• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    After moving here in 2018, I looked for a local bank/CU and settled on Mobil Oil. Had a few frustrations the first month or 2 but all is good. I still keep my Firefighters First CU as a backup as they are the best financial institution I have ever dealt with. I haven't used a regular bank in 30+ years.
    Venture Surplus ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ($5K limit outbound on an external XFER)
    You haven't said how they prevented you from accessing your money.
    You probably answered your own question. From my experience, all banks and CUs are absolute cսnts if you try to access anything other than trivial amounts of your money.

I only use banks for paying bills. Never keep more than a few grand in personal accounts.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Three years ago when we moved here, I interviewed a few banks and chose Community Bank of Texas. I'll readily admit that I'm in a small town but, they know me and I know them. They have been great.

That said, they have recently merged with Allegiance Bank. Of course, this concerns me. The current employees all say that they've heard good things about Allegiance and expect no changes. I hope they are correct, I don't want to have to change.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Dunno where in Texas you are but I've been with Texas Bank and Trust in Longview for 20 years, back when they were still called Longview Bank and Trust. Never a problem. They're mostly in East Texas, but have expanded into DFW lately.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I've had a Woodforest account for over 20 years, no love between us - I've kept it for PayPal (no more since their 1099 requirement) and money I don't want the wife to have access to.
    Navy Federal Credit Union has been alright. They have walk-in branches and all the online snazz.
    I have a Navy FCU account, my issue is the automatic payment system doesn't seem to work for my auto loan - but I am Mr. Glitch.
    Guess I'm in the minority.
    I have never had any issues with Chase bank.
    Been using them for 30+ years.
    Chase is OK for checking, and useless on savings - I have years- old kids' trust accounts that have literally never paid a cent in interest. They'll be going to Navy FCU when I get around to it.

Eli

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    USAA is almost as bad. I tried to transfer from savings to checking, 2 different times a couple of days apart, and all they can tell me is that the transfers are pending. On what? It's one account to another in the same CU. It's been 4 days now and the transfers are still pending. How on earth do they still operate while doing shit like this?
    Sum Ting Wong

USAAA member for 53 years, and although they aren't what they used to be, I routinely make xfers between checking/savings, as well as check deposits on phone and it is instantaneous ... funds available immediately, no matter on phone or website.

Call and holler like hell.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Without knowing anything, if you have whatever the institution considers a new account to be, you may also face limits. Account balances and history also plays a factor at some institutions.

Oh, yeah. USAA Federal Savings Bank isn’t a credit union.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Will eventually drop Wells. Not for service issues, just on principle.

Just curious, what principle? From what I have read, they are the not as anti2A as other big banks. Their service is awful though.

Does anyone have experience with Frost? I see it's a Texas bank, and seemed to have good reviews.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Wells Fargo sucks. Used them when I was young and naive. Mailed the mortgage while at the same time wife was writing checks at the stores. They all hit the same day, and the bank cleared the checks largest first in order to pad profits, so we ended up with $75 in overdraft charges instead of just $25 if the smaller checks all cleared first.

Compass (pre-buyout by BBNA) did that to us, but they did one step further - not only did they clear the debits starting with the largest ones, they also delayed applying a deposit by 24 hours so the small debits would bounce and they could charge their overdraft fees out of the deposit that would have covered everything...which we deposited a day before making the charges. When I complained, the woman I was speaking to at the branch accused me of passing bad checks and said I was lucky they didn't call the cops on me.

Guess I'm in the minority.
    I have never had any issues with Chase bank.
    Been using them for 30+ years.

I've had Chase accounts since 2010. Sure, it's a faceless monolithic organization, but they've had great customer service every time I've needed them. In-person customer service has been even better on a consistent basis.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Does anyone have experience with Frost? I see it's a Texas bank, and seemed to have good reviews.

I had an account with Frost in the mid to late 90s. They were great. Then we moved to Dallas, and there were no freaking Frost locations anywhere. We wound up having to drop them because I had a job that was too fly-by-night to do direct deposit, and I couldn't make it to a Frost location after work before they closed and could barely make it during my lunch break. So we went to Compass...see my post above on that fiasco.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    in my experience the fire and police credit unions back home were first rate

i have no idea what credit unions in Tx are like

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I wonder....is there such a thing as an indecent bank? A bank where the tellers are scantily dressed or nude? I know the business model has been applied to hair salons, coffee shops, and restaurants.....but has a bank tried it?

GeauxLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    San Antonio
    Just curious, what principle? From what I have read, they are the not as anti2A as other big banks. Their service is awful though.

True. They suck less on 2A than most but have a long and ever growing list of "questionable" practices.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

Twobravo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Tulsa
    I hate banks and credit unions in fact I told Tulsa federal/ new name to WE STREET. I don’t need to explain what they mean by that either. I called them out, out loud in the lobby when I closed my account called everyone their a wokeass bitch. Should have seen the looks first time they tried that you can only take out 2.5 k at a time in cash. I said close my account. It’s all rainbows and unicorns for them, Wokeass bitches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom