• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    On 2-15-17, Jake the Wonder Dog had surgery on his mouth. I learned a lot and it may be worth sharing.

For a while, Jake yelped when he was eating his dry "crunchy" dog food. We figured that he had pain in his mouth, but we never really found anything wrong. He finally had some swelling on the sides of his jaw. That did it!

We took Jake to the famous East side "Dr. Mel" who has taken care of him since he was a puppy and we scheduled a surgery for 2-15. Until then, we gave Jake some antibiotic from an eye dropper twice per day.

Jake loves Dr Mel (and she loves him), so friend Bonnie and I were very confident that Jake was in good hands. We left him at the office, said our goodby's and were told to call about 12 noon.

The hours dragged by and this house seemed so empty and quiet without Wonder Dog! We called as instructed and got the news. Dr Mel had been working on Jake for about 4 hours! His jaw was filled with infection and he had to have 15 teeth pulled! We delayed coming to the office until 4pm so they could watch Jake for a couple of hours before sending him home. The tab was $370 not including the pre surgery antibotics

I was SO GLAD to see the little guy! The boy was woozy and had no interest in food or drink. That was OK as Dr. Mel said we should withhold food and water. Bonnie stayed over and I'm awfully glad that she did. The boy was pretty sick.

Next, came a couple of days and nights with Jake coughing and throwing up. It's good that I had plenty of paper towels and Windex! Even though he was pretty sick, he never "went" in the house. The little Trooper showed us that he had to go and went out to do his business as usual. He gets a gold star!

Now, four days later, he's almost back to his old puppy self! He runs a little in the yard and crawled up in my arms to snooze a few times. We got our puppy back!

So for what it's worth, here's what I learned:
    Dog breath is one thing. When it gets too bad, something is wrong. Don't wait!
    Any swelling outside the mouth....get to the Vet.
    Plan on pretty intensive care for several days. I stayed right with the boy all day every day.
    I'm absolutely certain that those infections would have killed him. He was very sick.
    I just about crapped about the $400 bill until I saw how empty this house was without Jake. I'll pay it gladly.
    Jake must have been in terrible pain for a long time. That's hard to live with, for me.

Flash
    Venture Surplus ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Glad he's doing OK.
    Glad y'all are back together.

Other mushy shit comes to mind, but I ain't gonna type it.
    Hug Jake for me.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    It's always hard to take your pet in for any kind of surgery or a health check that you know will not be good.

What was the cause of the infection to begin with?

Glad to hear he's ok. We too are taking our guy into have a teeth cleaning that I hope will not require any pulling or serious repair.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks!

Could you help me edit the title, please? I spelled surgery wrong. I was a little upset when I wrote the OP. I had a yard dog years ago but never had a companion dog. Never really knew that I could love a dog.

The part that really flips me out is that Jake had to be in extreme pain for a long time. I sure was dog dumb!

The cause? Bonnie and I have been brushing Jake's teeth recently, but it was too little, too late. The damage had already been done.

Flash

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Prayers for Jake. Will he be on soft food now?

Our Molly the Mutt had surgery for an ACL tear last month. Post op was nothing like what you had to endure but she had to wear the collar of shame for a couple weeks. It really made me feel sorry for her. At least she's walking on all fours now.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks for the edit!

Jake just spent the last hour in my arms snoozing while we watched TV. Jake has done that since he was a tiny puppy. Bonnie and I got him when he was 6 weeks old and Bonnie used to put him in her shirt pocket.

He's snoozing on the footstool "box" right beside me, now. Boy, was that $400 well spent!

Food? He was really hungry when we brought him home so Bonnie cooked him an egg in the microwave. The first few times, it came back up, but eventually, he kept some plain egg down. Bonnie bought Jake some canned food and we have given him some of that every day.

Jake loves ham and it's been our nightly ritual to share some ham before we hit the rack. I started working small pieces of ham into our nighty night ritual and he has handled it fine. We're staying away from crunchy dog food for a while.

Flash

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks for the edit!

Jake just spent the last hour in my arms snoozing while we watched TV. Jake has done that since he was a tiny puppy. Bonnie and I got him when he was 6 weeks old and Bonnie used to put him in her shirt pocket.

He's snoozing on the footstool "box" right beside me, now. Boy, was that $400 well spent!

Food? He was really hungry when we brought him home so Bonnie cooked him an egg in the microwave. The first few times, it came back up, but eventually, he kept some plain egg down. Bonnie bought Jake some canned food and we have given him some of that every day.

