal to buy and sell, however, be aware that any level 3 or level 4 armor cannot be sold overseas. You must first get written approval from the Dept of State (yeah right) and make sure all ITAR (international traffic in arms regulation) is met.

I find that guns/offense is but 50% of the equation for protection and that no one covers their rear on the 50% necessary for defense/body armor. Humans are basically big water balloons waiting to get poked by fast moving sharp objects :-).

Top Bottom