• ...and so much more!
  • glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    We bought a new Jeep Wrangler JK in August 2018. It has had so many problems that it now has all of 1,951 miles on it. It has probably traveled that many miles on the back of a tow truck, which I am waiting for right now, again. We had a lemon law attorney file a claim against Chrysler and received a small settlement that was confidential so nobody knows about it, not even Chrysler's warranty program. When the original warranty ran out a couple of weeks ago, I purchased an extended warranty and they knew nothing about the settlement, so we're in good shape. This time I'm going to do my best to get the dealer to fix the blasted piece of junk, although they have asked me several times if they could buy it from us. If they make a decent offer it's theirs. I've never seen any vehicle with this many problems.
    Texas SOT

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    We bought a new Jeep Wrangler JK in August 2018. It has had so many problems that it now has all of 1,951 miles on it. It has probably traveled that many miles on the back of a tow truck, which I am waiting for right now, again. We had a lemon law attorney file a claim against Chrysler and received a small settlement that was confidential so nobody knows about it, not even Chrysler's warranty program. When the original warranty ran out a couple of weeks ago, I purchased an extended warranty and they knew nothing about the settlement, so we're in good shape. This time I'm going to do my best to get the dealer to fix the blasted piece of junk, although they have asked me several times if they could buy it from us. If they make a decent offer it's theirs. I've never seen any vehicle with this many problems.
    Make sure you write in the back of the owners manual lemon settlement and the number so the next owner can get out from under it. Which ever dealer buys it usnt gonna look thru the manual.

I was lucky when I had an expedition that had exaust getting into the cab issues that I found a note from the original owner about their claim. I made them buy it back for every penny I paid for it cause they arent allowed to resell those at dealerships without disclosure.

I called that lady and thanked her.

Oh, that exaust issue is making cops have accidents during high speed pursuit from blacking out. I'm glad I got rid of it.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    What's going on with it?

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I hadn't thought of that, and it's a good idea. I have no doubt the electrical problems will continue no matter what they do.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    For the first few months, there was nothing at all. Then it started going into "Hot Oil" mode when started cold, which makes no sense. In that mode it runs at fast idle and won't go out of first gear. Each time I got it towed to the dealer, and each time they said there was nothing wrong. Then it started burning out batteries in 3 to 4 months. It's on its 4th new battery in the last year now, and it's dead. We can't drive it if it won't start, and I'm too old to jump start it. Besides that, I'm an accountant, you wouldn't want me to try to change wiper blades, I'm not mechanically inclined at all. All the dealer does is replace the battery and say it was a defective battery. Last time we got it back, the check engine warning light was on when we picked it up, the dimwits in the service department didn't even look to see why. There were a couple of other things that went wrong, but I can't remember them all.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    There are some good Jeep forums where issues and buybacks are discussed. I have a 2019 JL and some of those owners have successfully done buybacks. Knock on wood but I've only had the steering damper recall.

Unfortunately, most service departments are idiots. While I received free oil changes for a couple of years anyone with a JL knows NOT to do this. The JL holds one less quart than a JK but about 80% of techs overfill as if it were a JK.

If the JK has the stop/start similar to the JL, that tiny battery dies frequently though mine has held out. When the small one starts going bad then it frequently causes the main battery to die soon after. I have a jumper I can add to two posts when it dies to bypass and let everything run off the main battery. But I have stop/start turned off anyway.

Wranglers aren't known to be trouble-free though I can't complain. Forums have long threads regarding tricks, tips and hacks.

One the plus side, used car values are stupid high right now with mine only showing a few grand less than 2019 msrp. Granted I wouldn't get that on trade but your trade-in value should be good. Wranglers hold their value as silly as that seems. But new car inventory is low and overpriced too with the fun related to chip shortages.

Last edited:

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    It's at the dealer now, they are going to look at it and make me an offer. Anything reasonable and it's theirs. And the reason we've kept it is partly emotional, we bought it for my wife and I really wanted her to be comfortable with it, and we've been unable to find something to trade it for that both of us could agree on.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Hmmm. I've seen dozens with the 3.6l engine having oil cooler leaks across all platforms but I guess those models just haven't hit independent shops yet. Typically we don't see new vehicles until they're about 3 years old 'cept maybe for oil changes.

I wouldn't blame you for dumping it. Nothing worse than an unreliable vehicle.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey G Man,

We had a Chevy EquibomB (equinox) ........what a total piece of KRAP!

Spent way more time on the FLATBED (all four wheels LOCKED the *&cK UP!" ) than my late Bride ever did driving it....

Ever since Jeep got "hooked up" with Dodge....yikes!

Wish you luck!

Later, Mark

raggu0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Damn. That's a lot to go through. Hopefully the settlement was decent, even though you say "small" perhaps that's subjective. Hate to say it... buy being an 08 Toyota FJ owner... Join this club ;)

Top Bottom