• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    How does anyone defend that shooting??? How? I can't tell if the officer had a taser available to him. I'm assuming not all cops carry tasers. I know nothing of the incident just providing a first view response.

The only information I've been able to gather is that the person shot was attempting to break of a domestic dispute between two women. Also reported was that the man had indeed been tasered prior to the shooting. Also that his two children were in the car as he was shot.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    craigntx,

I was a lawman for 3+ decades & I would not have shot him BUT after being told repeatedly to STOP & NOT OPEN THE CAR DOOR, he would have gotten a baton strike across the shoulder blades or across the back of the knees. = That usually STOPS most anyone & you will NOT likely severely injure or kill the suspect.

What I would NOT have let him do is reach into the car, as that is often a sovereign remedy to get shot/killed yourself.

ADDENDA: When I was a BRAND NEW 18YO rookie deputy (I had been hired less than 2 weeks before.), I was STUPID enough to let a 19YO & about half drunk college kid reach into the PU (supposedly) for his DL.
    He came up with a knife, at which point my new partner, who had quietly moved to the passenger side window racked the slide on his shotgun & said, "DROP IT OR YOU'RE DEAD."
    (The creep dropped the hunting knife on the floor.)

I learned an IMPORTANT & LIFESAVING LESSON that night. = Had it not been for Larry, I would likely have been seriously injured or killed.

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    "IF" the guy was reaching for a weapon AND the cop could see that then yeah... maybe. But to following him around pointing your gun at him and being totally ignored at some point ya' gotta figure it out that the perp isn't listening to you and it's time to escalate use of force. Just because you failed to correctly assess the situation doesn't automagically justify a shooting. Shooting should be the last option on the list. And it may have been once things progressed to the point you have someone reaching inside their vehicle for "what?".

Being a cop under those conditions has to be incredibly difficult. Things go down in a hurry. To me it appears to be a case of poor training and poor judgement - on everyone's part.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    craigntx,

I was a lawman for 3+ decades & I would not have shot him BUT after being told repeatedly to STOP & NOT OPEN THE CAR DOOR, he would have gotten a baton strike across the shoulder blades or across the back of the knees. = That usually STOPS most anyone & you will NOT likely severely injure or kill the suspect.

What I would NOT have let him do is reach into the car, as that is often a sovereign remedy to get shot/killed yourself.

just my OPINION, satx
    Those were kinder, gentler times
    Don_Knotts_Barney_and_the_bullet_Andy_Griffith_Show.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Those were kinder, gentler times View attachment 224712

craigntex,

Actually, I was YOUNG & DUMB that night. = 100% MY FAULT.
    (In 1966 there was NOT even a sheriff's academy to go to & our little rural county didn't have the money for training anyway. - You "learned by doing".)

All that the county provided me , when I was sworn-in 4 days after my 18th birthday was a copy of the Penal Code, a "tin star" , a county credit card to buy gas/oil/tires & an old/sawed-off 10gauge Parker double-barrel.
    (Our officers drove their own vehicles, bought their own uniforms, weapon & equipment. - My first check was for 118.oo for 2 FIFTY-PLUS HOUR weeks. ---> I thought that I was suddenly RICH!!!)

Addenda: My mother bought me a gun-belt, holster, cuffs/case, flashlight, & a circa 1930 S&W "PRE-Model 10" for FORTY BUCKS, cash. = Things were MUCH cheaper in 1966.
    (I wasn't old enough to buy a handgun. = I liked to have never lived that down.)
    Note: In NOV 1966 "regular gas" was 16-18 cents per gallon. I drove my own 1957 RAMBLER as my 1st "cop car" & later bought a 4x4 INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER SCOUT, as most of my work was looking for "lost, strayed or stolen" livestock "out in the sticks".
    (I also was given a BIG/STRONG/8YO steel-gray Percheron gelding & a good/used roping saddle by a family friend for recovering livestock & spent about as much time in the saddle as I did in the car.= Rural police work is REALLY different than most LE work is.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The rioters do not care if its justifiable or not.

The MSM will never put out the info as its against there cause.
    True to a large degree.

But the past several months has shown when the full story gets out quickly, sometimes the riots are averted.

Top Bottom