• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qualityqc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2014
    I recieved my CHL in the mail and while reviewing notes from my CHL class, I observed a notation that I had jotted down about my CHL becoming my Driver License and that I must surrender my DL back to Austin. However, in reviewing the online TEXAS CHL Handbook I came across the following on page 30 paragraph 2 (GC 411.206 REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE) that states: If a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display BOTH the license holders driver's license or state ID AND the license holders hand gun license.

How do I comply with this section of the law if I surrender my DL back to Austin. Am I to send my DL back to the address that my CHL arrived in, or not?
    Military Camp

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Do not send back your DL....

You are mistaken.....or your instructor was lame....

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Paraq.jpg

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I never heard anything about mailing mine back in. I don't think most other people have either with all the stories I hear about guys giving their drivers license on a traffic stop but not their CHL just to see what would happen. I DO think it's odd that my DL number is on my CHL. That's had me curious if I could get away with just giving the CHL and insurance papers during a traffic stop.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I use my CHL as much as possible just to see how often I can use it. So far, it's only been turned down once and that was by a girl who was new working at the place and didn't know better.

qualityqc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2014
    Well, I haven't been pulled over by the police since 1984 while peeling rubber in front of my high school. I just do not understand why I would be told such a thing to the point where I would make a notation and underline words like "must" and "surrender DL' Very odd.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Please report your instructor to DPS.

As an aside, the traffic laws require that you posses a driver license when operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway.

qualityqc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2014
    Thanks For The Info

Please report your instructor to DPS.

As an aside, the traffic laws require that you posses a driver license when operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway.

I have not been able to get in contact with my instructor, but I am satisfied with the advice of TexasGunTalk members not to return my DL back to Austin. I'm glad I sought clarification first before I went driving all over San Antonio without a driver's license, but with a loaded firearm in my waistband. I can just imagine how well that would have worked out...

"Driver's license? - I don't need no stinkin' driver's license! - I got a CHL, flat foot!"

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I have not been able to get in contact with my instructor, but I am satisfied with the advice of TexasGunTalk members not to return my DL back to Austin. I'm glad I sought clarification first before I went driving all over San Antonio without a driver's license, but with a loaded firearm in my waistband. I can just imagine how well that would have worked out...

"Driver's license? - I don't need no stinkin' driver's license! - I got a CHL, flat foot!"
    hey avy body's t know à good bail bonds man

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Seems like there are a lot of "instructors" out there that need some "re-education"!

Yep.

On the other hand, ther are plenty of students who just misheard or get the info wrong. While we are not allowed to review the test now, in the 10 hour class over the course of the day I gave each question verbatim. Some folks still missed questions.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I've handed a TSA agent my CHL a few times and they refuse to accept it. I've told them it's a state issued photo ID but they still want to see a DL.

Top Bottom