Is the defense shortgun still relevant?

Analog Kid

Jan 26, 2021
Rockwall, Texas
In defense mode, shotguns are for close encounters.. I would never fire one in my house.. that's what my pistol(s) are for. I agree with Axxe55 that one should choose the tool that is best for the job and best for the individual. After shooting no less than 10,000 handgun rounds at the range, I am most comfortable with a pistol for all my defensive needs. I shoot shotguns just to blow the shit out of stuff for fun. too long, too heavy, and too cumbersome to carry around for EDC. ymmv.

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
In defense mode, shotguns are for close encounters.. I would never fire one in my house.. that's what my pistol(s) are for. I agree with Axxe55 that one should choose the tool that is best for the job and best for the individual. After shooting no less than 10,000 handgun rounds at the range, I am most comfortable with a pistol for all my defensive needs. I shoot shotguns just to blow the shit out of stuff for fun. too long, too heavy, and too cumbersome to carry around for EDC. ymmv.
Analog Kid,

Personally, I think of my EDC as a "means to get to a longarm" & little more than that.

just my OPINION, satx

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
In the Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Exactly. I chose a shotgun based on my or our, specific needs and circumstances, not someone else's. And I also know that my choices and options may not be the best for others, or that others have the same options as I do.

I usually suggest the shotgun for most as an option they should explore for themselves to see if that is the best choice for their home defensive weapons choice. In the end, only that person can make the final decision if it's the best option for them.

The decisions I made for our options are based not on just myself, but for my wife as well. She knows how to shoot a pump shotgun, so in the time of a break-in, I don't have to wonder if she knows how to operate that shotgun. It's loaded with #4 birdshot. That's a matter of dealing with recoil for her. Not that she couldn't or wouldn't in a time of stress be able to handle it, but my thinking is hits on target. More recoil of buckshot could lessen hits on target. I'd rather she had all hits with birdshot, than misses with buckshot. I have more than a few question that decision in the past, but this home isn't their concern to worry about defending. So I don't and won't base my decisions on what other people think I should, or shouldn't do.

My wife can and does shoot and carry a pistol. But I trust her for being able to defend the home if needed more so with a shotgun than a pistol.

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
Jan 21, 2012
Texas
... US military forces DOES NOT have (and NEVER has had) a "qualification test" of ANY sort for SHOTGUNS but DO have such "graded tests" for ever other individual/crew-served weapon ...
Not sure I agree with this statement.

In 2003 I participated in a shotgun qualification course jointly with the USAF. They definitely had a qualification standard based on scoring hits on targets at various ranges and those unable to meet the standard were not qualified/allowed to carry the shotgun for SP duty.

Now I only ever did it the one time with the Air Force and my Army duties never put a shotgun in my hands, so I can't claim anything beyond my experience.

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
Not sure I agree with this statement.

In 2003 I participated in a shotgun qualification course jointly with the USAF. They definitely had a qualification standard based on scoring hits on targets at various ranges and those unable to meet the standard were not qualified/allowed to carry the shotgun for SP duty.

Now I only ever did it the one time with the Air Force and my Army duties never put a shotgun in my hands, so I can't claim anything beyond my experience.
MrOrangeVest,

UNLESS the USAF has changed their procedures since I retired the USAF also only "familiarizes" their SP personnel with the shotgun. = Scored only as PASS or FAIL.

FYI, since the USAF became their own service, USAMPS has always trained the Air Police (now called the AF Security Police), just as we also train the Marine & Navy security/LE personnel.
(NCIS, as they are a CIVILIANIZED group, are NOT trained by USAMPS. - NCIS is trained at FLETC.)

yours, satx

leVieux

Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"
Mar 28, 2013
Saint Martinville, LA
MeOrangeVest,

Given that:

1. I was "once upon a time, long ago" generally "considered to be" a good shot with pistol, rifles, riot-gun, smg & machine gun (before my eyes started going bad)
2. That over 75% of "home invasion intrusions" occur "in periods of darkness"
AND
3. Pistols & long arms (other than shotguns, firing shot) require "precision sighting",

HOW exactly do you believe that you or anyone else can defend home & hearth in the dark W/O the ability to see the SIGHTS??

SORRY, but I'm NOT buying any.

yours, satx
AMEN !

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
Jan 21, 2012
Texas
MrOrangeVest,

UNLESS the USAF has changed their procedures since I retired the USAF also only "familiarizes" their SP personnel with the shotgun. = Scored only as PASS or FAIL.

In my limited experience with that group, the pass/ fail was based on how many holes there were in the target over the varying distance. 00 buck was used and so many holes (a specific number at each distance) were needed to be allowed to carry the shotgun and be assigned the duties that came with toting said shotgun.

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
In the Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
In my limited experience with that group, the pass/ fail was based on how many holes there were in the target over the varying distance. 00 buck was used and so many holes (a specific number at each distance) were needed to be allowed to carry the shotgun and be assigned the duties that came with toting said shotgun.
You should never argue with an expert with his years of training. 20 lashes to your backside for such insubordination!

:spank:

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014

MrOrangeVest,

At least when I retired from AD in November 2006, "familiarization" was ONLY PASS/FAIL & consisted ONLY in IF the student could SAFELY LOAD the shotgun with 5 shotgun shells, FIRE 3 ROUNDS (while keeping the muzzle up/down range) & SAFELY UNLOAD the riot-shotgun.
IF the student did those operations, WITHOUT doing an UNSAFE ACT, they got a PASS for the 12 gauge riot-gun..

yours, satx

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics