Join TexasGunTalk

Joined the Mosin club...

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Andy, Jan 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Active Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    A colleague at work needed some cash and was selling a Mosin 91/30 - so we stopped off at his apartment after work on Friday and picked this thing up. Subsequent googling identifies it as a 1942 Izhevsk.

It looks brand-new - I assume refurbed. The rifling is very strong - he says he's fired 20 rounds through it, which I believe - he did an awesome job steaming out the cosmo, too. It came with 30 rounds of Prvi soft-point ammo and 200 milsurp FMJ, a long-ass spike-bayo, oil-can, cleaning-kit, sling, pouches...

2ldgigz.jpg

Went to the range today to try it out. 50 yard w/ irons - 1st group at the bottom to get used to the trigger, 2nd at the top:

34e953d.jpg

I tapped the front sight over to center the groups after I took this pic; I think this rifle is a keeper :)

2. itchin

itchin TGT Addict

Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    That's good work with irons.

3. Chupacabra Hunter

Chupacabra Hunter TGT Addict

Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    nice shooting. I just ordered a mosin from cope's distributing..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4. GlockOwner

GlockOwner TGT Addict

Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Welcome to the club. Mine is one of my favorite guns i have

5. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Awesome!! I have to say, I really love mine too. They are great guns. I have a 1942 as well but she is still waiting for me to get around to cleaning her up to shooting her. For the price of the rifle and ammo (at this point) you can't go wrong.

6. mosin

mosin Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Welcome to the club! Good shooting too, was that with surplus or privileged?

U know the surplus ammo is corrosive I'm guessing.

7. Mreed911

Mreed911 TGT Addict

Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Not saying you don't, but you know what corrosive means in that context, right?

Clean soon after you shoot. The ammo leaves behind deposits that attract water, leading to rust. I've seen recommendations that some diltuted Windex is a good first-pass to get rid of the chemicals and trace moisture, then clean as normal.

Just posting so that information gets put in.

8. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    I know this is going to sound funny, but I bet you money that if you took it back out and installed the bayonet and shot it again, it would be about dead on.
    I have test fired over a dozen of these and found the great majority of them shoot about 2-3 to the right at 100 yards but with the bayonet installed they are much closer to center.
    I don't know what torque the bayonet puts on them but I think they are sighted in with them on

Also, there was a guy on Ebay selling a front site tool that used a threaded knob to make small adjustments.

9. mosin

mosin Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Username=Mosin I know what it means lol. Yeah leaves behind KCl salts. Anything like water Windex whatever flush 'em out and clean like usual.

10. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I concur with Vmax. The 91/30 is designed to be fired with the bayonet fixed. The Russians never even issued bayonet scabbards. They were supposed to be affixed to the rifle or in a pinch, the bayonet can be slid through the uniform belt. The Russians and Bulgarians were bayonet freaks and that's how they fought.

Flash