• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTM07

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2019
    San Antonio
    See title. I've been researching and shopping for my first AR-15, leaning toward Ruger AR-556 or S&W M&P Sport II. Was just about to pounce when the world blew up and panic buyers bought out the existing stock. I still see inventory but not the kind of deals pre-Covid 19. With the elections coming up I have a feeling demand will remain steady. Honestly not in a big hurry just kinda bummed about it. What do y'all think?
    Texas SOT

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    See title. I've been researching and shopping for my first AR-15, leaning toward Ruger AR-556 or S&W M&P Sport II. Was just about to pounce when the world blew up and panic buyers bought out the existing stock. I still see inventory but not the kind of deals pre-Covid 19. With the elections coming up I have a feeling demand will remain steady. Honestly not in a big hurry just kinda bummed about it. What do y'all think?

Is it a bad time? Yes. Is it impossible to get one for a fair price? Not if you have patience and keep your eyes open. I'm currently in the process of building one. It's mostly done and just likes a few more pieces. I'm using a bunch of weird oddball stuff and know where to look for hard to find parts, so I'm not having that much of an issue.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Welcome to the Forum!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    If your not in a hurry... and like used... your gonna find some screaming deals after everything smooths out

Not sure what evidence you are basing that on.

The "deals" I've seen are from panic induced, impulse purchases just after sandy Hook and term 2 of Obama world. The poor schmucks who paid $2500 for an entry level AR were hell-bent on getting their money back.

I saw a vendor at a gun show asking $75 each for 30 round P-MAGs and lemmings were buying them.

TTM07

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2019
    San Antonio
    Do you need an AR?
    Do you actually want an AR?
    Are you now just wanting one because of the buying frenzy on AR's?
    What would be the primary intended purpose of the AR if you bought one?

No, I had been researching for at least a year or two prior to March 2020. I like to research and do my best to avoid impulse buys. Not a first time gun owner by any means, just a first AR.

Thanks for the welcome! It's how I know I'm home in Texas.

Yeah, I don't think we will see the buyer's market of post November 2016 election again anytime soon but also don't want to get shafted. In hindsight I know I missed the boat and now just wondering when things might settle down. I realize I'm venting a bit but I really do appreciate learning from others with more experience.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Palmetto State Armory still has their basic 16” carbine for $500. More than it was a few months ago, but still cheaper than the $700+ I’ve seen the S&W’s and Rugers going for. The same models that were $500 in January. I bought my Ruger 556 last Memorial Day for just over $500. That was my first gun!

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    No, I had been researching for at least a year or two prior to March 2020. I like to research and do my best to avoid impulse buys. Not a first time gun owner by any means, just a first AR.

Thanks for the welcome! It's how I know I'm home in Texas.

Yeah, I don't think we will see the buyer's market of post November 2016 election again anytime soon but also don't want to get shafted. In hindsight I know I missed the boat and now just wondering when things might settle down. I realize I'm venting a bit but I really do appreciate learning from others with more experience.
    You still didn’t answer the question of intended purpose of the rifle? Varmint, punching holes in paper, just want one, etc.

The parts are still out there, albeit at a slightly increased price, but not too bad. There should be a couple of sales this weekend for Memorial Day.

Pick whatever lower roll mark makes you happy. Then buy a GOOD LPK, BCG and trigger. Figure out whether to buy or build upper (building is not difficult at all) then the stock and some glass.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not sure what evidence you are basing that on.

The "deals" I've seen are from panic induced, impulse purchases just after sandy Hook and term 2 of Obama world. The poor schmucks who paid $2500 for an entry level AR were hell-bent on getting their money back.

I saw a vendor at a gun show asking $75 each for 30 round P-MAGs and lemmings were buying them.

He's basing that on history. Every time the panic smooths out, prices plummet. Often below pre-panic prices. The AR market is saturated and will become even more saturated just as soon as people get a hold of themselves and quit panic buying. Demand will drop, and the prices will drop too because there will be such a huge supply of parts and guns that shops can't sell. The $1100 rifle you could buy before Sandy Hook is now a $700-$800 rifle.

To give you an idea of how saturated the market is, I can as of right now buy 30rd Pmags from Primary Arms for $12.50 because they are still in stock. PSA and DSG both have them in stock too for a similar price. Optics Planet has Hexmags in stock. We are 2-3 months into a panic, and I can still get them very easily and cheaply.

Last edited:

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    Palmetto State Armory still has their basic 16” carbine for $500. More than it was a few months ago, but still cheaper than the $700+ I’ve seen the S&W’s and Rugers going for. The same models that were $500 in January. I bought my Ruger 556 last Memorial Day for just over $500. That was my first gun!
    I will 2nd PSA. Good make at a reasonable price.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    For some reason Ruger and S&W are some of the last AR's I'd look at!

I love my Ruger. It’s no Daniel Defense or other higher end rifle, but it’s dependable and accurate. Haven’t had a single issue in the first 1500 rounds or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Grab one of PSAs CHF uppers and premium BCGs. Then build out any lower you wish.

Unless you are a brand snob you have the equivalent of any colt or FN military quality rifle you can find at half the price.

I'm sure someone will try to howel me down with a specific brand name but let's face it. PSAs CHF barrels are made by FN from their machine gun blend of steel and manufactured the same way and you cant beat that. The bolts and carriers are Toolcraft and you cant beat that for material and assembly, you can even get a coated one if you wish.

The rest of an AR is just parts you will customize anyways and as long as in spec dimensionally will not be an issue. Even Anderson will be just fine for a lower. They are still cheap so get a couple.

Lowers are what you need to buy if you worry about the future. If you watch the behind the scenes a couple upper receivers may be nice to have too. And mags.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes, it's always a bad time to buy an AR!

Man up and get yourself a real rifle instead!
    Russia-Obit-Kalashnik_Scha.jpg

Attachments

• Russia-Obit-Kalashnik_Scha.jpg
      Russia-Obit-Kalashnik_Scha.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 615

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    He's basing that on history. Every time the panic smooths out, prices plummet. Often below pre-panic prices. The AR market is saturated and will become even more saturated just as soon as people get a hold of themselves and quit panic buying. Demand will drop, and the prices will drop too because there will be such a huge supply of parts and guns that shops can't sell. The $1100 rifle you could buy before Sandy Hook is now a $700-$800 rifle.

To give you an idea of how saturated the market is, I can as of right now buy 30rd Pmags from Primary Arms for $12.50 because they are still in stock. PSA and DSG both have them in stock too for a similar price. Optics Planet has Hexmags in stock. We are 2-3 months into a panic, and I can still get them very easily and cheaply.

Two different retail markets.

I agree, new, retail is as you describe.

My response was targeting the used, retail market as I referenced.

If your not in a hurry... and like used... your gonna find some screaming deals after everything smooths out

Top Bottom