TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    CBC News - Toronto - Toronto police seize 400 guns in safety push

Toronto police have seized almost 400 firearms from registered owners in a six-month push aimed at reducing the number of guns on the city's streets.
    In March, officers began soliciting registered firearm owners across the city as part of what they call the Safe City Project. Many of those who had to surrender their firearms had either let their registrations lapse, or had stashed their guns improperly under beds or in closets.
    The Canadian Firearms Registry stipulates guns must be stored in a secure place.
    No charges were laid in the push, police said Tuesday.
    Targeting people who had registered their guns is a preventative measure, said Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair.
    "Legal handgun owners are not dangerous individuals," Blair told reporters at a Tuesday news conference. "But we know from experience that their firearms can become extremely dangerous when they get into the hands of criminals. And so we have undertaken a number of initiatives to reduce the availability of those handguns."
    Police estimate there are still 4,000 guns in Ontario that are being improperly stored.
    However, a critic says, the push to target registered gun owners is not getting at the root of the problem.
    "The system doesn't work. It's broken. It doesn't target the right people," Greg Farrant, a spokesman for the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, told CBC News. People who are barred from owning weapons are the ones who should be registered and tracked, he said.
    There are about 2.3 million registered guns in Ontario.
    This is our future if we are not proactive and do not exercise all peaceful means to prevent things like this from occurring here. What I want to know is why no shots were fired.
    Texas SOT

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Thats what gun registration is all about....get all your gun info in the files so later they can raid and confiscate ! The handwriting in on the wall in the US, the enemy
    are powerful and they have gun control in mind for us....Haven't forgotten the massacre of 80-90 people in Waco over an ATF lie about their having fully automatic ARs....After the massacre and gathering of their burned firearms they were turned over eventually to the Texas Rangers and supposedly warehoused somewhere.....
    To date not one auto sear, M-16 lower, or Lightening link has been exposed by anybody including LEO or the media....Did they ever exist ? I think not...

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    If the commie leaning, scum in out Nation's Capitol want to mark me as a criminal because I will never play their game regarding guns, so be it ! I will still drive under the speed limit, not drive and drink (maybe just a snort under .08, never cheat another citizen out of the value of anything knowingly, do my damndest to get along with our Texas LEOs, and behave as well as I am allowed, but if Texas needs my services I will defend our liberty with my life if necessary. Necessary meaning not just my opinion but the opinion of my fellow Texans....Semper Fi

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    In the United States I think many, many police officers wouldn't obey that kind of rule. We have a vastly different culture here than Canada when it comes to guns. I'm not sure if they have a 2nd Amendment style hard rule like us, and frankly guns mean more to Americans.

Even so, the vast majority of gun owners in the United States would hand over their guns without a fight. Maybe 1% will do something about it, at most.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If the commie leaning, scum in out Nation's Capitol want to mark me as a criminal because I will never play their game regarding guns, so be it ! I will still drive under the speed limit, not drive and drink (maybe just a snort under .08, never cheat another citizen out of the value of anything knowingly, do my damndest to get along with our Texas LEOs, and behave as well as I am allowed, but if Texas needs my services I will defend our liberty with my life if necessary. Necessary meaning not just my opinion but the opinion of my fellow Texans....Semper Fi

Calm down, no one is going to take your guns.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    [URL="http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/2006/08/ten_myths_of_longgun_registry.html"][url]http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/2006/08/ten_myths_of_longgun_registry.html[/URL][/URL]

Myth #6: The registry helps track stolen guns and forces firearms owners to be more responsible instoring their firearms. Over 50% of firearms used in crime are stolen from gun owners

False. Past Department of Justice studies found that among homicides where details were available, 84%of the firearms used in the commission of the crimes are unregistered and 74.9% are illegal guns smuggled into Canada, not the 50% some claim. Recently, Canada’s National Weapons Enforcement Support Team reported that 94% of crime guns were illegally imported into Canada. Vancouver Police report 97% of seized firearms are smuggled. Other government sources show between 9 and 16% ofcrime firearms originate in Canada. That figure is speculative as the vast majority of firearms used in crime are never recovered and most recovered guns cannot be identified as the serial numbers areremoved.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    In the United States I think many, many police officers wouldn't obey that kind of rule. We have a vastly different culture here than Canada when it comes to guns. I'm not sure if they have a 2nd Amendment style hard rule like us, and frankly guns mean more to Americans.

Even so, the vast majority of gun owners in the United States would hand over their guns without a fight. Maybe 1% will do something about it, at most.

I can't disaggree. Maybe if I had no family or kids. Especially if the odds of making a difference was so small.

Dieing for a country that, for the most part doesn't believe in anything and has no principals, isn't something I'd do lightly or flippantly.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The ATF/FBI moved on the Waco compound because there were reports of rape and pedophilia.

It's Canada... The metro pre-op cousin of Great Britain!

The ATF would have no deal if it was just about "reported rape and pedophilia."

I don't remember this, I was kind of young. There are a lot of other people on this forum who could tell you the legalities of legal searches.

From what I've gathered, the waco deal stinks.

Totally agree that Canada isn't America. Just like Britain, isn't America. We might share a lot of culture, but we are very different in the fundamentals. (at least I hope our fundamentals are still different).

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i dont knoqw aobut you guys but i lost all my guns in a card game!

and the waco incident was a slap int he face of the american people.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    The BATFE could have picked up Koresh at any time they wanted. He was not hiding from anybody. Their attack on the compound was strictly for show and publicity, and it backfired on them. This entire branch of government should have been dissolved and reorganized after this debacle. It still raises my blood pressure to even think about it.

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    Waco

Yes, there were reports of rape at the Mt. Carmel compound in Waco. So, the ATF / FBI storm the place, a gun fight ensues, and they end up burning up the kids. Great solution by your federal government. Kill the victims.

Top Bottom