Capitol Armory ad

Is there a Mini-14 that isn’t the Mini-14?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    I would like to get a high-cap semi-auto chambered in an intermediate rifle cartridge (like 45mm case or shorter.) preferably carbine-length.

I know the AR platform is a no-brainer, but I simply can’t bring myself to use a full pistol grip stock, it just feels totally unnatural to me. Plus ARs look high-maintenance to me.

I vastly prefer the M1A platform, but:
    The standard M1A is a bit big.
    The M1A, especially in shorter lengths, is pretty pricey and .308 is a bit more gun than I’d want.

My shooting buddy fought with his Mini-14 for years trying to get even mediocre accuracy from it. He finally disposed of it.

From what I’ve read, that’s pretty much the norm for the Mini-14.

So, is there an alternative to either of those?

I guess I could live with a .308, if there were an M1A-style for under $1K.
    Hurley's Gold

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Newer Mini-14s are more accurate but they pale in comparison from any AR-15 I have ever shot. That said its either Mini 14 in .223/5.56 or x39. You can also try to find a VEPR hunter or pioneer model. Maybe an unconverted Saiga

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Attachments

• proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
      proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 851
    • proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
      proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 827

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Get an ar15. The M1 series of rifles were great when the other options were bolt actions, but the second the STG hit the field, they were outclassed.

The Ar15 is less maintenance intensive than any M1 action, and brings other benefits like modularity and accuracy, cost, and isn't as effected by mud, sand, cold, or heat.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Filthy_14_is_now_over_40_000_rounds/138-196990/

As for the ergonomics being "unnatural", coming from a guy who grew up on M1's, the AR is far more ergonomic than any M1 type action, and can actually be easily modified to fit any shooter.

If you have trouble, get training, or at the least, get a bunch of ammo

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You have to pay for accuracy in semi autos. Cheap may also be unreliable. The AR And AK are obvious choices. There isn’t much else that I would consider. Sure there are others but some are fragile or very expensive. I think you will like an AR if you ever shoot one for a period of time.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There's a company around here somewhere that will take a Mini14 and make it accurate, but it's very expensive. (I ran into a guy who had that done to his mini at a shooting range a few years ago. I want to say it was $1500 or more to do the upgrades.) Of all the decisions Bill Ruger ever made, his decision to try to minimize the Mini in hopes of keeping it off the "black rifle list" was the worst. (And it didn't work.) The design of the Mini14 is very simple and extremely reliable. It's very similar to the 30 cal M1 carbine, but with better ammo. But the magazines are unique (unlike the AR platform)(99% of reliability problems are with the mags), the barrel is too light (and wrong twist), and there's no easy way to add optics, lights, or bipods like you have on an AR. I should also mention that the factory stock is crap. I owned a Mini and really liked it, but given all the issues I just listed, I wouldn't buy another.

If Ruger had any sense about it, they'd change the mag well to take PMags, change the barrel design, and put the whole thing in an AR-style stock. I'd buy one tomorrow!

At one point Ruger announced that they were going to produce a Mini in .308. A lot of people put deposits down to get one as soon as it was released, but apparently Ruger couldn't work out the bugs and they killed the project.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The AR-15 is low maintenance, plenty accurate, and stupidly customizable. Not to mention cheap. The pistol grip really is ergonomic, but in a weird twist of fate, California's irrational laws have given us even more options when it comes the ARs.

With this one, you'd have to get the custom lower, but it will give you that traditional rifle feel. I do not know if this one is made anymore, and they weren't cheap ($500 for the complete lower/stock and the special bolt). It's a Flightlite Industries SCR. You could likely build a complete rifle for around $800 + whatever your choice in optic costs if you can find the lower and the special bolt.

fightlite-scr-guntweaks-com_orig.jpg

It used to be made by Ares Defense.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-ares-defense-scr/

This complete rifle is for sale right now, no reserve, $799 + $60 for shipping, and zero bids. It ends in 13 hours (at 3:29 PM CST).

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/836118607

Keep in mind though, not many of those were actually made, and it seems that they have been discontinued. I don't know how many parts in the lower are standard AR parts, but if something ever breaks in this thing, you're probably not going to have a fun time finding replacement parts, if they even exist.

