• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miller.kenneth.1991

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2021
    US
    Hello, new poster here.

Several years ago, I inherited my great grandfather's Colt single action .45 revolver. I was given two cylinders along with it; one for .45 LC and one for .45 ACP. I've kept the ACP cylinder in it, as the ammunition is easier to find and cheaper to buy.

In the ten years or so that I've had the revolver, I've fired close to 300 rounds of ACP thru it with no issues at all. Today, I was at Academy and they (finally) had some .45 ACP in stock. It was Monarch brand steel case, which I've found out is only sold by academy. Upon arriving home, I attempted to load my revolver and ran into a problem. The rounds won't seat into the cylinder completely, and stick out just far enough to keep the cylinder from rotating.

I know that it's an old gun, but I've never had this happen before. I've used ACP rounds from Winchester, Remington, Federal and Hornandy, and never had any problems. Those were all brass case, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference.

I'm a little irritated, as I'm now sitting on 100 rounds of .45 ACP that I can't fire. I'm likely going to hang on to them, but if I'd known in advance, I wouldn't have spent the money.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Any advice or explanation?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Can you mic the case and overall lengths of a couple rounds?

Have you tried rounds from both boxes?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Thoroughly clean the chambers in the cylinder.
    Steel cases have a coating on them to prevent rust. This coating might be a bit overdone on your ammo.
    More than likely this is what is preventing the cases from seating properly.
    Any fouling in the cylinder and/or the coating could cause binding of the round.

miller.kenneth.1991

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2021
    US
    Thoroughly clean the chambers in the cylinder.
    Steel cases have a coating on them to prevent rust. This coating might be a bit overdone on your ammo.
    More than likely this is what is preventing the cases from seating properly.
    Any fouling in the cylinder and/or the coating could cause binding of the round.
    I'll give that a try later tonight or tomorrow morning. I keep it pretty clean, but I'll double check just in case. I'll be as happy as the proverbial clam if I can get these rounds to seat. The old gal hadn't been fired in a long time and she needs a few rounds run thru her.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    For sure, follow the above advice. I can offer my experience with monarch. I've shot thousands of rnds in different calibers and have honestly never had an issue. At least 500 rnds of monarch 45 has cycled fine in a 1911 and xdm. That said, anything can happen and can be made out of spec. Hope it works out for you.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Mic the rim and base diameters, too...
    Screenshot_20210703-185441_Google.jpg

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I haven't shot much of it (only 1 box), but out of 2 different 1911's I've shot it out of, it was just fine.

miller.kenneth.1991

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2021
    US
    Okay, so I cleaned everything and tried again. Still no good. I tried some shells from the second box, and same thing. I'm not sure what else to try.
    25242d710bc4c75e98da18c9cc7821e9.jpg
    12e3a194a20d6bc1e1bb92e4b6389121.jpg

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The pistol is no good & must be sold immediately. I'd be a buyer @ $100...lol.

Agree with measuring the case. That lacquer coating can be thick sometimes.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I wonder if you have a carbon ring in the cylinders? If those cases are a touch long and previous cases were a touch short this may be your issue.

(This happens if you shoot a bunch of 38 Special and then try to load 357 magnum cases.)

Not sure how you clean but chucking your bore brush in a drill is the best way to remove the carbon ring. Worth a try anyways.

Reactions: gll

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    My guess from what I’ve read is the cylinder tolerance for your colt was designed for brass no steel. Steel brass is thick than brass plus it’s coated. You can’t take back, so trade , sell , or pull the components and reload them into brass cases.

Reactions: gll

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    LTC instructor here. My experiences with steel cased ammo in a revolver has 100% been that after firing, they get stuck in the cylinder. Every. Single. Time.
    I keep a rubber mallet in my LTC bag just in case some comes to qualify with a revolver and they have steel cased ammo to go with it. I explain what it is for when they go to their station and it is laying there next to their ammo and gun.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom