• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Twenty gauge is plenty for home defense.

Charlie,

A .410 (3") shotshell loaded with five 00 buckshot works well at house defense ranges, too. = Five of those "blue whizzers" will "ruin your whole day".
    (Frankly, I've not seen any of those shells since I returned to CONUS. - They may NOT be sold here??)

yours, satx
    Capitol Armory ad

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Charlie,

A .410 (3") shotshell loaded with five 00 buckshot works well at house defense ranges, too. = Five of those "blue whizzers" will "ruin your whole day".
    (Frankly, I've not seen any of those shells since I returned to CONUS. - They may NOT be sold here??)

yours, satx
    S&B makes them. Good luck finding them now.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Fun facts about MIssissippi and his shotgun in "El Dorado" The first time he used the shotgun on a live target, he only hit the sign knocking it loose, hitting the gunman in the head. The second time, one of the stray rounds hit Cole (John Wayne), in addition to hitting the bad guys.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    S&B makes them. Good luck finding them now.

rotor,

At least 2 ammo companies overseas make the (usually brass-case) 000 or 00-BUCK loads in 3-inch .410 (in SERBIA & TAIWAN) for "certain nations" where a SB/DB .410 is "easy to register"/possess for "small game hunting & pest control" but where larger gauges & rifled or "weapons capable of being fired more than twice w/o reloading" arms are either UNLAWFUL or REQUIRE a LOT of "paperwork"/medical clearance/training/other bureaucratic BRAVO SIERRA to lawfully acquire/use.

ADDENDA: In one place where I was TDY, any number of 2-legged "night-prowling pests" expired due to being tagged with a .410 loaded with heavy shot.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Rotor,

Inasmuch as a LOT of LE agencies are "upgrading" their armaments now, it's been my observation that any number of police supply houses have a LOT of "ugly but fully-functional" riot-guns (of several sorts), that they got as "department trade ins", for sale CHEAP.
    (Even a "well-worn" S&W 916R will serve a homeowner well as a defensive firearm, cheap/crude as those shotguns are. = I don't ever remember seeing a "worn-out in service" pump riot-gun.)

yours, satx
    When my dad was in HPD, his riot gun was a cut down J.C. Penney pump 12 gauge which we still have.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    When my dad was in HPD, his riot gun was a cut down J.C. Penney pump 12 gauge which we still have.

Aus_Schwaben,

My FIRST "LE firearm" that I was issued as a "red hot 18YO rookie" LEO was a "sawed-off" DB 10 gauge PARKER, that had been surrendered (after a suicide) by the victim's widow.
    (The little 5-man department that I was first sworn into was so poorly funded that ALL that I was issued was a "tin star', the old Parker double, a "county" credit card for gas/oil & a copy of the Penal Code.)

We county officers bought our own weapons/equipment/uniforms (IF we bought any - My "uniform", if you could call it a "uniform", was a khaki work shirt/jeans/boots/ball cap), drove our own vehicles & "learned by doing".
    (My mother had to buy me a pre-WWII .38SPL S&W revolver/gun-belt/cuffs/etc., as I was too young to buy a handgun.)
    I worked for over a YEAR before the county issued me a ONE-CHANNEL Motorola Low-Band FM radio for my car. - Until I got a radio, I "communicated with" the SO with a roll of nickels & a pay-phone.
    (There was NO training school for Deputy Constables in those long-ago days & I was too young to be a Deputy Sheriff, so the Sheriff swore me in as a Deputy Constable, assigned me a "patrol area" in Precinct 4, shook my hand & "wished me well".)

Small town & rural police work is REALLY DIFFERENT than what most LEOs ever do.
    (I spent most of my working hours recovering lost/stolen/strayed livestock & often spent more hours in the saddle than I did in a car.)
    NOTE: After 22 months "on the job", the 4 County Commissioners asked the sheriff to appoint me as the county's Stock Detective, so that I could work countywide. - The Sheriff agreed & "let me out" of PCT.4.
    (The Commissioners also voted me another 10.oo per week in base pay, which in those long-ago day was a "pretty fair" raise for a 20YO. - Primarily, as a result of that raise, being allowed some paid "overtime" & that I spent most of my working hours "out in the sticks", I both needed/was able to afford a USED 4x4 International Harvester SCOUT to replace my old/worn-out 16YO Rambler. sedan)

yours, satx

Last edited:

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    Very cool.
    883c0f3a92c7c747fd665ce83653ab40.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Cut that sum'bitch down to 10 or 12 inches and shoot it and tell me what ya' think!

Charlie,

TRY a Parker 10-gauge DB with 16" tubes IF you want to KNOW about MUZZLE-BLAST & RECOIL. = It was about as BRUTAL on the stock end, as it was at the muzzle. Nonetheless, just "SEEING IT" STOPPED a LOT of UGLY brawls W/O bloodshed.
    (That's what the OLD "sawed off" Parker that I was issued by my first LE department was. = ROTFL)

yours, satx

Top Bottom