APOD Firearms

I've been on hold with Dillon for 25 minutes to buy this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    EGW_Case_Gage_m.jpg

It only cost a few more bucks than a standard case gauge and this way you can check 7 at a time.
    I have been in the habbit of running all of my load auto brass through one of these before boxing them and putting them up

they make one that does 50 and 100 rounds at once also.
    Military Camp

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I read that part, but I'm still not sure exactly what that does. I know almost nothing about reloading.

it's a metal block with holes drilled to match the dimensions of a chamber for the particular caliber you are loading for.
    When you produce your own ammo, this is a way to double check that the ammo you produced will fit in the guns chamber.

Sometimes you can run into situations where your die isn't adjusted correctly, or you can short stroke your press and end up with a round that will not chamber properly in the field.
    this is just a way to do a final QC check on your loaded ammo

sorry, I figured it was in the reloading forum so everyone knew. Didn't mean to be a smart arse.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Oh, ok. So you drop a round in there and it's supposed to sit flush with the block when it's in the hole?

I watch my "New Posts" tab, so I just happened to see this come across there and got curious :p

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Correct.

It also will show if you crimped enough (leaving some flare on the case will cause it to hang up) and that there isn't a bulge in the case (over crimping, oversized bullet).

They catch little issues that your eye or finger may miss. Many people run their SD ammo through them also just in case.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just remove the barrel first. Excessive chambering of rounds can cause bullet setback.

If you really want to get crazy, weigh your SD rounds also. Any rounds far off average save for the range. Factories can send out powderless rounds.

There isn't a way to check for a flash hole, but if there was, I would.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Just remove the barrel first. Excessive chambering of rounds can cause bullet setback.

There isn't a way to check for a flash hole, but if there was, I would.
    actually, UniComp Corp makes the Vulcan 3 series of resonance imaging machines, they are a bit pricey at $1900 but I love mine. I can test for the presence of the flash hole without removing the primer and it even tells me the shape and diameter to within .002 th of an inch. Most people don't have the need for this type of expense, but with what I am doing, I can't afford not to have one.

It does require a 220V plug though, thats about the only downfall.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    actually, UniComp Corp makes the Vulcan 3 series of resonance imaging machines, they are a bit pricey at $1900 but I love mine. I can test for the presence of the flash hole without removing the primer and it even tells me the shape and diameter to within .002 th of an inch. Most people don't have the need for this type of expense, but with what I am doing, I can't afford not to have one.

It does require a 220V plug though, thats about the only downfall.

Great, now I have some shopping to do...........

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I use gauges of that type constantly and have one for all of the major calibers that I load. I just went in the reloading room and counted them.....12 different gauges. They get a thumbs up from this reloader!

Yes, the rifle/pistol chamber will do the same thing but the gauge is pretty tight tolerance and if the round fits in the gauge properly, you can be sure it will chamber OK. Periodically, I stop loading to make sure the rounds gauge correctly. It's a great tool and not terribly expensive.

Regarding safety, chambering rounds in the house is not my favorite thing to do. The gauge is much safer. Before I got the gauges, I chambered every round before a match and never had a malfunction in any match.

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom