• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I buy most of my range ammo at Wal Mart, usually WWB. I bought some ammo there just before Christmas and noticed their ammo shelves were sorta sparce. The sales clerk said they hadn't had a delivery yet but would soon. Yesterday I bought another box of WWB 9mm and their shelves were almost bare. The clerk (a different one) said he had noticed a big run on the ammo dept. but he didn't normally work that dept.
    Am I being paranoid or is Wal Mart bending over for the P.C. Brady Bunch nut cases?
    Gun Zone Deals

jart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    We were told that only two WM's in SA would keep ammo and long guns. They also said that they were down sizing the entire sporting department.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I think the answer to your question is a big YES. Once Wal-Mart stopped selling pistols you knew it wouldn't be long before they bent over for the rest of the anti-gun crowd. I'm just waiting for places like Academy to go the same route.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Wal-Mart isn't about anti gun or anything else, they're about $$$$$. If they don't see sporting goods, hand guns, long guns, ammo etc. as financially effective for them, they'll drop them.

Also, each store has quite a bit of flexibility to run it as needed to compete with the market they are in direct competition with, the stores across the street, around the corner etc. It's how they can kill other businesses if it'll make money.

Our local, and brand new high end Wal-Mart (is that an oxi-moron or what? ) finally got ammo in stock. It's low right now but no sign of dropping it. They'll adjust inventory for the "local" market though. However, I'm not sure this "local" market will support it very well. The Dick's across the street only sells sporting shotgun loads. I'll be 90% of those shells will be fired at clays and targets.

That's my theory anyway. And you'll never get ot the truth through floor employees. You'll have to get to the people driving the Mercede's and BMW's that hide behind hidden walls and 1 way glass looking over you.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Wal-Mart isn't about anti gun or anything else, they're about $$$$$. If they don't see sporting goods, hand guns, long guns, ammo etc. as financially effective for them, they'll drop them.

You are making too much sense. Please cease immediately so the paranoid can cultivate their paranoia.

I will say that occasionally a store will bow to pressure such as K-Mart famously did, but I think that was at the threat of a boycott and maybe Rosie O'Donnell's threat to pull products or something that meant more to them than gun and ammo sales.

Ruggles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    No bending over to the anti gun folks at all, we simply can not get as much ammo as we would like to sell. Just like most retail involving firearms our sales in ammo have risen greatly in the past couple of months. It's the same story with the Nintendo Wii right now, we could sell dozens a day but only get in 15 or so a week.

The supply chains can be long and complex sometimes and it can really hurt the store in all departments. Right now we can not get a number of bagged dog foods in, and we are having issue in getting in certain brands of liquid dish soap.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    The Walmarts in my area still have rifles, shotguns, and very very scarce ammo selections.

I was just at Cabelas a couple days ago, and their ammo selection shelves were about bare. Between the pre-Obama times, and the Holidays they've been running out of popular calibers.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    They made no money on guns, and don't make much on ammo. And they stopped selling guns because they couldn't train the underpaid idiots that usually work there to keep the paperwork straight, the resultant fines and such cost them $$$$$$.

Eli

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    And they stopped selling guns because they couldn't train the underpaid idiots that usually work there to keep the paperwork straight, the resultant fines and such cost them $$$$$$.

Eli

I assume by "they" you mean the few stores that may have stopped selling guns and or ammo. Some still sell both, some sell ammo only and will continue if that store does well with it, or is the only game in town.

But you do make great points about gun sales and the employees. What a nightmare that could be for them.

DANNO45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    The local Wally up here was out of 45 of any kind a couple of days ago. They had plenty of 9mm and 40, though. Guess I just need a new gun in a different caliber than my 45, huh? (I mean that's good enough excuse, right?)

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Wallyworld near me (Schertz/Cibolo) has ammo in small quantities but won't even order a gun of any kind. Clerks there tell me they are going to stop selling any kind of gun but keep ammo. I'm not certain they really have a clue... just telling what I hear.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I assume by "they" you mean the few stores that may have stopped selling guns and or ammo. Some still sell both, some sell ammo only and will continue if that store does well with it, or is the only game in town.

But you do make great points about gun sales and the employees. What a nightmare that could be for them.
    Well I know firsthand accounts of managers selling firearms across the counter without 4473s, 'lost' firearms (probably from the same action), etc.
    Most stores have dropped firearms sales, understandably. I really don't object it gives 'real' gun stores a chance.

Eli

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    No 9mm!!!

I just got back from the W. M. at Hwy 121 and Ohio Dr. in Plano. I stopped in to see what their ammo supply looked like. They were completely out of 9mm. The very disinterested clerk said they can't get it from their supplier and didn't know when they would. I felt kinda guilty for interupting him while he was stacking some boxes. :( :banghead:

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Shopped all three WM's in my area today; all were almost completely out of 9mm and dang little of anything else. Asked the sporting goods manager at all three if they were going to quit selling rifles, shotguns, or ammo. All three said no unless they can't get them. Right now supply can't keep up with demand; 2 of the 3 claimed that when they get a new delivery guys buy huge quantities and empty the shelves pretty quickly. We just have to keep going by or calling. Did manage to get one box of BB (50 rds), two boxes of Remington (200 rds), and one WWB (100 rds) so guess it was a good day at Wally World after all.

xavierherrera

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    What happened to their ammo clearance sales at this time of year.

It was great picking up boxes of 9mm WWB for $7.

wilded

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Texas
    What happened to their ammo clearance sales at this time of year.

It was great picking up boxes of 9mm WWB for $7.

It is called Supply and Demand. There is a lot of demand and little supply so they do not have to run clearance on old stock. They don't have any old stock to clear. JMHO

Top Bottom