• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Except she was being lawfully detained, if the BP had said no, she could have driven off.

It is confusing as BP is not Texas Peace Officer and has no authority for traffic enforcement. Hence why he could not do anything when she refused to move off the road. But they do have authority to stop/detain/id folks within the border area.
    To lawfully detain someone they have to be told why you are being detained...NEITHER BP agent gave an answer, when they could have said as I stated. You can hold someone up to 72 hrs (in some states) before filing charges. But to do so there must be some kind of probable cause.

Granted the girl should have pulled over and I would think she would have done so had the BP just routine stop procedure. When you tell someone they are detained they don't hear 'just want to do a routine check on Lic plates etc etc'. Folks are not tuned into LEO speak, nor do we need to be.
    Target Sports

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I guess none of you ever go through one of these check points. I have to go through one every time I go to town, just got back. I suggest you read this, https://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/fact-sheet-us-constitution-free-zone and get acquainted with what has been taken from you. At these stops they do have the right to detain you, and they will, blow them a lot of crap and your and your car will be searched if for no other reason than you pissed them off. Keep it up and DPS will be there in a bit and you will be going for a ride, nothing may come of it in the end but you're going for the ride.

I stop say good morning, talk about the weather and off we go, 30 seconds max. I know people that come off as asshats right from the get go and end up will everything in their car on the ground, and their hands on the hood, lucky to leave 30 minutes later. Guess I just don't get the baiting, guess that's cause I'm not a youngster looking to score some YouTube hits...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

Here is what the link sez:

• Normally under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the American people are not generally subject to random and arbitrary stops and searches.
    • The border, however, has always been an exception. There, the longstanding view is that the normal rules do not apply. For example the authorities do not need a warrant or probable cause to conduct a “routine search.”
    That said and I see little basically wrong with this, however they CANNOT arrest you for NOTHING folks, nor can they detain you for NOTHING, even on the border.

Was girl a little mouthy, sure, was she borderline out of line, sure, however the LEO's are NOT the Brown Shirts of hte Nazi era or the Storm Troopers or Gestapo. Its UP to the LEO to handle the situation so it does not get out of control and they did not do a very good job. Only a few days ago a young black female with her baby in the backseat was murdered in Wash DC by LEO's out of control, I hope the family sues from here to tomorrow and I suspect they will win. She was unarmed and no need to have murdered her, NONE!!!!!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I guess none of you ever go through one of these check points. I have to go through one every time I go to town, just got back. I suggest you read this, https://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/fact-sheet-us-constitution-free-zone and get acquainted with what has been taken from you. At these stops they do have the right to detain you, and they will, blow them a lot of crap and your and your car will be searched if for no other reason than you pissed them off. Keep it up and DPS will be there in a bit and you will be going for a ride, nothing may come of it in the end but you're going for the ride.

That was an interesting read...

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Again, why was the initial contact edited from the video?

It starts with him asking her to pull up and over. That's after the initial contact.

When she drove up he asked them U.S. Citizen? You answer yes and you are on your way...at least that the way it has been the hundred or so times I go through the Sarita and Falfurrias checkpoints.

There is something missing from the video...the reason he asked her to pull up and over. Something was said by either her or her companion that for some reason they don't want anyone to hear or see...why?

I believe they instigated the whole affair...jmho...

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub

It starts with him asking her to pull up and over. That's after the initial contact.

When she drove up he asked them U.S. Citizen? You answer yes and you are on your way...at least that the way it has been the hundred or so times I go through the Sarita and Falfurrias checkpoints.

There is something missing from the video...the reason he asked her to pull up and over. Something was said by either her or her companion that for some reason they don't want anyone to hear or see...why?

you believe who instigated it? the occupants of the car or the BP?

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    ok- i agree with you - when i first read your comment, i wasnt sure

yeah - i mean they had the camera ready and rolling - she knew her rights and was ready to stand her ground

the BP officer seemed rather amused at the whole thing in the beginning, as in "are you kidding me???"

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The two in the vehicle. again, jmho....

I agree they said something, most likely refused to admit they were US Citizens, which is the SOP question. Note when they were let go they admitted they were US citizens and then BP let them go.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

I would not argue with that premise at all...

Top Bottom