• lazypineapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    all my knives i can open with
    "force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force"
    some have springs assists and some don't,
    I have the Kershaws thats you touch the back of the Blade, some you flick with your the Thumb Bar,
    I even have a few switch blades.
    I bought my Spring assist @ Walmart .
    and Switchblades on the internet. mailed to me.
    Looks like Walmart is set up for a Lawsuit now. if spring assist are illegal
    My next knife is going to be OTF Kershaw Ripcord

YouTube - Kershaw Ripcord
    YouTube - Scallion Home Defense System

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I called our county attorney's office (Williamson) and asked specifically about an "assisted" knife. They do have cases pending but do not like prosecuting them so it is still unanswered.

Thanks for the response whit128! Man, I hate grey areas and really liked my Kershaw, but I got rid of it after talking to a local LEO who called our county offices about them and got essentially the same response.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why is the balisong illegal, but a single edge fixed blade is not? A balisong is a flip and stick kind of knife. Where a fixed blade is a draw and stab kind. Much quicker, and deadlier.

Even a switchblade has to be manipulated before it can be employed as a weapon. Which also makes it slower than a fixed blade knife.

Does anyone see where I am going with this?

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not to get too far off of the subject but can any of you military persons tell me if the military issues an "infidel" Benchmade OTF automatic knife.

The only issued knives in the Marine Corps are bayonets, the KaBar, and a Strider for the former Det-1, and now SOCOM guys.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The only issued knives in the Marine Corps are bayonets, the KaBar, and a Strider for the former Det-1, and now SOCOM guys.
    Almost true... the Kabar is now a "fighting bayonet" which replaced the M9 Bayo and the Ka-Bar simultaniously. There are also a wide variety of auto knives being issued, I was issued a Bechmade AFO, and have friends who were issued Gerber variants. As for the question about the infidel, no it is not issued to my knowledge. At $450 MSRP that is an expensive auto opener....

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    DirtyD, that's good stuff. I unfortunately had to carry both the "fighting bayo" (Think it's made by Ontario) AND a friggen Ka-Bar.

Those Gerber variants... Are they the EOD multitool? Those look neat.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I think they are stupid laws to begin with... why are the knives themselves even against the law? The act of using it to stab someone in the eye ball I understand... but I can use a pencil to do that...

MAKE PENCILS ILLEGAL!!!!

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    DirtyD, that's good stuff. I unfortunately had to carry both the "fighting bayo" (Think it's made by Ontario) AND a friggen Ka-Bar.

Those Gerber variants... Are they the EOD multitool? Those look neat.
    When I went over I left my kabar locked up in the quad con with my other gear in Kuwait, it was a piece of crap, the ontario fighting knife/bayonet was not being issued yet, I carried a Seal 2000 as my combat knife. I also had a plethora of other blades, but the SOG was my big fixed blade, the issued kabars were always crap... as for the Gerber auto it is not the multi-tool that was made for EOD, but a single blade knife, I can try and find a pic of one later, must say tho that I was not impressed with the Gerber, my Benchy was pretty nice.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Since you do not know the totality of the circumstances you are really not in any position to judge the officers behavior in a traffc stop you have heard third hand and really don't know jack about. Mkay?

Sure...

But you don't know jack about it either. :p

Why is the balisong illegal, but a single edge fixed blade is not? A balisong is a flip and stick kind of knife. Where a fixed blade is a draw and stab kind. Much quicker, and deadlier.

Even a switchblade has to be manipulated before it can be employed as a weapon. Which also makes it slower than a fixed blade knife.

Does anyone see where I am going with this?

Woah woah, stop right there. You're assuming legislators make laws because it's logical to do so. That's not the case.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    While assisted openers are cool I have often wondered why there are marketed? Does the high speed, low drag appeal overcome the "can beat the rap but not the ride" factor for most. I have carried either a Buck 110, an A G Russell One Hander, or a S&W 24/7 daily since the late 70's. I contend that all of them are as fast to deploy and a whole lot safer to carry than any assisted opener on the market today.

After reading some of the above post I think I'll take that cheap Chinese copy of a EDC out of my truck. With the high speed, low drag LEO's we have in my little town I don't think it's worth the hassle factor.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I find the assisted open just a little more convenient. I doubt that your old knives are faster than the one in my pocket right now, though. Nothing like being able to carry a knife hinge-down so that you don't have to reverse it out of the pocket. Still, what I carry isn't as fast as an Emerson Wave... I don't think anything is.

I also disagree that my assisted folders are unsafe. I've been carrying assisted knives for ten years now, and never had the assist feature contribute to me cutting myself.

Mostly I've carried the assisted knives because they're easy to find and usually higher quality than the non-assisted knives that are designed for one-handed opening.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I find the assisted open just a little more convenient.

This was my last carry, use daily knife. An assisted version would have been nice.

buck315.jpg

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    Not to get too far off of the subject but can any of you military persons tell me if the military issues an "infidel" Benchmade OTF automatic knife.

I was a MP and all I got was a stinkin' Leatherman! I am sure Delta is getting some cool shit like the Benchmade OTF, but who knows about all that secret squirrel shite.

Whit128,

Did you confiscate that Benchmade Infidel? You know that sucker is worth about $300 bucks?

Top Bottom