• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I picked this up at a gun show several months ago. It had a synthetic stock and I replaced it with the original wood, ordered from Liberty Tree. It is chambered in 7.62x51 NATO.

The barrel is stamped "6-57" (below stock line, believed to be the date of production on the barrel) and marked with Hebrew letters which translate to "From the Czech." Receiver is stamped "1964" (edit to add: I don't know if this is a date or serial number) along with Star of David markings on the side and "7.62" on top.

Action is smooth, trigger is crisp and bore is in decent condition. Has been cleaned (including full disassembly and cleaning of the bolt and springs) and is stored in a gun sock in a humidity controlled closet.

A great little piece of history - especially with the markings. Lots of pics attached.

Asking $300, FTF in Austin. Will consider trades but would prefer cash.

Rifle.jpg Receiver Markings.jpg Czech Markings.jpg 762 stamp.jpg receiver inside.jpg

Note: I hold an 03 (C&R) FFL. I will have to log your name, address, DOB and DL# (will substitute CHL# if you have and prefer) in my bound book at the time of sale, so you must produce ID and I will have to copy information from it. I do not require a bill of sale otherwise. If you're not okay with this, don't offer to buy... I don't make the rules.
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Receiver is stamped 1964

Note: I hold an 03 (C&R) FFL. I will have to log your name, address, DOB and DL# (will substitute CHL# if you have and prefer) in my bound book at the time of sale, so you must produce ID and I will have to copy information from it. I do not require a bill of sale otherwise. If you're not okay with this, don't offer to buy... I don't make the rules.

It should not be in your bound book as it was not 50 years old at the time you bought it and still isn't (therefore C&R ineligible then and now).

Also the replacement stock, not being original is getting into the gray area even if it were eligible.

You bought it as a private buyer (non C&R) and it should be sold as such.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It should not be in your bound book as it was not 50 years old at the time you bought it and still isn't (therefore C&R ineligible then and now).

Also the replacement stock, not being original is getting into the gray area even if it were eligible.

You bought it as a private buyer (non C&R) and it should be sold as such.

There are differing opinions on whether a sale has to be logged if it were purchased prior to obtaining a C&R, with BATF offering different opinions in different places (including FTB). With the barrel being marked 6-57, the receiver itself is arguably at least that old (if not older), making it older than 50 years (even if Israel acquired or modified it in 1964, which could also be a serial number instead of a date).

The replacement stock was "original" for the firearm in terms of intended use and not of new manufacture, returning it to C&R status (vs. with the synthetic stock it not being C&R at the time of purchase).

I prefer to err on the safe side and log it.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Any acquisition or disposal of a C&R-eligible firearm is required to be reported in your bound book once an 03 FFL is obtained, even if the firearm was acquired prior to getting the license. Even a private sale requires the transaction to be logged into the bound book.

As for modifications, this is the ATF's ruling on that subject...

The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

More here: Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Curios & Relics | ATF

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    It is a Czech VZ-24 and is most definitely a C&R firearm. The Israeli's acquired them from the Czech's in a bulk arms buy. When they received them the armorers inspected and stamped them with the year of receipt.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It is. Sorry, wife got sick and we're traveling. Will be able to respond tonight. Several have asked for more pics and I'll put then up tonight too. On the road now...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It takes 7.62x51 NATO or .308 Winchester ammo.

.................and "7.62" on top.

Also you need to note that just because it's marked 7.62 does not mean that it can safely fire .308!!!

The upper pressure limits of the .308 are a lot greater than those of the 7.62mm NATO cartridge I think that gun you have is made for.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Also you need to note that just because it's marked 7.62 does not mean that it can safely fire .308!!!

The upper pressure limits of the .308 are a lot greater than those of the 7.62mm NATO cartridge I think that gun you have is made for.

It's less the pressure than the headspace (which I haven't checked) and have edited the first post accordingly. New pics added next.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I thought I had another good full rifle picture on my computer but I don't. Here are the trigger guard, bayonet lug/barrel/front band, and stock at the bolt handle. When I get back from the in-laws, I'll take a good full-light, full-rifle picture.

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member