• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    For the movie nerd/geek in a few of us. Count me in as I find the challenges and process to make a movie good/bad/indifferent is something.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In the kitchen fight scene, Caine's wind-up before knocking one guy over a counter was pure Saturday-morning cartoon stuff. Then I pondered some more and much more stuff fit the same category. So...
    Kane is an upgraded Zatoichi (the original blind swordsman).
    ...I'm going to have to look this up and educate myself about what a Zatoichi is. Maybe that knowledge will make the movie better for me.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    In the kitchen fight scene, Caine's wind-up before knocking one guy over a counter was pure Saturday-morning cartoon stuff. Then I pondered some more and much more stuff fit the same category. So...

...I'm going to have to look this up and educate myself about what a Zatoichi is. Maybe that knowledge will make the movie better for me.
    Zatoichi was a blind swodssman/yakuza/Robin Hood character. Look up the Criterion Collection of the films, especially the older ones featuring Tonkaru Katsu. His preternatural senses enable him defeat all manner of bad guys.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

tumblr_ovv7y8eAUj1sl21koo1_500.gif

Zatoichi was known for having his sword hidden inside his blind man's cane. There were quite a few movies made about his story (as mentioned before). A wandering, blind ronin making a living as a masseur while righting wrongs and protecting the innocent.

tumblr_pnr2zj96ke1qc5j12o1_500.gif

Plus there was the Rutger Hauer vehicle "Blind Fury" that was based on the Zatoichi legend, except Americanized and moved up to the 80s with a Dutch superstar.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    View attachment 391145

Zatoichi was known for having his sword hidden inside his blind man's cane. There were quite a few movies made about his story (as mentioned before). A wandering, blind ronin making a living as a masseur while righting wrongs and protecting the innocent.

View attachment 391147

Plus there was the Rutger Hauer vehicle "Blind Fury" that was based on the Zatoichi legend, except Americanized and moved up to the 80s with a Dutch superstar.
    Makes me think of Denzel Washington staring in 'Book of Eli' 2010

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 24

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Makes me think of Denzel Washington staring in 'Book of Eli' 2010

That one may or may not have been inspired by Zatoichi - I honestly don't know. But "Blind Fury" definitely was - it's brought up every time the movie is discussed, and Rutger Hauer used to talk about it being a direct inspriation as well.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    In #4, the black guy with the dog and the lever-action takedown rifle was odd. Does JW always require a friend with a rifle to keep him alive? And he gave up $40M to save the life of his dog. That was bizarre. It tugs at the heart, I suppose. I find myself wishing Mr. Nobody had not been in the movie.
    Set up for movie #5.

Top Bottom