• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ethanjordan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2020
    denver
    I happened upon this article and found it mirroring my own shotgun usage as of late. I haven't gotten rid of my shotguns but I found I just don't use them for home defense since I finally accepted the fact that loads like the 55 grain M193 FMJ or soft point 223/5.56 in an AR won't
    Target Sports

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shortgun? What's a Shortgun?

Fishkiller,

In my grandfather's time, a "shortgun" was what many people called a handgun.
    (My grandfather was born in Franklin County, TX on 18JAN1874.)

IF one looks, they will see that term in a lot of old newspaper articles.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm not for sure where the OP is getting his information from, or the validity of that information.

IMO, the shotgun is still the best home defensive weapon for most people. The distances they would used at within the home, ammo selections that are available, and that they don't require the same precision in aiming that rifles or pistols require.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'm not for sure where the OP is getting his information from, or the validity of that information.

IMO, the shotgun is still the best home defensive weapon for most people. The distances they would used at within the home, ammo selections that are available, and that they don't require the same precision in aiming that rifles or pistols require.
    In my experience scatter guns don't really scatter much in the typical home defense ranges. My 18.5" mossberg with any type of buckshot will hold a 3" pattern to about 20 feet. Still have to aim it. It's not really point and shoot.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I've thought about this for awhile. Unless you expect engagements past 50 yards or precision shots are needed, a shotgun is hard to beat. I'm thinking of getting a 20ga Shockwave as truck gun (well secured, of course).

I believe that, if the Kenosha Kid had run a shotgun as well as he did his AR, there would likely be three fatalities.....one of which would be completely missing an arm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    In my experience scatter guns don't really scatter much in the typical home defense ranges. My 18.5" mossberg with any type of buckshot will hold a 3" pattern to about 20 feet. Still have to aim it. It's not really point and shoot.

Most all of mine will have about a 4" to 6" pattern at 20 feet. Yes, they do need to be aimed, just that they don't need the same precision in aiming that rifles or pistols require.

If I aim center mass on a bad guy, and I am off center and hit him in the shoulder or arm with a round of buckshot, it's still going to do massive amounts of damage.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I happened upon this article and found it mirroring my own shotgun usage as of late. I haven't gotten rid of my shotguns but I found I just don't use them for home defense since I finally accepted the fact that loads like the 55 grain M193 FMJ or soft point 223/5.56 in an AR won't

Wow I am glad I do not live in your area if you have used shotguns and ar's to defend it enough times to decide which is best for you :)

Depending on where you live. I would much rather use a shotgun just in case it goes outside I don't have to worry as much about whats down the road a mile when I shoot at the dude.

Inside the house I think an AR might be a bit better as cleaning up the mess from a shotgun blast Hit or Miss is going to be a lot worse than with an ar

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Most all of mine will have about a 4" to 6" pattern at 20 feet. Yes, they do need to be aimed, just that they don't need the same precision in aiming that rifles or pistols require.

If I aim center mass on a bad guy, and I am off center and hit him in the shoulder or arm with a round of buckshot, it's still going to do massive amounts of damage.

To be fair, it would be the same with a rifle, no?
    Think of Kyles only surviving threat.

ETA: Can't compare pistol damage to shotgun damage.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    To be fair, it would be the same with a rifle, no?
    Think of Kyles only surviving threat.

ETA: Can't compare pistol damage to shotgun damage.

As long as you get a hit. That's a good example. But if you are awakened by an intruder in the middle of the night, still groggy from sleep, adrenaline pumping and your fine motor skills are not functioning yet, this is why I would prefer the shotgun.

The 223 is less than a 1/4" in diameter, vs. the shotgun with a pattern of 3" to 6" at 20 feet. IMO, much less precision aiming needed.

Top Bottom