• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I never vacuum seal jerky that I make at home.
    Jerky can still have some moisture and heat in it and if you vacuum seal it, you are just sealing that in and asking for mold.
    If you want to vacuum seal it, let it set for a long time to cool and off gas before sealing it.

I store mine 1 of 2 ways.
    In a paper sack in the pantry or in a plastic or glass jar with a lid that I have poked several pin holes in it.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Wipe the mold off with vinegar and eat it. Without any details on how you made it, can't really say for sure where you went wrong, other than too much moisture is the probable cause.

SMOKE, salt, and PINK SALT are your allies in jerky making. Moist, warm air is a nemisis.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I never vacuum seal jerky that I make at home.
    Jerky can still have some moisture and heat in it and if you vacuum seal it, you are just sealing that in and asking for mold.
    If you want to vacuum seal it, let it set for a long time to cool and off gas before sealing it.

I store mine 1 of 2 ways.
    In a paper sack in the pantry or in a plastic or glass jar with a lid that I have poked several pin holes in it.
    I would think that by vacuum sealing it, you're removing the oxygen, and mold shouldn't be able to grow without oxygen.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I would think that by vacuum sealing it, you're removing the oxygen, and mold shouldn't be able to grow without oxygen.
    You dont get it all
    Like Bozz said you can out add O2 scrubbers but I just do it the way it was done for years, before there were vacuum sealers and it works fine

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Have ran off a bit of jerky over the years. You figgered out the biggest enemy..aka mold. Mold can be prevented by either shutting off the O2 or reducing the moisture content. As with the earlier good advice. Cool it down slow and let it have plenty of air. Store it for short term use in a brown paper bag. Mid term storage..air tight bag or jar with a paper towel or dessicant pack in it. Both work well. For longer term storage seal it as airtight as is practical and freeze it. Never put it in the frig sealed up in plastic bag..that causes condensation..which leads back to mold. The existing mold can be handled by wiping it off with a vinegar soaked rag...but it comes back pretty quick. Best of fortunes.

Top Bottom