• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    So, my wife has her Itunes on our home computer. When I bought my Ipod I installed it on my work computer. So, now I have several thousand songs here at work. I am getting laid off and need to know how to get all the music in my itunes at work to my itunes at home.
    Hurley's Gold

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    So, is there a way to take al the music on my Ipod and put it into the itunes I have at home? I tried hooking it to my home cp once and it said do you want to sync? If I would have said yes it was going to erase all my songs and install my wifes stuff. is there a way to send my ipod contents to her itunes?

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    So, is there a way to take al the music on my Ipod and put it into the itunes I have at home? I tried hooking it to my home cp once and it said do you want to sync? If I would have said yes it was going to erase all my songs and install my wifes stuff. is there a way to send my ipod contents to her itunes?

You'll have to use one of the third party tools and pull it to your work desktop, then Xfer it to a memory card or burn the files to a cd or dvd.

You can then take the memory stick / cd/dvd and add them to you home computer and have iTunes index them.

DRM sucks, and your home computer "belongs" to your wife, as far as iTunes is concerned, and to prevent possible copyright violations, it will erase any iPod that isn't "hers" that's plugged into it.

Did I mention that DRM sucks?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I'd agree with nalioth about DRM, but then again, I've never DL'd from iTunes. All my music, including my daughters iPod have MP3's from other sources, like Amazon or ripped CD's. I used to use iTunes for her iPod but not anymore. I use MediaMonkey or direct copy for both now.

You didn't say if your music was from iTunes or not. If not, it's a breeze. If so, and they're DRM, I cna't help except to say, stop using iTunes.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    DRM sucks, and your home computer "belongs" to your wife, as far as iTunes is concerned, and to prevent possible copyright violations, it will erase any iPod that isn't "hers" that's plugged into it.

This is not necessarily the case. I have 3 Ipods on my desktop. When you set your Ipod up make sure you dont have it set to AutoSync and then the only music on your Ipod will be what you import.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    You didn't say if your music was from iTunes or not. If not, it's a breeze. If so, and they're DRM, I cna't help except to say, stop using iTunes.
    It doesn't matter if it's music you wrote and played on your kazoo and own outright, in all senses of the word.

If an iPod is plugged into a computer where the iTunes is 'owned' by someone else, the iPod gets erased.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    It doesn't matter if it's music you wrote and played on your kazoo and own outright, in all senses of the word.

If an iPod is plugged into a computer where the iTunes is 'owned' by someone else, the iPod gets erased.

That is what I have noticed. Well, I will just get what I can onto a flash drive and and transfer it that way. Thanks everyone!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

I think you're confusing a couple things. DRM is encoded in the .mp3. If you, as I have, have nothing that is DRM, you can sync whatever iPod or other MP3 player you want. The only MP3's I've bought are from Amazon and I can stick them on any device I want, including with iTunes.

If you have iTunes set to auto sync, you're right, it will blow out anohter device and sync it.

I've done both with my daughters, until I got tired of managing music with 2 applications.

I think DRM files will "attach" or "assign" so to speak, to 1 device and you're stuck though. I'm not sure, I never buy using iTunes.

Disable auto sync (or rather, I think it's set it to manual sync) in iTunes and many problems and hassle goes away. Unless something has changed with recent releases.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I disabled auto sync after the first time it tried to erase all the stuff on my ipod. All the music on mine is from CDs or music that people sent me in files. I downloaded none of it.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have four different iPods that sync on my computer, I have also transfered my iTunes catalog to other computers on several occasions. Just go to program files, open iTunes, open iTunes library and drag and drop all of your songs to a portable storage device. When you get home, drag them from your storage device to your wifes iTunes, any music purchased from iTunes, the first time you play it will prompt you for your iTunes login and password, this will happen one time, after that you are good. You can authorize up to five different computers to play music purchased from your iTunes account......

Warrior108

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First, sorry to hear about the layoff.

I think the challenge here is maybe a large enough flash drive or temporary storage to move it from the work PC to transport to the home PC. Within iTunes, you can check a setting to use your iPod as a storage device. So, if synching and being able to copy those songs (that originated from the work PC )from the iPod is a question, you could ...

Unselect all of your work PC library songs to not copy to that iPod
    Synch it to remove the songs from that iPod
    (this doesn't delete songs from the PC's hard drive, just the iPod)
    Set your iPod to be a storage device
    Drag/drop your iTunes music folders to the iPod to copy all the songs
    Your iPod is now a big flash drive that contains the songs
    Take it home and copy them from your iPod to your home PC drive

... maybe something to try

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    That's sad. We've beat up the iTunes issue and I didn't even catch the laid off part.

Sorry to hear that but you're not alone these days. And plenty more will be joining you too. On the upside, I know a lot of people that are having luck finding new work and several better than what they had, as well as people changing jobs with luck. At least there is some hope. A chance to do something new!!

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    That's sad. We've beat up the iTunes issue and I didn't even catch the laid off part.

Sorry to hear that but you're not alone these days. And plenty more will be joining you too. On the upside, I know a lot of people that are having luck finding new work and several better than what they had, as well as people changing jobs with luck. At least there is some hope. A chance to do something new!!

That is the way I am seeing it. I would like to get out of the oil and gas industry anyways. I am working at getting on with the DOD and VA right now. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Top Bottom