Capitol Armory ad

Is Suicide Always the Result of Mental Illness?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    OP, the answer is no.

1 - friend hung himself due to loneliness. His only serious love interest broke it off. In spite of having serious coin, no diagnosed mental illness, he offed himself over a year later. He was pretty normal, but he couldn't face the thought of being alone. Very shy.

2 - a friend's daughter ate a shotgun. She was manic depressive, but was happier than she had been in a long time. Life was going her way. Then out of the blue.....

3 - my son's friend accidentally killed himself performing an asphyxiation masturbation. No mental illness. Just a horny 14 year old. Total accident.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Yes, but what is it that triggers anger? Rarely do people get angry when they gain something. Anger is a defense mechanism for loss. loss of dignity, loss of respect, loss of trust and so on.
    Oh, I see what you are saying.

I see anger as an expression of injustice, something is not fair, not right, not supposed to be this way, sound the alarm, something needs to change.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

I see anger as an expression of injustice, something is not fair, not right, not supposed to be this way, sound the alarm, something needs to change.
    Yes, and each of those is a loss of something, loss of justice, loss of fairness, loss of rightness and loss of the way things should be, or at least a perception of it.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Yes, that’s fair enough. There is a discrepancy between what is and what oughta be. That can be called a loss, sure, I’ll say yes to that.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE

Then there's the "I'll show them . . ." aspect of anger. Like acting out to punish (or spite) the person who they perceive to have crossed them. Petty--yes. But no one ever said that humans can't be petty to their own detriment, or destruction.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Anger isn't always a bad thing, it can inspire a person to do what they believe is right. The problem usually comes in the heat of the moment when action happens without the thought of consequence.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Well the person who commits suicide because they committed a crime and know they are going to jail are not mentally ill they think they are taking the easy way out.
    The person who thinks things are so bad and hopeless that it can never get any better is not mentally Ill either.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Per the 'government', >50% of the homeless are mentally ill yet they stay on the streets without committing suicide. Abbott has declared a battle on 'ill' persons who might want additional 'victims', we can see how well that has worked, about the same as gunfree zones. I guess the millennials haven't made the $1M yet so want to off themselves? It's all about more gov. spending. IMHO, the Brothers Karamazov covered it pretty well.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Unless you are the business owner.....
    Gotta be a nightmare for the range - owner, staff, and witnesses, all for multiple reasons that can last a long time.

I wonder how big a hit such a thing can be to the range as a business?

Top Bottom