• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    You only get the shells in the face if you are left handed. Pictures I've seen of the designer/policeman, he was right handed. One of the reasons for it never taking off was just that, no lefties.
    Ah! Read that wrong. Yeah, Lefties get a raw shake in the gun world. I taught myself how to shoot an M16 right handed to avoid keeping track of that danged brass deflector.

Those new-ish Keltec KSG beasts eject downward I think.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I can understand a lot of points after reading this thread but shit happens. I like the concept of 45 acp out of a short barrel. Being proactive with considering over penetration on the attacker or going threw your house.

I have never been in a defensive shooting so all I can do is think and share with y’all.

Last edited:

thor0812

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2020
    US
    12 gauge with 18 1/2" barrel loaded with #4 buck short brass has been my go to "in the house" gun for years and don't see that changing. Have a 1911 on the bedside table as well just in case, but wife is more comfortable grabbing the shotgun

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I can understand a lot of points after reading this thread but shit happens. I like the concept of 45 acp out of a short barrel. Being proactive with considering over penetration on the attacker or going threw your house.

I have never been in a defensive shooting so all I can do is think and share with y’all.

IMO, for my specific requirements, I think the 12 gauge pump is the best option for a home defense type weapon. In no way does that mean it's the best weapon for everyone else though.

Each person needs to evaluate their unique and specific requirements to determine what is the best option for them.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands

IMO, for my specific requirements, I think the 12 gauge pump is the best option for a home defense type weapon. In no way does that mean it's the best weapon for everyone else though.

Each person needs to evaluate their unique and specific requirements to determine what is the best option for them.
    Yep. I have a semi-auto 12 ga. now as my go to home defense meanie. It’s all situational as you say. It’s me, my bride, and our mutt here at the casa and if something goes bump in the night, I know exactly where all three of us are located. No worries about over penetration or f-ing up the house. I’m blasting away without abandon.

Leadeye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    Over the years I've heard a lot of different opinions about shotguns and home defense. There was a general misunderstanding about how fast the pellets spread out among other things. One thing though, I can't imagine anybody without body armor taking a 12 gauge 2 3/4 anything and still having much fight in them. Up close it's an enormous cartridge.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Over the years I've heard a lot of different opinions about shotguns and home defense. There was a general misunderstanding about how fast the pellets spread out among other things. One thing though, I can't imagine anybody without body armor taking a 12 gauge 2 3/4 anything and still having much fight in them. Up close it's an enormous cartridge.

I did some informal testing some years ago, using two different shotguns, (one with an 18" barrel, and the other with a 26" barrel.) various types of 12 gauge ammo, on various different building materials found in most homes.

I tested at a maximum of about 25 feet, since this was about the maximum long distance shot I would be able to take within my home.

At a distance of about 10 to 15 feet, there is very little spread in the pattern, regardless of what choke, ammo or shotgun was used. At 20 to 25 feet, there was a little more spread of the pattern, but still what I consider to be effective for the most part of home defense.

What I have learned over the years, the shotgun is a very versatile weapon because of the many various ammo types they can use, but there is no such thing as the perfect weapon.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    In your house, close up 10 to 25 feet, minimal spread but packs a heck of a punch. I prefer a handgun for home defense but a shotgun will definitely work. You still gotta have it pointed at the target. It ain't like it is on TV.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    In your house, close up 10 to 25 feet, minimal spread but packs a heck of a punch. I prefer a handgun for home defense but a shotgun will definitely work. You still gotta have it pointed at the target. It ain't like it is on TV.

Yes, despite what people may think, or what they see on TV or a movie, shotguns do need to be aimed. But, they don't require the same amount of precision in aiming to hit the target as a pistol or rifle. What might be a miss with a pistol or rifle, could still do damage with a shotgun.

Eg: If I aim center mass on an attacker, but using a shotgun miss center mass and hit the attacker in the arm, or leg, it still will do massive amounts of damage, and could still be deadly.

Leadeye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    Found an old pic of me shooting the HS-10B with one hand.

Attachments

• B85B2DB9-EE83-450C-808C-067EEBCEF50B_zpsfcq21fn5.png
      B85B2DB9-EE83-450C-808C-067EEBCEF50B_zpsfcq21fn5.png
      332.7 KB · Views: 109

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    At across-the-bedroom distances, I think my 20 ga Mossberg is as good as anything for home defense. And it's super reliable--the most important quality for any firearm.

Cityboy
    Welcome to TGT.

At typical room distances, a 20 gauge loaded with buckshot ain't no laughing matter. Plus, less recoil than a 12 gauge. Not a bad option.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Welcome to TGT.

At typical room distances, a 20 gauge loaded with buckshot ain't no laughing matter. Plus, less recoil than a 12 gauge. Not a bad option.
    A gentleman's shotgun is a mean and cruel friend at any sensible self defense distance. Pumping five or so rounds in an aggressor's direction is simply awesome firepower. The bonus is your wife can do it without even bruising her pretty shoulder. Wish I had my old 20 gage. Alas, it's been lost to the ages.

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    Shooting magnums out of my 12 ga. used to put an evil grin on my face.. I am old now and it just pisses me off that it's more work than fun. That's when I discovered the 20 ga. is not only for the young shooter, but also a relief for us old guys.

Top Bottom