• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    There have been many gun forum threads debating the safety of keeping your home defense weapon loaded and easily available. People with children must take different options than the rest of us. However, most agree that a unloaded gun is no better than a paper weight and that's the side I take since my kids flew from the nest long ago.
    Recently I saw a old American Justice rerun about Richard Rameriz (sp?) , the "night stalker" who killed about fifteen people in Kalifornia. The fourth victim was a lady that he had tied up while he ransacked her house. She managed to work lose of her bindings and retrieve a shotgun from under the bed that they kept for home protection. She lowered down on Rameriz and pulled the trigger,.... twice (they didn't say, but it was probably a double barrel shotgun). Nothing happened, it just went click.... twice! Rameriz shot and killed her with a 22 pistol then proceeded to try to cut her heart out, but couldn't get past the breast plate, so he cut her eyes out and took them with him. He went on to kill about eleven more people before he was caught.

The reason the night stalker was able to kill the fourth victim, and eleven more people, is that her husband had unloaded the shotgun when their grandchildren had come to visit several weeks before. Apparently he never remembered to reload it. I can't imagine how that poor woman felt when she heard those clicks or the guilt her husband must feel.

All my home defense guns are loaded and within easy reach while I am at home. When company comes over I taken the necessary precautions, but when they leave, things return to normal quickly.

Oh yeah, as a side note the brilliant Diane Fienstien, who was Mayor of San Francisco at the time, held a press conference where she disclosed clues the police were using to try to track down the night stalker. The police were horrified! Rameriz made adjustments and went on killing people. The good citizens of Kalifornia thought Fienstien was so brilliant they went on to elect her to the Senate. Way to go Kalifornia!!

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I've told my wife you need to be able to transition from gun to club in seconds. Definately have to make adjustments with kids around.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    i dont keep any of my guns loaded. for some reason, my dad wont let me. he absolutely REFUSES to tell me why. theyre in a keypad entry safe about 8ft from my bed. but i hav an open box of 20ga shells and 12 rounds of .357 sitting in one of the shelves and i periodically test myself to see how quickly and efficently i can make it to my weapons and load them. sometimes i practice with the .357 and sometimes with the scatter gun. drill and practice is extremely important if you're serious about home defense.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Good Lord yes they are loaded. Loaded and stashed around my house so I don't need to run around looking for one. I grew up in a house with guns and was instructed to keep my hands off as a child and taught how to use them as soon as I could prop one up.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I always kept several guns loaded around the house, until I had children. Now with a 3 yr old running around I just can't do that. Hard compromise to make. Now I keep my H&K .45 in one of those lock boxes with the finger slots next to the bed.

slowpoke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brenham Texas
    All my weapons are loaded & chambered.
    My carry weapon is my home defense weapon. weapons not being carried
    are locked in safe.

In my home & on my property I always carry.

2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Unloaded weapons are obviously useless. The only debate I have is to put one in the chamber or not. I decided to carry +1 and leave the shotty without for HD (assuming here I have time to rack a shell in place but our nightstand gun is always chambered and ready). To be honest with no kids I think we should have one ready at all times. No kids, keep em loaded...

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    There is a loaded gun in every room.
    I live in an area where home invasion is a great possibility.
    If the grand kids come by the guns are locked up but I carry.
    I am blessed that all my grand kids are well versed in guns and gun safety.
    Two of my grand kids live with guns daily; their mother is an LEO.

pheet17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Loaded = G19, Sig P220, Ruger 22/45, Remington 870, LCP, and Walther P22

Unloaded = Colt Sauer .243

No kids at the house. I subscribe to the unloaded gun = paper weight theory, and yes the loaded ones are chambered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    We don't have kids (yet) so my husband and I each keep our revolvers loaded on the nightstand nearest to us. We also have semi-autos that are out but unloaded, mostly because there is not room in our gun cabinet to keep them there. My shotgun remains by the bed with five in the tube (buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug, buckshot) and five more in a pouch of sorts on the stock, same configuration. I don't keep it loaded +1 because I figure I'll have time to pump it and might even WANT to pump it rather than have it ready to fire. All our long guns are unloaded in a locked gun cabinet.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    We don't have kids (yet) so my husband and I each keep our revolvers loaded on the nightstand nearest to us. We also have semi-autos that are out but unloaded, mostly because there is not room in our gun cabinet to keep them there. My shotgun remains by the bed with five in the tube (buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug, buckshot) and five more in a pouch of sorts on the stock, same configuration. I don't keep it loaded +1 because I figure I'll have time to pump it and might even WANT to pump it rather than have it ready to fire. All our long guns are unloaded in a locked gun cabinet.

Dang! You people are serious! I pity the fool that comes into your house uninvited!
    Very Nice!!!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Even the ones in the safe are loaded - without exception. There's 2 guns in this house unloaded, both because there's a question of whether they'd fail if shot. Both are "heirloom" guns, so gettin' rid of 'em ain't an option. There's a 12 gauge 870 next to the file cabinet by my desk w/8 rounds in it, a .45 next to the monitors, another in my desk. Two on the wife's side (one .38, one .357) my Double Eagle on my side. 4 .45's scattered about the garage, and one tucked away in my workshop. One in the truck, one in my pocket...an' one behind the head cushion of my Lazy Boy.
    When the grandkids are over, we review the "Rules of Behaviour at Grandpa's" - and they KNOW the consequences of breakin' those rules!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Loaded, loaded, loaded. Long gun with an empty chamber because I don't want to fumble with the safety, I'm more confident in my ability to pull the charging handle back and let go under pressure. My P220 is loaded, mostly because I don't want to clear and reload ammo into the chamber over and over. Good way to wind up with a bullet set way back.

Heck, even my CZ-52 has a loaded mag and empty chamber, and that's not even a go-to for me, it's just in case I have to.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yep, loaded and ready to go. Night stand gun, carry gun in dresser drawer waiting for when I need if I'm going out, and another in my desk. That said, when the grand kids come over, even if it's a surprise visit, the first thing I do is secure them. Same thing when we have a group of people at the house that aren't seasoned "gun people" When the cleaning service is schedule, everything's in the safe. And when we're not at home, everthing's in the safe. It's a lot of in and out, but I've just got into the habbit, and it happens naturally, like putting on socks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Dang! You people are serious! I pity the fool that comes into your house uninvited!
    Very Nice!!!

I actually did think my husband was an intruder once. Funny story. He's fine, no worries. :)

Yes, I feel better at night knowing my gun is within reach, but I'll feel MUCH better once we can get our own house and put in decent locks and an alarm system too. Our apartment has one (flimsy) deadbolt and no alarm system, which sometimes makes me wonder if I'd even wake up were an intruder to break in.

A loaded gun is a useful gun. I wouldn't ever count on having time to load a gun in the event of a break-in.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom