Shocked, shocked - Casablanca.jpeg
      17.1 KB · Views: 476

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    The company I work for also outsources cheap engineering to India. A lot of our projects have to be redone or are total failures when run. They aren't as bad as planes crashing though.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's not just the 737 MAX, the KC-46 aerial refueler that Boeing finally delivered to the USAF has been having issues as well.

On 22 March 2019, the USAF announced it was reviewing KC-46 training after the Boeing 737 MAX groundings, as it uses a similar Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) that was implicated in two 737 MAX crashes. However, as the KC-46 is based on the Boeing 767-2C and its system takes input from dual redundant angle of attack sensors; it will disengage with stick input by the pilot.

The Air Force stated "The KC-46 has protections that ensure pilot manual inputs have override priority" and that it "does not fly the models of aircraft involved in the recent accidents" and that it is "reviewing our procedures and training as part of our normal and ongoing review process (Source)

Then on 2 April 2019, the Pentagon confirmed the USAF halted all deliveries on 23 March and until further notification, as loose material and debris were found in planes already delivered (Source).

After years of delay, the Air Force accepted the KC-46 in early 2019 only after admitting "the initial batch of aircraft will still have serious problems with their remote vision and refueling boom systems, meaning that the planes remain years away from reaching their full operational potential" (Source).

It's sad to see the once-great American company, that has built so many fine aircraft such as the B-17, B-29, etc. fall in such despair!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It's not just the 737 MAX, the KC-46 aerial refueler that Boeing finally delivered to the USAF has been having issues as well.

On 22 March 2019, the USAF announced it was reviewing KC-46 training after the Boeing 737 MAX groundings, as it uses a similar Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) that was implicated in two 737 MAX crashes. However, as the KC-46 is based on the Boeing 767-2C and its system takes input from dual redundant angle of attack sensors; it will disengage with stick input by the pilot.

The Air Force stated "The KC-46 has protections that ensure pilot manual inputs have override priority" and that it "does not fly the models of aircraft involved in the recent accidents" and that it is "reviewing our procedures and training as part of our normal and ongoing review process (Source)

Then on 2 April 2019, the Pentagon confirmed the USAF halted all deliveries on 23 March and until further notification, as loose material and debris were found in planes already delivered (Source).

After years of delay, the Air Force accepted the KC-46 in early 2019 only after admitting "the initial batch of aircraft will still have serious problems with their remote vision and refueling boom systems, meaning that the planes remain years away from reaching their full operational potential" (Source).

It's sad to see the once-great American company, that has built so many fine aircraft such as the B-17, B-29, etc. fall in such despair!

Part of the problem with the control systems is trying to take too much out of the hands of the pilot. The code is so extensive and complicated, I doubt anyone really has a handle on it.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    They quite literally poop in their streets. What makes project management believe they’re going to hold software development to a higher standard?

Some coworkers have been to India to follow a job and they came back with many stories of shitting in the street and a general dont give a crap about littering. There is plastic and other trash on the roads, trail, rivers, everywhere.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Boeing should never have had this issue. It's very similar to the issue Airbus had in some of their earlier automation of the flight control system.

Then again Americans seem to be retarded when it comes to learning from history.

para_bellum

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 29, 2019
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Offshoring is common in the electronics industry. I left my last job when I became the only engineer stateside with a "team" in China. I was sent to train them for a week and after that they were deemed self sufficient.

China labor cost is about 50% of the US, India about 30%. People at the VP/CEO/CFO level are only concerned about the numbers.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Offshoring is common in the electronics industry. I left my last job when I became the only engineer stateside with a "team" in China. I was sent to train them for a week and after that they were deemed self sufficient.

China labor cost is about 50% of the US, India about 30%. People at the VP/CEO/CFO level are only concerned about the numbers.
    You are correct, beancounters run many companies today. They only look at the price of going overseas, not the end cost. So often the initial price is a lot lower, but the end cost of dealing with all the problems (warranty claims due to poor quality, longer lead times due to the ocean voyage, etc. etc.) is higher than if they sourced in the U.S.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Top Bottom