• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluesboyk3

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    houston
    Quick question. I read in the rule book that compensator or compensated barrel is illegal. Now does this apply if the gun came from factory already compensated (like glock 17 C) without extrenal compensating device? I have the tisas zigana sport on the way to local ffl. To be fair, I bought the gun to be a fun range toy. I have a defensive pistol that i have on my bedside. I don't want to put a lot of wear and tear on that pistol (PT92).
    Capitol Armory ad

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Comps are not allowed iirc.you should train with what you intend to use. I do idpa with my carry gun. Over 40k down the pipe.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Quick question. I read in the rule book that compensator or compensated barrel is illegal. Now does this apply if the gun came from factory already compensated (like glock 17 C) without extrenal compensating device? I have the tisas zigana sport on the way to local ffl. To be fair, I bought the gun to be a fun range toy. I have a defensive pistol that i have on my bedside. I don't want to put a lot of wear and tear on that pistol (PT92).

Wear and tear that bad boy. If its not a collectible then there is no reason not to shoot it. Most guns will last more than the majority of people will shoot in their life. If it wears out, replace it...

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Compensated barrels are a no go, whether externally compensated or not. Depending on your local club, sometimes it's not a big deal and they'll let it slide, though they will probably put you in an "unclassified" class so you are not getting credit for match scores basically. Unfortunately, the downside with relatively uncommon guns is it's not so easy to find a factory non-compensated barrel, or aftermarket one. If it was something like a Glock, you could simply swap out the barrel for a non-compensated one and be good to go. I would check with your local club and see if they'll still allow it at the match. Lots of them will, as I've seen clubs allow people to bring their young kids with .22lr handguns and shoot in the "unclassified" class.

As far as the PT92, honestly I wouldn't worry about wear and tear. Replace your recoil spring every 3k rounds and you'll be just fine. The PT92 would also be IDPA legal for SSP (stock) class, or ESP (enhanced) if you did certain mods to it. The best thing with being IDPA legal is you can shoot classifier matches and begin acquiring rankings, as well as competing in rankings with everyone else, which is a great way to push yourself and improve those skills. :)

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    If you are worried about wear on your defense gun then why not get into reloading so you can do lead loads. They put no wear on your barrel whatsoever. You will put more wear on your barrel scrubbing lead out with a choreboy but given that its just copper strands I'm sure everytime you de-lead your barrel (which shouldn't be very often at all if loaded right) is equivalent to maybe a handful of FMJs going down the pipe if not less. If you are going to get into IDPA on a regular basis you will makeup your startup cost for reloading pretty quick (as long as you don't start with a Dillon at least) and you will about double, triple or more the brass you fire in what you take home (at least if you are shooting 9 or 45). If you are worried about lead problems you can try out coated lead bullets like Bayou Bullets that use a powder coating that eliminates the need for lube, leaves basically nothing in your barrel if they are loaded right and have no lead smoke at all.

If you decide to try reloading to complement competition shooting I do recommend starting out with at least 250-500 FMJ or plated bullets though so you can get the hang of the basics before you have to pay close attention to how much you flare the cases so that you don't swag lead bullets which will lead to leading even with the coated (ask me how I know on the latter : P).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Most good quality production guns from reputable manufacturers (the Taurus PT92 is the exception and generally good to go, even though Taurus usually isn't) are durable enough that they will last most people the rest of their lives. With proper preventative maintenance (recoil springs and other wear items), plenty of good quality guns will last longer than most people will ever shoot a handgun in their lives. A number of popular manufacturers' guns have been tested to well beyond 50-100k+ rounds, and people often find that the most they have to do is replace a few springs, and maybe one or two other small components. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about durability and "wearing your gun out". Just replace the recoil spring every 3k rounds and you'll be fine.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Your gun isn't legal in IDPA. It's another of the IDPA rulls that makes no sense what so ever kind of like the reload with retention of a magazine. But IDPA is a game so there are rules. We have to abide by them if we want to play. Most people do not shoot with their CCW. It's a game so you want to win, not much realistic about it. On the plus side you can't use a full blast race gun, it has to at least look like a normal service pistol or revolver. There is no place in a normal match for a 642 revolver or an LCP like you'd actually carry concealed. Lots of full size pistols and a few full size revolvers. It's a fun game and you can compete with a stock pistol or revolver without the outlay of thousands of dollars for a race gun. Plain old Glock or 1911 or 686 revolver will work. A whole lot will do an action job, sights, grips, magazine wells etc. just to gain a little edge to win.

Top Bottom