• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    JBSA just instituted a program to allow military personnel and government civilians (but not retirees or contractors working on base) to apply to carry a POF within their POV and to temporarily and securely store it in their POV while on JBSA and its leased properties.

Attached outlines the procedure to do so.
    Military Camp

Attachments

• Tab 1 - PGM JBSA Privately Owned Firearm Carry Policy.pdf
      238 KB · Views: 229

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wife sent that to me when it came out. So much disappointment there, beginning with the concept of leaving a firearm unattended in a vehicle.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Now extending the courtesy to retirees or contractors is also a huge slap in the face. It's a clear message those groups are not to be trusted, whereas my experience is they are just as capable (if not more) than the active duty or civil servants...

On a brighter note, my new organization is actively working to help those interesting in applying. Our boss is being very supportive and has a staff officer working with the base to ensure those who want their orange card will be able to do so as quickly as possible. I am sure there are other commanders out there who aren't as supportive, but our colonel is truly a great officer and leader!

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Just curious, what is an Orange Card? I worked at the base then at Air Intelligence before retiring a bit ago.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Our boss is being very supportive and has a staff officer working with the base to ensure those who want their orange card will be able to do so as quickly as possible...
    While it’s good news, there’s exactly zero circumstances where I will leave a firearm unattended inside a vehicle.

What also irks me is that the policy conflicts with the ability for a member in on post housing being able to store a firearm in their quarters.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    While it’s good news, there’s exactly zero circumstances where I will leave a firearm unattended inside a vehicle.

What also irks me is that the policy conflicts with the ability for a member in on post housing being able to store a firearm in their quarters.

Whereas I avoid ever leaving a firearm in a vehicle, doing so on base would be a lot more secure than off!

Did you also note the policy requires a LTC to qualify? During our staff meeting this week, Constitutional Carry was mentioned but the rationale is those with a LTC have gone through some form of training and weapons qualification.

We all know that isn't really true...

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    The package I was sent also requires that you "register" the firearm on base (make, model, serial number etc). Only registered weapons would be allowed on base to be left in your car. That was the deal break for me. I prefer not to create federal forms with my serial numbers.

Top Bottom