• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Just curious why not use the Mossberg even outside? If you're on your property investigating those bumps in the night, doesn't matter to hide your weapon. Or am I missing something?

Mike

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    You're missing the point that I do what I want.

Welcome

Seriously, sometimes calling attention to yourself at the wrong time can be troubling. More than once in my lifetime I'm not the only one checking on a noise or car alarm or pop. A 12 gage isnt exactly discrete. Discretion is a tool, especially if one of those neighbors called the cops, you might not want to be the center of attention.

Jmho

No I dont want to what if it to death.

Last edited:

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Of course we all do what we want. It was just a simple question....Calm down. No need to get all assholish.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    You missed the edit. You will also be quite clear when the asshole comes out. No "ish" about it.

Just sayin.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You're missing the point that I do what I want.

Welcome

Seriously, sometimes calling attention to yourself at the wrong time can be troubling. More than once in my lifetime I'm not the only one checking on a noise or car alarm or pop. A 12 gage isnt exactly discrete. Discretion is a tool, especially if one of those neighbors called the cops, you might not want to be the center of attention.

Jmho

No I dont want to what if it to death.

I totally agree. If you live in neighborhood with houses close by, and there are bumps in the night, being discrete is probably the smart thing to do.

But, y'all need to move more rural! I don't have any close neighbors to see what I might be doing, or mistake me for a bad guy.

JoeAmerica

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2020
    Texas
    Using light shot, If you don’t want to shoot through your walls and injure or kill your family members by accident, yes. A shotgun IN a house is a great option. Hard to miss them. Only problem is, that a first hit on an intruder may not be a fatal, leaving the intruder alive to change it’s story and become the “victim.”

Last edited:

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I totally agree. If you live in neighborhood with houses close by, and there are bumps in the night, being discrete is probably the smart thing to do.

But, y'all need to move more rural! I don't have any close neighbors to see what I might be doing, or mistake me for a bad guy.
    Agreed. Someday I will have a secret bunker.

I just hope it's not 6 feet by 2 feet and 6 feet down.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Using light shot, If you don’t want to shoot through your walls and injure or kill your family members by accident, yes. A shotgun IN a house is a great option. Hard to miss them. Only problem is, that a fist hit on an intruder may not be a fatal, leaving the intruder alive to change it’s story and become the “victim.”
    I was taught, and like wise taught my officers that the one thing to remember about buckshot is that it penetrates.

You need to operate accordingly.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

I still use buckshot as part of my loading. If I'm still firing after 2 or 3 rounds 3 inch mag buckshot will be flying.

As I said plan accordingly. My house isnt full of people. My distances aren't far enough to worry about spread and I know my backstop. Over penetration thru people is what I consider. Knowing your backstop or beyond your target is important.

Still I start with a round or 2 of 4 shot then low grass buck shot then the 3 inch stuff.

If I were worried about lots of people outside I would be loading all 4 shot magnum.

ETA birdshot is all but useless. Better than nothing and makes a bloody wound but I wouldnt suggest it in the home. We use it for less lethal riot control at distance so consider that. It looses power too quickly imho.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Using light shot, If you don’t want to shoot through your walls and injure or kill your family members by accident, yes. A shotgun IN a house is a great option. Hard to miss them. Only problem is, that a first hit on an intruder may not be a fatal, leaving the intruder alive to change it’s story and become the “victim.”

Going to be really difficult for an intruder to claim they are a "victim" when they were shot in your house. What story does he have to change? What story can he tell?

First rule of engagement for an attacker within your home, "You are stopping a threat. You are not trying to kill the person, or wound them. You are stopping a threat."

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Until this is available at cabellas or PSA I'll stick with thors hammer and perfection.

Aka Mossberg 590A1 and Glock 19.

That backpack brings to life the promise of the shrike AR upper.

Regarding the shotgun and Glock, along with the AR and 37/40mm..
    I spent most of my career with those 2 guns not to mention the majority of my life. I have a couple older 38 revolvers hidden now that I dont have little kids in the house. I'm ok.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I still use buckshot as part of my loading. If I'm still firing after 2 or 3 rounds 3 inch mag buckshot will be flying.

As I said plan accordingly. My house isnt full of people. My distances aren't far enough to worry about spread and I know my backstop. Over penetration thru people is what I consider. Knowing your backstop or beyond your target is important.

Still I start with a round or 2 of 4 shot then low grass buck shot then the 3 inch stuff.

If I were worried about lots of people outside I would be loading all 4 shot magnum.

ETA birdshot is all but useless. Better than nothing and makes a bloody wound but I wouldnt suggest it in the home. We use it for less lethal riot control at distance so consider that. It looses power too quickly imho.

candcallen,

Do NOT make the decision to use "birdshot" inside the house ranges, believing that it's worthless for defense OR even "less lethal". = Any number of cemetery residents died from a load of # 7.5/8 birdshot at "across the bedroom" range, as it hits in a "single clump" at very close range.

Nonetheless, it's ONLY "better than nothing" for self/home defense & NOT a good choice, when compared to buckshot, imo.

yours, satx

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    that they don't require the same precision in aiming that rifles or pistols require.

I know you addressed this in a subsequent post and I mostly agree but too many have the mistaken idea that you don't have to aim a shotgun. Patterning your chosen defense load at various distances is pretty eye opening.

As I've found running the shotgun range at my club, it is possible to entirely miss an 8" plate at room distances.

Nothing a red dot or reflex site can't help though. :)

JoeAmerica

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2020
    Texas
    Do you need to put the stock against your cheek to point a gun at something?

Or is aiming when you look down the top of a barrel and line up sights?

A finger is pointed. A gun is aimed.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Do you need to put the stock against your cheek to point a gun at something?

Or is aiming when you look down the top of a barrel and line up sights?

A finger is pointed. A gun is aimed.

You have never heard of "instinctive shooting" or point and shoot?

You must not practice it either. I do. Several others do as part of their self defense practicing.

Do you think a bad guy or an intruder is going to give you a fair chance to get everything perfect in order to take a shot at them?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    candcallen,

Do NOT make the decision to use "birdshot" inside the house ranges, believing that it's worthless for defense OR even "less lethal". = Any number of cemetery residents died from a load of # 7.5/8 birdshot at "across the bedroom" range, as it hits in a "single clump" at very close range.

Nonetheless, it's ONLY "better than nothing" for self/home defense & NOT a good choice, when compared to buckshot, imo.

yours, satx

Several reasons I have mentioned birdshot as being used in home defense, comes from that the bast majority of the time, our shotguns are loaded with birdshot, most of the time. Reasons? Because it's much more likely that they would be used against four legged or slithering predators than the two legged variety.

IF we have to engage a bad guy, or intruder, I doubt that they are going to allow me the time or opportunity to switch from birdshot, to buckshot.

I have always said that for home defensive situations buckshot if preferred and optimum, but at very close ranges, birdshot can kill as well.

Adapt and improvise.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I know you addressed this in a subsequent post and I mostly agree but too many have the mistaken idea that you don't have to aim a shotgun. Patterning your chosen defense load at various distances is pretty eye opening.

As I've found running the shotgun range at my club, it is possible to entirely miss an 8" plate at room distances.

Nothing a red dot or reflex site can't help though. :)

I most definitely agree about the patterning, and think it's very important. Different loads and even different shotguns can have very different patterns. Each gun and load can be very, very different.

I use to stress that a person should practice with their shotgun and the loads they intend to use to KNOW what it does, and how it patterns. Never assume. Know.

Top Bottom