• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    This has gotten a lot of media attention today. Pretty cool stunt, not CGI, he really does the splits between two commercial trucks driving backwards. I found it impressive from both the driving and his ability/agility to do the stunt at 53 years old.

You can bypass the story and go directly to the stunt at 3:40

DK Firearms

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I would think there would be no way this is real.
    How can they keep the trucks in-sync without computer help or something?
    I don't care how well the trucks handle.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    The Today show says it was the real deal but like most media you can't believe it. Needed to have a chick on a motorcycle drive under him.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I think the drivers deserve 90% of the credit for that stunt.

I'd put a a laser or sonic gap measure device and one that coordinates the advance and retard of the trucks along the road while driving and put the computer in charge myself.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think the drivers deserve 90% of the credit for that stunt.

I'd put a a laser or sonic gap measure device and one that coordinates the advance and retard of the trucks along the road while driving and put the computer in charge myself.

Either that or trust the professional drivers to follow the lines marked on the pavement like they did. I am sure the driving was practiced and practiced until they got it perfect before putting him up there. Even then, probably had a few runs until they got it just right for the final cut.

With that being said, the stunt they pulled last year was pretty impressive also.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I saw the ad on the 6 o'clock news for the first time, today. They said it was done in ONE take. There were safety cables but still.............Holy smokes!

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nah. No way. How's he keep from falling over? How do they keep the truck with a trailer on it going that straight in reverse?

No way. Fake.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I have looked at this several times and there is a minor problem. Look at it and not the length of his legs. He is only 5'10". Most guys at that height are going to run 31/32 in inseam. Watch how his legs in the video seem to get longer or appear MUCH longer then his torso.

I call it semi real or semi fake, something is not right no matter...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I am impressed by the stunt. I have always liked JCVD so it was neat to see him perform.

I would think there would be no way this is real.
    How can they keep the trucks in-sync without computer help or something?
    I don't care how well the trucks handle.

From what I understand that's the entire point of the stunt, to show off Volvo's capability of their steering system.

How Volvo Created the Jean-Claude Van Damme ?Epic Split? Video - Speakeasy - WSJ

"The stunt, meant to advertise Volvo Trucks’ new dynamic steering system, has drawn more than eight million views on YouTube since the video was posted on Nov. 13."

Not certain what all their steering system is made up of. But I have no doubt computer tech was involved.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I am impressed by the stunt. I have always liked JCVD so it was neat to see him perform.

From what I understand that's the entire point of the stunt, to show off Volvo's capability of their steering system.

How Volvo Created the Jean-Claude Van Damme ?Epic Split? Video - Speakeasy - WSJ

"The stunt, meant to advertise Volvo Trucks’ new dynamic steering system, has drawn more than eight million views on YouTube since the video was posted on Nov. 13."

Not certain what all their steering system is made up of. But I have no doubt computer tech was involved.
    Thank for the link and yes, its semi real or semi fake, just as I figured...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Either that or trust the professional drivers to follow the lines marked on the pavement like they did. I am sure the driving was practiced and practiced until they got it perfect before putting him up there. Even then, probably had a few runs until they got it just right for the final cut.

With that being said, the stunt they pulled last year was pretty impressive also.

She refers to them as "robot" trucks.....

Top Bottom