• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Nothing like the racking sound of a pump shotgun to slow a night visitor down.

That is pure movie and TV nonsense, and foolishness. What if the intruder or attacker is hard of hearing? Or hopped up on drugs? Do you really believe that the sound of racking shotgun is going to deter such a person?

You are making an assumption that someone breaking into your home is reasonable, and that such a sound is going to stop them in their tracks and become compliant with your requests?

I'm sorry, but making such assumptions could prove deadly for you, or your loved ones with this sort of thinking. I'd suggest highly thinking this over very carefully. Are you really wanting to trust your life, or your loved ones to some mythical movie or TV nonsense?

Personally, mine are loaded, but unchambered. Yes, I would have to rack the slide to chamber a round, but IF I resort to racking a round into the chamber, the next sound that intruder will hear, will be the firing pin being dropped.

I wish people would stop perpetrating this myth as if it were fact, when in fact it's utter BS, and quite dangerous.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    That is pure movie and TV nonsense, and foolishness. What if the intruder or attacker is hard of hearing? Or hopped up on drugs? Do you really believe that the sound of racking shotgun is going to deter such a person?

You are making an assumption that someone breaking into your home is reasonable, and that such a sound is going to stop them in their tracks and become compliant with your requests?

I'm sorry, but making such assumptions could prove deadly for you, or your loved ones with this sort of thinking. I'd suggest highly thinking this over very carefully. Are you really wanting to trust your life, or your loved ones to some mythical movie or TV nonsense?

Personally, mine are loaded, but unchambered. Yes, I would have to rack the slide to chamber a round, but IF I resort to racking a round into the chamber, the next sound that intruder will hear, will be the firing pin being dropped.

I wish people would stop perpetrating this myth as if it were fact, when in fact it's utter BS, and quite dangerous.
    Must be a little sleepy this morning. What did you think I was going to do with mine, offer it to the intruder as a gift

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Then do whatever makes you feel good. I just hope you never get to find out how wrong or deadly your assumptions are. Just don't suggest others do the same.
    1618496470638.gif

Reactions: gll

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Pulling the trigger has much more impact on an intruder than "cocking", "racking", etc. :rolleyes:
    Not you too, I said I was going to shoot same as Axxe was. " What did you think I was going to do with mine, offer it to the intruder as a gift?" Of course I am going to shoot.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I had a similar experience. I walked through an older abandoned house trailer on a friends ranch ( older and well built. ) Dove loads really did the damage. I kept a loaded 12 ga with birdshot in my bedroom in order to blow a hole in the outside wall of the trailer I lived in just in case of a fire I needed to escape.

You must be pretty skinny, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    You must be pretty skinny, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, I have quite wide shoulders. However, I have personally seen what a 12 ga with 7 1/2 dove loads can do to the outside wall of a Mobil home with paneling and alum. siding.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hard to miss with a shotgun inside a house.
    Indeed, the house is likely to get hit.

In the event that any gun is used inside a house, there is very high probability the inside of the house is going to suffer some hits.

I remember some years ago on another gun forum, in a galaxy, far and far away! A guy chastised me for my choice of using a shotgun for home defense. Hmm.... He said that a shotgun was a very poor choice given the amount of damage it could do to interior wall, furniture and such, and would leave way too much blood all over things inside the house to have to clean up. Hmm...Well, if the price I have to pay, is fixing some drywall, or replacing some furniture, or cleaning up blood and brain matter from my home, and myself and loved ones are safe, it's a price I'll gladly pay anytime.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

Not purely BS. My young BIL vintured into our trailer one Sat. afternoon ( came to do Landry) while my wife ( his sister) and I were in an amorous state. I heard the screen door shut ( we lived in the Country in CS) and he heard the shotgun rack. He could not shout who he was quickly enough.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Not purely BS. My young BIL vintured into our trailer one Sat. afternoon ( came to do Landry) while my wife ( his sister) and I were in an amorous state. I heard the screen door shut ( we lived in the Country in CS) and he heard the shotgun rack. He could not shout who he was quickly enough.

IMO, it is pure BS. You were dealing with I assume a rational person. Dealing with a real intruder or attacker in your home, are you going to bet your life, or your loved ones on a sound like racking a round into the chamber?

If other choose such a course of action for self defense, that is entirely up to any of you to do so, but I won't.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    And, if it wasn't your BIL and the perp was intent on armed robbery or your demise, he would now know where you are and ready himself to his advantage.
    IMO, it is pure BS. You were dealing with I assume a rational person. Dealing with a real intruder or attacker in your home, are you going to bet your life, or your loved ones on a sound like racking a round into the chamber?

If other choose such a course of action for self defense, that is entirely up to any of you to do so, but I won't.
    How are you in any better position, since your round is unchambered? "Yes, I (you) would have to rack the slide to chamber a round, but IF I (you) resort to racking a round into the chamber, the next sound that intruder will hear, will be the firing pin being dropped", but you'll actually have to wait to see the perp to accomplish that scenario... unless, you rack it very, very quietly ahead of that!

Once again, empty chamber gives up a round and racking the slide takes an extra second to no gain and only loss of advantage. Why would people who ostensibly carry concealed or open chamber loaded, and often with no more than a trigger dongle and a holster for safety, be afraid to keep a shotgun chambered and on safe? I just don't get it... please, kindly explain...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    And, if it wasn't your BIL and the perp was intent on armed robbery or your demise, he would now know where you are and ready himself to his advantage.

How are you in any better position, since your round is unchambered? "Yes, I (you) would have to rack the slide to chamber a round, but IF I (you) resort to racking a round into the chamber, the next sound that intruder will hear, will be the firing pin being dropped", but you'll actually have to wait to see the perp to accomplish that scenario... unless, you rack it very, very quietly ahead of that!

Once again, empty chamber gives up a round and racking the slide takes an extra second to no gain and only loss of advantage. Why would people who ostensibly carry concealed or open chamber loaded, and often with no more than a trigger dongle and a holster for safety, be afraid to keep a shotgun chambered and on safe? I just don't get it... please, kindly explain...

You do your's any way that suits you. I'll do mine my way. I merely have explained how I do it that suits our needs. I wasn't asking for your approval or anyone else's for that matter.

This isn't something I have only given a casual thought about, but have thought about and even re-thought over the years. It suits our needs and what we think is best.

Top Bottom