• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emanon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2020
    Texas
    I completed both the classroom training and the field training on October 19, 2019. On the same day, I went online and submitted my application and faxed the certificate. I received confirmation on the 22nd and I completed fingerprinting on the 24th. On the 28th my application appeared online. By November 1st the online status showed that everything was completed except background check. Then it all stalled. By 12/23 no progress had occurred. So, I called. I was told there was no apparent holdup so a supervisor would call me. I never received the call but quickly the ball started rolling. The background cleared and the license was mailed. I received it today.

As a former state employee who is familiar with huge caseloads, I am willing to bet my application was initially assigned to a worker who was behind, or out ill, or on vacation. State office managers rarely make provisions for employees when they are behind or out of the office. The work piles up until too many complaints start rolling in or a legislative member calls and complains on behalf of a constituent.

So if your application for LTC seems to be stalled, try calling to get the ball rolling again.
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-6_17-11-24.png
      upload_2020-1-6_17-11-24.png
      32.9 KB · Views: 326

emanon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2020
    Texas
    I'm glad it worked out for you. One question tho, what is that "proof of proficiency training" requirement?

That is when you go to a shooting range to be observed by a licensed instructor to ensure you know how to properly handle and operate a firearm. The instructor gives you a certificate as proof and you provide the certificate to the state.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Okay gotcha. I though that the LTC course certificate was all they needed.
    Typically the form combines the classroom and range into the same form. However, there are some situations where you would have a classroom portion of the form and a proficiency portion;

* the person takes a classroom, but not the range at the same time, goes to the range a different day.

* the person takes an online course, then has to go take the one hour classroom at a range then the proficiency,

Skinner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2020
    San Angelo, Texas
    Good to know that calling might help as I am kind of thinking my application has fallen behind the filing cabinet. All proper information submitted 10/25/2019. As of today, finger prints and background check are still pending. According to my calculations, that's 97 days. The last email I got from them was dated 1/9/20. It stated that the license could take up to 8 business weeks. Not even sure what a business week is but I am pretty sure that was a while ago.

Skinner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2020
    San Angelo, Texas
    Well, now I am even more confused. Called and spoke to a rep. that said my background check cleared but they would know more in two weeks. Asked her what that means and she said that in two weeks they would know if the license will be issued. Patience is not one of my strong suits.

Top Bottom