• ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World.

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC , and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the Bottom for Murders.

These 4 Cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States .

ALL 4 Cities are controlled by Democrats.

However; It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data.
    Military Camp

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Bullshit.

There's lots of places with higher unlawful homicide rates than the USA: Colombia, Venezuela, Honduras, Jamaica, Pakistan, El Salvador, more places in South America, Africa, South Pacific and the Middle East. A lot more than 2.

First sentence reads like something out of a liberal playbook.

I don't doubt if you toss out the big cities (mostly run by demokrats) the numbers would take a huge dive, but the first statement is garbage.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Bullshit.

There's lots of places with higher unlawful homicide rates than the USA: Colombia, Venezuela, Honduras, Jamaica, Pakistan, El Salvador, more places in Africa and the Middle East. A lot more than 2.

Plus how many homicides go unreported in those countries?

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World.
    Um, not only no, but "hell no." I mean, I guess it all depends on who you ask -- if you ask Mayors Against Illegal Guns, they think that Adam Lanza and the Boston marathon bomber were murdered by gun violence, so -- depends on what statistic you use.

If you go by the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC), they track "intentional homicide", which they define as "Intentional homicide is defined as unlawful death purposefully inflicted on a person by another person". Sounds like a pretty good definition to me.

By their statistics, in 2011, the USA had an "intentional homicide" rate of 4.7 per 100,000 people. Countries that had a higher homicide rate than the USA in 2011 include:
    Kenya (6.3)
    Uganda (10.9)
    South Africa (30.9)
    Bahamas (36.6)
    Dominican Republic (25.0)
    Jamaica (41.2)
    St. Vincent & the Grenadines (19.2)
    Trinidad & Tobago (26.1)
    Belize (39.0)
    Costa Rica (10.0)
    El Salvador (70.2)
    Guatemala (38.5)
    Honduras (91.6)
    Mexico (23.7)
    Nicaragua (12.6)
    Panama (21.3)
    Bermuda (12.3)
    Bolivia (7.7)
    Brazil (21.8)
    Colombia (33.2)
    Guyana (17.2)
    Uruguay (5.9)
    Kazakhstan (8.8)
    Kyrgyzstan (6.5)
    Mongolia (9.5)
    Thailand (4.8)
    Pakistan (7.8)
    Republic of Moldova (8.6)
    Russian Federation (9.7)
    Estonia (4.8)
    Lithuania (6.4)

So there's at least 31 countries out there that have a higher homicide rate than the USA does. And I say "at least" because data for 2011 wasn't in for a lot of countries. Based on past years and extrapolating forward, you can probably expect that Papua New Guinea, Latvia, Greenland, Ukraine, Belarus, maybe Sri Lanka, Timor-Este, the Philippines, Myanmar, maybe the Lao People's Democratic Republic, North Korea, Turkmenistan, definitely Venezuela, Suriname, Peru, Paraguay, French Guiana, Ecuador, Argentina, US Virgin Islands, Turks & Caicos, St. Lucia, St. Kitts & Nevis, Montserrat, Martinique, Haiti, Guadeloupe, Grenada, Dominica, Cuba, Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Barbados, Antuua & Barbuda, Anguilla, Togo, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Nigeria, Mauritania, Mali, Liberia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Ghana, Gambia, the Ivory Coast, Cape Verde, Burkina Faso, Benin, Swaziland, Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana, Sudan, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, the Congo, Chad, the Central African Republic, Angola, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Seychelles, Rwanda, Malawi, Madagascar, Ethiopia, and Comoros are all likely to show a higher murder rate than the US as well.

So -- third in murders throughout the world? NO POSSIBLE WAY, as rated by the rate per 100,000 population.

Now, if you want to count total people killed, then obviously the US will be higher than a lot of tiny countries because we have a huge population. By that metric, based on 2011 numbers, the USA had 14,612 intentional homicides. That number was exceeded by:
    South Africa (15609)
    Mexico (27199)
    Brazil (42875)
    Colombia (15572)
    India (42923)

So even by that metric, the USA would be no higher than 6th.

So no matter what, wherever you're getting your info from, sounds like they're talking out of their hat.

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC , and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the Bottom for Murders.
    Again, a load of horse manure.

Based on the homicide RATE (not the total count, but the count per residents) Chicago isn't even in the top 25 of US cities. Yes Chicago has more murders than any other city in the US, but even so, their 2013 total is only 336 so far. In 2012, the FBI says Chicago had 500, New York had 419, Los Angeles had 299. Washington DC had only 88 murders in all of 2012. In 2012, the number of murders in Houston was well over double of what DC had (217 vs. 88). Baltimore, New Orleans, Memphis, Oakland, Phoenix, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Indianapolis all had more murders than Washington DC did.

However; It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data.
    Yes, it certainly would, because all the data in your original post is so far from reality that it can only be considered absurd...

Peking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Plus how many homicides go unreported in those countries?

Exactly, clearly in such countries many things are not reported with accuracy. I do understand the point of the main post/topic and it can make sense but I can't help but question (as with any poll or study) the accuracy of the findings.

Whenever I am watching the news and they state that XX percent of the population thinks this or that I can't help but thing how many people did they ask as well how qualified where these people to answer such polls/questions.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    A lot of times when the USA homicide rate is reported relative to other countries they throw in a lot of qualifiers that may or may not mean anything. My favorite is "Among developed countries" but "Among free countries" is a nice one as well.

Usually there is little to no context. Kind of like comparing homicide rates among countries where it is legal to wear a purple top hat year round.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Interesting post ShootingTheBull - I find it interesting how incredibly high the rate is for Honduras and El Salvador - more than 2x anybody else on the list. Sounds like a couple of places to not visit.

Top Bottom