• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I was able to buy 45 acp dies, some 45 acp ammo, 300 rounds of 45 acp brass and bullets, more 223 brass and bullets and 357 magnum brass. I even was able to buy powder for each caliber I own. I also noticed that mcbrides had lots of black rifles, as well as academy, and the line at the saxet gun show was not bad at all.
    Capitol Armory ad

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I don't think so. Ammo shelves are still pretty empty in my area. Quite a bit of rifle ammo, but little to no pistol ammo except for the $40+ a box ammo which seems to always be there.

Wish there was an Academy store near me, as they have 9mm ammo on sell there at a very reasonable price.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think alot of people have given up. Blood in the water will attract them out again.

We've seen no rise in the ammo situation. In fact, we've been pretty damn slow on the weekends at the gun range as a result.

Posit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I think things are getting a little better in my area. Local gun shop received a good shipment of primers last week, has had 4 ARs on hand for almost a month, powder selection is better... availability is not good, but appears to be improving.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I was at McBrides yesterday. The reloading guy said they sold 37,000 primers in 4 hours last week. These people hoading ammo and components are really pissing off those of us that are just stocking up.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I went into a local store last Saturday and asked the owner about primers - he just started laughing. There aren't any to be had locally. The shelves at Academy and Wal-mart are still bare.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Alan ill have to agree with you, people are giving up. With gas at $2.31 and on the rise hopefully some of those primer hording ones will stop. What I wanna know is how do these people have time off to go to different places? All I want is one box of lrge pistol and one box of small rifle.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I went into a local store last Saturday and asked the owner about primers - he just started laughing. There aren't any to be had locally. The shelves at Academy and Wal-mart are still bare.

Did you ever make it to the place in Bishop?

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Alan ill have to agree with you, people are giving up. With gas at $2.31 and on the rise hopefully some of those primer hording ones will stop. What I wanna know is how do these people have time off to go to different places? All I want is one box of lrge pistol and one box of small rifle.

I'd also like to know where people have the time to go to different stores for ammo, and reloading supplies while they're supposed to be at work too. Heck I don't get to go to any gun stores except for the weekends I'm not at work and well everyone knows how much ammo and equipment you can find on the shelves during the weekend. :(

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Alot of gun owners are retired or work for themselves, or in some form of traveling job... they buzz by and search around for stuff when they get the chance. You get 20 - 30 people doing this and it's going to be a desert out there.

Not only that, but alot of people are buying to profiteer, others buying for friends.

I have little need to reload right now, but you can be sure I'm going to clear our shelf of any usable goods for friends that are looking.

ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    I'd also like to know where people have the time to go to different stores for ammo, and reloading supplies while they're supposed to be at work too. Heck I don't get to go to any gun stores except for the weekends I'm not at work and well everyone knows how much ammo and equipment you can find on the shelves during the weekend. :(

Well personally I can visit 4 stores daily when i feel like it. I am at the gym every morning by 5:30 and sometimes swing by the walmart at 5. After work Ill swing by a couple other wal marts and an academy. Im pretty much stocked up now and am saving for an AR so I havent done it in a long while. Although i do it on occasion to try and find some .380 and 44 mag for friends. The stores around here finally limiting ammo purchases is making it a lot easier to find ammo too so i dont have to spend a lot of time looking for what i need.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Glad some people can get away from work to do stuff like that. I personally have to drive 30 miles out of my just to get to a store that sells ammo at descent prices, and by the time I get there on the weekend there's nothing left.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Heck I work 45 to 50 hours a week. If im not working around the house fixing stuff or working in my shop on the weekends, then I can go look for primers etc. I got a family farm that i take care of too. The cabinet business has really picked up over the past 3 months.

ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    Heck I work 45 to 50 hours a week. If im not working around the house fixing stuff or working in my shop on the weekends, then I can go look for primers etc. I got a family farm that i take care of too. The cabinet business has really picked up over the past 3 months.

I understand that and realize its hard for some people to get out and about often. I guess im somewhat lucky i work/live near all these places and have no kids......just a g/f that loves shooting just as much as me. That gives me a pass to take off to look for ammo since she hates doing that particular type of shopping lol.
    IMO though if you are really set on finding ammo you can and will. Just by checking stores 2-3 times a week in the last 2 months I've stocked up about 800 rounds of 9mm for my g/f, 500 rounds of .223, 400 rounds of .45 and 3000 rounds of 22lr. Thats not even including the rounds we've shot going to the range every week. Ive done all this without hording everything i saw everytime i saw it. Ive always left at least half of what i found (usually only see 100-200 rounds of anything at a time). In all honesty the only thing i NEVER run across is .380 and ive helped a few people from TGT get ammo if they lived in middle of nowhere and only asked they pay shipping.
    If any of you saw my "Twitter" post in the off topic section i usually update my twitter with ammo finds as well. Although like i said i havent been checking as often lately so my updates have only been maybe 1 or 2 stores a week now. I think im doing more than my share to help others here find ammo at reasonable prices but im surprised more people havent taken advantage of my twitter updates.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I think I'll have to take some vacation time and drive to every store in Idaho and get ammo. I think I'll take out a $5k loan and buy a bunch of ammo LOL.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I was also at the Saxet gunshow on the 17th. I showed up lookin' for primers, powder and who knows what. I found one stubborn old guy selling SM rifle primers for $74 per thousand(&had only 1K). I asked if he would trade for some loaded ammo, his reponse.....no. The stupid part, I brought 5 boxes of blazer brass 45 auto fmj and Gold Dot 9mm +P 124gr HP's(Boxes of 50) that I was asking $25 ea. for. Rather than trade a few boxes of loaded 45 or 9mm he would rather Gouge some poor sap on some old stock primers. As it happens I sold all 10 boxes I brought to one gent for $250(who happened to be a vendor there). ' Seems lately, all the clowns on Gunbroker are slowly backing off their stupidly outrageous prices for primers(from 70+ to only $50/1k). From what I've heard, all the major manufacturers and importers will have primers out in numbers by June. Maybe the dust is starting to settle a bit.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I haven't had a problem getting ammo around San Antonio and the AR market seems to have calmed down. They can be had for under $1000 again pretty much everywhere. It may take awhile for stores to get TOTALLY restocked on ammo, but I think the worst is over.

Top Bottom