Jake loves ham and it's been our nightly ritual to share some ham before we hit the rack. I started working small pieces of ham into our nighty night ritual and he has handled it fine. We're staying away from crunchy dog food for a while.

Flash

Depending upon how big he is it is OK to give a dog a Tums to help settle his tummy. IIRC Jake is a little guy so snap one in half and tell him its a treat. I give them to our guys when they eat weird stuff and have tummy issues.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Jake will be 7 on April 6 and he weighs 9.5 pounds. He's little, but he is totally unaware of that. The boy has the heart of a lion! He has a short stubby tail that he carries straight up. The boy knows that he's cool and has a very high self esteem. He does have a stubborn streak and sometimes he tries to be as bull headed as I am. He won't win that match!

He has passed the stomach issues. At this point, I gotta watch the boy so he doesn't eat anything hard or crisp. I had every stitch of carpet pulled out of my house and replaced it with ceramic tile from wall to wall. There isn't a single crumb on the floor anywhere around here. If I eat chips or something and drop anything, he will surely find it. Gotta be careful.

Thanks everyone, for your positive thoughts!

Flash

Attachments

• JAKE  15  4-6-2012.jpg
      JAKE 15 4-6-2012.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 138
    Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Glad to hear that Jake is doing better, here's hoping for a full recovery.
    Came late to the small dog experience, fully appreciate your feelings and concern.
    Pandi will be 7 in August, worry about her more than my kids ...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wanted to share this saga with our members because most of us have pets and when we see them every day, fail to notice subtle changes in their habits and behavior. Jake has been in terrible pain for a long time and since he's always a quiet and respectful little guy, I failed to catch on.

We brushed his teeth (his "Buckies") but I'm a big oaf and don't have the finesse that Bonnie has. She ended up doing the brushing for Jake. We should have been doing that since he was a puppy..............but we didn't.

Here's the cool part. Dr. Mel gave us a toothbrush that fits on your finger like a condom. We already had doggie toothpaste from Petco so we'll be all set to keep his Buckies clean after he heals up. We had a dog toothbrush but had no luck with it. The finger brush looks like the answer!

There's no way the finger brush will even fit on my pinky finger, so that task will probably fall to Bonnie again. I have never even heard of brushing a dog's teeth. Boy, that's embarrassing!

Gonna use the remaining antibiotic drops starting today until they are used up. His tummy will be able to handle it, now.

Whew! This surgery has torn up almost a whole week but thank God the little guy is OK!

Flash

beatnix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    Glad to hear that Jake is doing better, here's hoping for a full recovery.
    Came late to the small dog experience, fully appreciate your feelings and concern.
    Pandi will be 7 in August, worry about her more than my kids ...

Glad Jake is okay. Went through a similar thing with my 16 yo Jack Russell. Watched him just lose his spark over the course of a couple weeks, also noticed the "tender" eating habits and a little swelling. They took out 4 teeth due to infection and he's a new dog. Kills me to think he was in that much pain for so long, but all good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Just had the distinct pleasure of calling Dr. Mel's office to report that Jake is making a great recovery after a few very difficult days. They were glad to hear it! Many times, I've seen Dr. Mel take his little head in her hands and exclaim "I could just eat you up!"...............snicker. She worked on Jake for a solid four hours and went far beyond the call of duty.

In our counting blessings department, just before Jake's surgery, my neighbor was walking his dog (Morrison) while Jake and I were doing a "walkees" out front. David stopped in to chat, offered to buy my Harley, we looked up the Kelley BB price, cut the deal and he paid me in cash! Been riding for 53 years and no one could ever guess that I would sell my bike over a dog. But I did! Anyway, I had the cash to pay Dr. Mel.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The thread has quieted down a bit. Thanks to all who expressed positive thoughts and prayers for little Jake. I'd like to repeat the key points to what we discovered:

Dogs can have "dog breath" and be OK, but if your dog has really BAD breath, something is wrong!

When they develop the nasty breath, they are fighting infections in their mouth and could be in serious pain without your knowledge. Those infections just don't get better. In fact, they get worse and if untreated, involve more teeth. Jake had 15 teeth removed! The little guys suffer in silence and get sicker and sicker as time passes.

If your little dog is less animated, he may have bad teeth and lots of pain. Jake was treated and we have our playful puppy back!

Small dogs must have some kind of dental hygiene help. Chew bones help, crunchy dog food may also keep the teeth clean, but brushing regularly is necessary, too. Who would have thought?

Thanks everyone!

Flash

Top Bottom