• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks y'all, the compliments are all greatly appreciated. The rain cut my ranch trip a little short over the weekend, but i did manage about 300 rounds of various ammo from range ball to +P JHP and the pistol never hiccuped. Shot to point of aim at 25 yards, and with a little Kentucky windage and a sand bad, i was popping aluminum cans at 100 yds. The trigger is super crisp, and breaks at an even 5lbs (gauge measured).

For anyone with crappy HP triggers, the first step is to remove the mag disconnect. It makes an unbelievable difference.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I could never get a pistol to shoot point of aim at 25 yds.

Or maybe just my aim was really bad at 25 yds, pretty sure that was the problem, lol....

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    Thanks y'all, the compliments are all greatly appreciated. The rain cut my ranch trip a little short over the weekend, but i did manage about 300 rounds of various ammo from range ball to +P JHP and the pistol never hiccuped. Shot to point of aim at 25 yards, and with a little Kentucky windage and a sand bad, i was popping aluminum cans at 100 yds. The trigger is super crisp, and breaks at an even 5lbs (gauge measured).

For anyone with crappy HP triggers, the first step is to remove the mag disconnect. It makes an unbelievable difference.

Good to hear, I watched a video of how to remove the mag safety and might try doing it myself.
    Mine needs some polishing up and re-parkarization but nothing major

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Good to hear, I watched a video of how to remove the mag safety and might try doing it myself.
    Mine needs some polishing up and re-parkarization but nothing major

If it's the video where the guy claims you don't have the remove the trigger, be careful...that is true on only certain models mfr'd prior to a certain date. All of mine required trigger removal.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    If it's the video where the guy claims you don't have the remove the trigger, be careful...that is true on only certain models mfr'd prior to a certain date. All of mine required trigger removal.

Yup thats the one.
    Havent really checked if it would work on mine, I've got a T series from the 60s.
    Might just take it to someone to do that and some other work

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Here's the list of mods:

Throat barrel
    Polish feed ramp
    Novak Custom Extended Strong Side Safety
    Carry Bevel Treatment
    Chamfer slide stop
    Fit/adjust extractor
    C&S Commander Style Hammer & Sear
    Trigger Job
    Modify Magazine Disconnect to Drop Mags
    Remove Magazine Disconnect
    Wolff Recoil Spring
    Wolff Extra Power Firing Pin Spring
    Novaks lo-mount rear sight, Tritium dot front
    Novak's stamp
    Brushed hard chrome finish

BEAUTIFUL gun!

About how much did this cost you? I've nosed around the NOvak site, and thought about it for some of my BHPs, I just don't know how far I want to go in terms of more money on one gun vs more guns.... I have a 1976 BHP I've removed the mag disconnect from, and keep thinking about sending to Novak... but again, more money 1 gun, or more guns...

My crown jewel is the 1959 BHP in factory nickel my father bought new, then had the mag disconnect removed and the trigger smoothed out. He alternated between carrying this and his 1954 Commander LW undercover for HPD for 20+ years. A few years before he passed away, he gave both to me for safe keeping.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    got my mag disconnect removed, it did just take removing that pin since mines an older model.
    trigger is still heavy but feels cleaner

Pricing out some of novaks work I think i might get the hammer and sear, trigger job and then pretty it up with bead blasting and blueing.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks fellas. RMantoo, while the prices are shown on the Novak site, they don't have pricing for the hard chrome finish (they don't do HC in-house, and sent mine out). My total tab was just over $1,000.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    My crown jewel is the 1959 BHP in factory nickel my father bought new, then had the mag disconnect removed and the trigger smoothed out. He alternated between carrying this and his 1954 Commander LW undercover for HPD for 20+ years. A few years before he passed away, he gave both to me for safe keeping.

Awesome. Simply awesome.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Thanks fellas. RMantoo, while the prices are shown on the Novak site, they don't have pricing for the hard chrome finish (they don't do HC in-house, and sent mine out). My total tab was just over $1,000.

Thank you for posting this. I've gone over the Novak site with a fine tooth comb, and I've actually spoken with them about rebuilding/tuning one of my BHPs, and your tab seems quite a bit less expensive than I would have surmised.

The more I learn about them, the more I like Novak.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thank you for posting this. I've gone over the Novak site with a fine tooth comb, and I've actually spoken with them about rebuilding/tuning one of my BHPs, and your tab seems quite a bit less expensive than I would have surmised.

The more I learn about them, the more I like Novak.

You're welcome. I dealt solely with Mike at Novak's, and he was awesome. He called me a few times during the process to get clarification on certain things and just to update me. Like I mentioned preciously, my pistol was gone for about 6 weeks.....that short of a turnaround is pretty well unheard of especially when you consider the amount of work. I've waited six MONTHS for much less. LOL

Top Bottom