Attachments

• fightlite-scr-guntweaks-com_orig.jpg
      fightlite-scr-guntweaks-com_orig.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 923

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    There's a company around here somewhere that will take a Mini14 and make it accurate, but it's very expensive. (I ran into a guy who had that done to his mini at a shooting range a few years ago. I want to say it was $1500 or more to do the upgrades.) Of all the decisions Bill Ruger ever made, his decision to try to minimize the Mini in hopes of keeping it off the "black rifle list" was the worst. (And it didn't work.) The design of the Mini14 is very simple and extremely reliable. It's very similar to the 30 cal M1 carbine, but with better ammo. But the magazines are unique (unlike the AR platform)(99% of reliability problems are with the mags), the barrel is too light (and wrong twist), and there's no easy way to add optics, lights, or bipods like you have on an AR. I should also mention that the factory stock is crap. I owned a Mini and really liked it, but given all the issues I just listed, I wouldn't buy another.

If Ruger had any sense about it, they'd change the mag well to take PMags, change the barrel design, and put the whole thing in an AR-style stock. I'd buy one tomorrow!

At one point Ruger announced that they were going to produce a Mini in .308. A lot of people put deposits down to get one as soon as it was released, but apparently Ruger couldn't work out the bugs and they killed the project.

Of all the M1 guns, the mini takes the most after the M14/M1A, hence "mini 14" the bolt for example, is a near replica of the M14's bolt, early mini bolts even had an actual roller, omitted once it was realized the roller did nothing except add cost

As far as simplicity goes, the AR is still unbeatable there. The AR bolt is much simpler to work on, and AR parts are easy to source quality replacements for, unlike the mini. The AR FCG is simplicity defined. The gas system on the AR I'd say edges out the mini, as the AR's piston is the tail of the bolt, and not a seperate piece like the mini

Accurizing a mini is possible, tourqe the screws, add an accu-strut, and a few other tricks get you in the relm of a $300 psa, but you might have trouble with heavier, accuracy oriented 5.56 loadings, and that $300 psa will have a much higher limit to how accurate it can be.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The AR-15 is low maintenance, plenty accurate, and stupidly customizable. Not to mention cheap. The pistol grip really is ergonomic, but in a weird twist of fate, California's irrational laws have given us even more options when it comes the ARs.

With this one, you'd have to get the custom lower, but it will give you that traditional rifle feel. I do not know if this one is made anymore, and they weren't cheap ($500 for the complete lower/stock and the special bolt). It's a Flightlite Industries SCR. You could likely build a complete rifle for around $800 + whatever your choice in optic costs if you can find the lower and the special bolt.

View attachment 187907

It used to be made by Ares Defense.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-ares-defense-scr/

This complete rifle is for sale right now, no reserve, $799 + $60 for shipping, and zero bids. It ends in 13 hours (at 3:29 PM CST).

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/836118607

Keep in mind though, not many of those were actually made, and it seems that they have been discontinued. I don't know how many parts in the lower are standard AR parts, but if something ever breaks in this thing, you're probably not going to have a fun time finding replacement parts, if they even exist.
    Very interesting. I didn't know that rifle even existed.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    An added bonus is liberals hate them. Or, look at the KelTec SU 16.

View attachment 187909

Ive shot one of those. If i couldn't have an AR, but needed a 5.56 rifle, I'd track down one of those benelli Mr1's before a keltec

And if i needed a folding stock, I'd grab a saw and get a hinge and gate lock from lowes and go japanese paratrooper with it

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    mini-14 is accurate enough as a ranch rifle, truck gun, plinker, home defense, etc. An acu-strut helps but it will never really be a match grade rifle without pouring a ton of money in to it, and even then I doubt it would outperform an AR with same amount of money in it.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Ok, so i guess the AR is the way to go

Note my handle.

The most modern rifle I own is an original Ruger M77.
    No semi-autos.
    The only military gun in its original trim is a 91/30.
    My shotguns are O/Us.

So I’m playing catch-up on long-gun technology.

I do own a Glock, though. If I can wrestle it from my son long enough to shoot it.

Top Bottom