• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAROLINA BAREFOOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Georgetown, Tx
    I have made my decision and had the wife pick up a Glock 36 yesterday. Now for the hard part, I am used to carying in a shoulder rig (the Army gave it to me, its Galco), but obviously thats not an option in the warmer months. So, IWB or SOB. Any thoughts?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    A lot of folks don't care for SOB because of the risk of injury to the back if one were to fall onto the firearm. I use to EDC an XD45c tactical IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck regularly and it is a pretty big gun and I wouldn't want to fall back on that. I now carry my Glock 27 more often and also carry it IWB. It's much smaller but I still wouldn't want to fall back on it.

Of the nine holsters I have for 3 pistols, none are SOB. 4 are IWB, 5 are OWB. For me personally, I've never considered SOB. Those that do carry that way, obviously have reason to and should have better input.

GAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Central Texas
    Greetings from the land of the big PX brother Soldier.

Glad to hear that you've made your decision and are getting a G36.

Reference holsters, do not go for an SOB holster. Reasons:it's harder to access under stress, it telegraphs what you're doing when you attempt to reach the weapon, if you fall it will hurt your lower back, you cannot access when sitting in your car..... just to name a few.

For years now I've been carrying AIWB and wholeheartedly recommend this carry method.

Why? It affords better concealability, less printing, faster speed in presentation, great access with the complimentary hand in case the primary hand is occupied, better defense against someone trying to grab your holstered gun in a fight, quick access while driving.... just to name a few.

If you go this route with this type of (Appendix) holster, get preferably one made from kydex. While there are many choices availabe out there I use and like very much the products by Dale Fricke ( Dale Fricke Holsters ).

Be safe in Afghanistan and always watch your six over there.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    In my opinion, SOB carry is tied with crossdraw for the second worse carry method, and the worst carry method (by a wide margin) being a shoulder holster. Do one close combatives or defensive tactics block of instruction with any of the three and you will see why. GAR's post covered most of the downsides very well! Anyways, anything on the strong side is tactically better, just get something that is comfortable and easliy accessible for you. I usually carry strong side OWB... it's what works for me. The only time I carry IWB is with a Glock 19 in a MIC holster at the appendix.

Side note 1: Crossdraw can be very useful if your primary duties involve staying with the car, and the only reason you are getting out of the car is to defend the principal. It is easy to access the gun and already has it pointing in the correct direction if you're a righty.

Side note 2: Shoulder holsters can be very useful for fobbits who probably shouldn't have guns in the first place.

Good luck!
    -Randy

CAROLINA BAREFOOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Georgetown, Tx
    OOO I hope I didn't come off as a fobit.....but I am aviation. So I can say that yall have successfully desuaded me from making a mistake. I checked out the suggested holsters and will be going with an IWB. Keep your eyes out for it, I'll post a link to whatever I decide on. Thanks again for the input.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, personally I also recommend against SOB carry. Anything is possible, however I have yet to hear of one good reason for it, and I can only think of downsides to that carry method. It's harder to access, extremely hard when seated in a vehicle, can be extremely uncomfortable when seated, requires an odd draw stroke, etc.

As far as IWB vs OWB (outside), it's personal preference. Ultimately IWB offers better concealment, however there are some OWB holsters out there that are very close and that are far more comfortable. It really depends on how you dress, your body type, and what you're willing to put up with.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    OOO I hope I didn't come off as a fobit.....

Not at all, that's why I put the smiley after that comment! It's just that every time I hear "shoudler holster" it gives me flashbacks from Baghdad, where there are more shoulder holsters per square mile than any other place on the planet. Most of the people wearing them have just enough firearms training to not execute the clearing barrel every time they walk into a chow hall.

-Randy

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Side note 1: Crossdraw can be very useful if your primary duties involve staying with the car, and the only reason you are getting out of the car is to defend the principal. It is easy to access the gun and already has it pointing in the correct direction if you're a righty.
    I have a bodyguard client that I wear plaincothes with. I often am the only one, and carry in a shoulder holster when driving. BUT, I also have to stay with him when we reach our destination, so I also carry IWB at 3 o'clock. I do that because I KNOW that is where I will go to when out of the car.

I have also had a couple of CHL students who are in the medical field. The wear scrubs and a lab coat, and shoulder holster carry works very well for them.

CAROLINA BAREFOOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Georgetown, Tx
    Yes, I agree %100. Baghdad, when I was there last rotation, was the "flagploe" of all flagpoles; way too much rank. I thought about making a cast that would hold my arm at "present arms" while outside haha. Arifjan, Kuwait was horrible also. I shoulder carry here because it is easier in PT's. Too bad I can't wear a drop-leg when I get back to the states, now that's comfortable!

I found this and want to order it, any thoughts: Dale Fricke Holsters

Something else I haven't seen: Black Jentra Glock Clip M/36 - Glock parts, accessories, and custom Glock refinishing at Rockyourglock Store

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    TXinvestigator, good point about the people wearing non-traditional pants... I often can't see the whole world from my little window!

CAROLINA BAREFOOT, regarding that Jentra clip thing, I would never shove a Glock in my pants without the trigger covered. You might be able to use it with the Razor Edge MIC holster. However, I know you can use a Clipdraw in conjunction with the MIC holster. I just use the MIC holster by itself, without a clip.

Order Clipdraw - The Original Clipdraw for Glocks

GlockTech Industries

-Randy

Top Bottom